“Avoid if under 5'6" or Have Broad Shoulders”
Review of Sunflower Motel

Sunflower Motel
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Hiawatha
Sunflower Motel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hiawatha B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 20, 2013

The decor was in good condition, looked like new carpet and paint. However, the bathroom is very small and the opening to get into the bathroom is very narrow. I am 5'6" and had to turn sideways to get in. The problem is that it has a stall shower and the wall for it is maybe 18" to 2 feet directly in front of the door. Also, the shower head will not point down so the water was hitting me in the neck. Any shorter and it would hit your face the whole time. Also, because the stall is 3' feet or less square, no room to move back. The bed and pillows were neither one comfortable. The heat and the wireless internet both worked well and the room was clean.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank scoreboardman

Reviewed November 29, 2012

Came up to Hiawatha for some company training for the week and stayed at the Sunflower Motel. Was greeted with a warm and welcoming smile by the owner Mary. Since it was my first time in this town she gave me helpful information about the area like where to shop and great local restaurants to try. The room was newly remodeled and was very clean and comfortable. It had up to date items like a mini fridge, microwave and coffee maker, new carpet, and new bed, the HVAC unit was excellent in both quality and performance. If I'm ever up this way again I will definitely be staying here. Thanks Mary, you mad my stay a memorable one.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
5  Thank Taylor M
Reviewed November 14, 2012

In October, 2012, I had the occasion to drive back and forth from Denver to Indianapolis. Going in both directions, I stayed half way at the Sunflower Motel in Hiawatha, Kansas, on US 36. I had discovered the motel the year before when I made a similar trip and I couldn't wait to spend two nights there again. When I called from Denver to make the reservations, I began by saying to Mary (the co-owner) that I didn't know whether she'd remember me. Indeed she not only remembered me but also the precise nature of my trip. You're not apt to find such a personal connection at any motel/hotel chain, especially after only a single visit. My evenings there were wonderful. We had long, friendly conversations which were so welcomed by me after driving all day by myself. One time, on Mary's recommendation, I drove a short way out of town to The Country Cabin Restaurant for dinner, which was a real treat. The room at the motel was as lovely as I had recalled it to be, combining comfort and warm, homey decorations. Mary and Mike have lovingly renovated this older motel and their little touches are in evidence everywhere. For example, in my bathroom hung a small painting of flowers with the following inscription: "All the flowers of tomorrow are in the seeds of today". They are definitely sowing many seeds through their generous hospitality and those of us fortunate enough to be part of this are blooming just a little brighter than we otherwise would.

Room Tip: In the four nights that I've stayed there over the last two years, all of my rooms were superb.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
4  Thank Vince S
Reviewed October 2, 2012

The room I was given was one of the newly redecorated rooms. It had a microwave, fridge, and coffee maker. Also there was a table with two chairs. The beds were comfortable and had new pretty bedspreads. The bathroom was clean as was the room. Mary, the owner was very friendly. The only thing I didn't like was the not too safe steps that have to be climbed to get to the room. A ramp would help people with disabilities or bad knees. This motel was built in the 1950's. I would recommend staying here, only thing about this town is there is no place to get breakfast but McDonald's.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank Flower212
Reviewed September 29, 2012

My wife and I had the pleasure of sleeping in the "pink-room" with the king bed! I was given a choice by Mary. This is a true piece of Americana that Mary left the hustle and bustle of a major city to offer a great service in this sleepy, sleepy little town. Mary, the owner, is so dang excited to be alive and she just loves to help anyway she can. Whether it is related to the Motel or otherwise. Unfortunately our trip was to attend a funeral, but this cozy, clean room, and the awesome bed were fantastic. Immediately following the funeral we needed to head south back to Texas, I didnt really want to drive in the clothing I wore to the service, so I asked Mary what time checkout time was b/c I would like to change clothes, she replied 11:00, but she said you can check out later if you want 12 or 1pm if needed, Well as funerals go we ended running very late and I called Mary about 1pm and told her we probly wouldnt be back until right at 2pm, she said hey you can check out at 3 or 4pm if needed!! We certainly got back and checked out before 4 pm, and she would not take any money from me for the the extra time and allowing me to keep room. She is a HUGE asset to the community of Hiawatha, and to everyone she meets......you walk away feeling better, and if you dont, you are just one of those sad folks who loves to be miserable...........btw, did I mention one of the rooms quoted to me was less than $50! I dont know how that falls into the catagory of "big city prices".....hmmm, guess some people just arent happy if they arent happy....btw your welcome, I fought in combat to protect your right to find the negative in everything and speak about it.....enjoy. Thank you so much Mary, you are AWESOME, totally and completely good people through and through.

Room Tip: Mary prides herself on each room having its own unique decor, and she is happy to describe them to y...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
6  Thank BretTheParakeet
Reviewed June 1, 2012

I stayed here in March of 2012 and really enjoyed my stay. I arrived really late at night and never once felt like a burden to Mrs. Mary. She went out of her way to make my family feel welcomed and at home, especially since I had to bring my 2 dogs with me on short notice. She was very flexible and extremely generous to me. Mrs. Mary and Mr. Mike are definitely deserving of anyone's business. They go out of their way to accommodate their guests in any way possible and the rates are very affordable. You don't feel like you're staying at a hotel at all. When you stay here you feel as though you're staying with an old friend. I will definitely be staying with them again.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
6  Thank Amanda W
Reviewed May 28, 2012

The current owners have had the property about two years,and are in the process of renovating it. This is a big challenge for them. As other reviewed have noted, and the photo demonstrates, the rooms are about seven steps above the parking lot level. This could be quite a challenge for limited mobility guests.

The Wi fi access works well, rated at about 11MBps. Bed comfortable, Amana AC met the challenge of the Kansas heat. New carpet and drapes, room smoke free with no nasty odor.

The room did not have a desk. Perhaps the next time I stay that will have been placed.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank mudala

Been to Sunflower Motel? Share your experiences!