“Love the Sunflower Motel”
Review of Sunflower Motel

Sunflower Motel
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Hiawatha
Sunflower Motel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hiawatha B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 21, 2013

What a great motel I stayed here for a week almost a year ago & truly enjoyed my stay. My room clean & comfortable couldn't ask for anything more. Mary the owner what a sweet person always concerned about her guests & their needs. Looking forwards to returning again this year.

Room Tip: All rooms are good
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
8  Thank lorie w

Reviewed March 12, 2013

The exterior of the motel was in disrepair and needs an urgent facelift The nearest stairs from the parking lot to our room were roped off due to the needed repairs. The rooms were clean and we were told they were recently renovated (hate to see what they looked like before they were upgraded). Nothing real special, Fridge and microwave in the room, along with an old CRT TV. Beds were comfortable. If you need a place to stay for 1 night, this place is ok, but in my opinion, the price of the room seems a little high for waht you get. I've stayed at better motels that offered more and cost a lot less. Next time we are going to try one of the other motels in the Hiawatha area.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank SBert-NE
Reviewed February 24, 2013

This is a older very clean motel that is american owned and operated, no box chain motel. The owners are very friendly and accomadating, they had bought this fixer up motel a few years ago and are slowly bringing the life and charm back into this older 50's place.. There are a few amenaties missing that you would get from the chain motels, that I didn't get here, such as hairblower, exhaust fan in bathroom, large room, or continential breakfast. The beds were very comfortable, room was decorated that made you feel cozy and it was quiet. Didn't like the outside entry to room but that was the style in the 50's, bathrooms were small,but clean and free of mold. I thought the owners should of cleared the parking lot of snow. Prices were reasonable for the 3 rooms that I rented. The motel is located further in.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank vlhazen
Reviewed January 20, 2013

The decor was in good condition, looked like new carpet and paint. However, the bathroom is very small and the opening to get into the bathroom is very narrow. I am 5'6" and had to turn sideways to get in. The problem is that it has a stall shower and the wall for it is maybe 18" to 2 feet directly in front of the door. Also, the shower head will not point down so the water was hitting me in the neck. Any shorter and it would hit your face the whole time. Also, because the stall is 3' feet or less square, no room to move back. The bed and pillows were neither one comfortable. The heat and the wireless internet both worked well and the room was clean.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank scoreboardman
Reviewed November 29, 2012

Came up to Hiawatha for some company training for the week and stayed at the Sunflower Motel. Was greeted with a warm and welcoming smile by the owner Mary. Since it was my first time in this town she gave me helpful information about the area like where to shop and great local restaurants to try. The room was newly remodeled and was very clean and comfortable. It had up to date items like a mini fridge, microwave and coffee maker, new carpet, and new bed, the HVAC unit was excellent in both quality and performance. If I'm ever up this way again I will definitely be staying here. Thanks Mary, you mad my stay a memorable one.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
5  Thank Taylor M
Reviewed November 14, 2012

In October, 2012, I had the occasion to drive back and forth from Denver to Indianapolis. Going in both directions, I stayed half way at the Sunflower Motel in Hiawatha, Kansas, on US 36. I had discovered the motel the year before when I made a similar trip and I couldn't wait to spend two nights there again. When I called from Denver to make the reservations, I began by saying to Mary (the co-owner) that I didn't know whether she'd remember me. Indeed she not only remembered me but also the precise nature of my trip. You're not apt to find such a personal connection at any motel/hotel chain, especially after only a single visit. My evenings there were wonderful. We had long, friendly conversations which were so welcomed by me after driving all day by myself. One time, on Mary's recommendation, I drove a short way out of town to The Country Cabin Restaurant for dinner, which was a real treat. The room at the motel was as lovely as I had recalled it to be, combining comfort and warm, homey decorations. Mary and Mike have lovingly renovated this older motel and their little touches are in evidence everywhere. For example, in my bathroom hung a small painting of flowers with the following inscription: "All the flowers of tomorrow are in the seeds of today". They are definitely sowing many seeds through their generous hospitality and those of us fortunate enough to be part of this are blooming just a little brighter than we otherwise would.

Room Tip: In the four nights that I've stayed there over the last two years, all of my rooms were superb.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
4  Thank Vince S
Reviewed October 2, 2012

The room I was given was one of the newly redecorated rooms. It had a microwave, fridge, and coffee maker. Also there was a table with two chairs. The beds were comfortable and had new pretty bedspreads. The bathroom was clean as was the room. Mary, the owner was very friendly. The only thing I didn't like was the not too safe steps that have to be climbed to get to the room. A ramp would help people with disabilities or bad knees. This motel was built in the 1950's. I would recommend staying here, only thing about this town is there is no place to get breakfast but McDonald's.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank Flower212
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hiawatha
Best Western Plus Hiawatha Hotel
#2 of 3 in Sabetha
Super 8 Mound City
Super 8 Mound City
#2 of 2 in Mound City

Been to Sunflower Motel? Share your experiences!