“Basic flip-flops motel”
Review of Econo Lodge

Econo Lodge
Ranked #4 of 13 Hotels in Hays
Reviewed August 22, 2013 via mobile

You get what you pay for. Low price - wear your flip-flops in the room. Room was clean, bed was comfortable. That's about it. Furniture was garage sale quality, walls needed repair and painting. Air conditioner blower runs 24/7. However did have a fridge and microwave. This is one of those stops where the less time spent in the room the better.

• Stayed: August 2013
Sean P, General Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded August 23, 2013

Dear Guntherhead,
Thank you so much for posting your recent stay review. I see that your stay was good but still we failed to meet your expectations. We apologize for that. Thank you for commenting on our hotel amenities like microwave, fridge and comfortable beds with clean room. Please feel free to contact us directly at gm.ks058@choicehotels.com or 785-625-4839 so that we have clear understanding about other feedbacks besides furniture, wall and paint. Thank you again for chosing us and hope to see you again when Hays is your destination.

There are newer reviews for Econo Lodge

Reviewed August 17, 2013

We had planned on staying at the Clarion in Salina but time was fleeting and I was tired so chose this choice hotel chain to stay. It was old, dirty and had no real amenities. The plugs in the room were overcrowded, the tv was outdated and the bed not that comfortable. I would never stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Sean P, General Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded August 19, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share your review of our property. I am sorry that we failed to meet your expectations and I apologize on behalf of our entire team. I would be more than happy for you to contact me directly at 785-625-4839 to provide us more details. You can also email me at gm.ks058@choicehotels.com . We will be waiting for your call or email so that we can find out little more about your comments. Thank you again for chosing us on your recent trip to Wichita.

Reviewed August 15, 2013

We stayed at the Econo Lodge in Hays on the 6th of August. I was appalled by the condition of the three chairs in our first floor room. There was an easy chair that you'd find in someone's living room and there was a cigarette burn on the arm (a non-smoking room), the fabric on the arms were worn thin and they were obviously very soiled. The other two chairs were wood with a fabric seat cushion. One of them was all stained and I wasn't sure with what. It really gave me the creeps and no one would sit in any of the chairs. The downstairs hall way smelled of smoke and either the hotel or two guests had electrical air purifiers running in the hall.

In the morning I found my wife trying to squash some sort of a large beetle that just wouldn't die after being stepped on. Needless to say on our return trip from Colorado we stayed in the Days Inn next door.

Room Tip: Stay at another hotel.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Robert M
Sean P, General Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded August 16, 2013

Dear Robert M,

Thank you so much for your honest review following your recent stay with us. I am sorry that your recent stay with us was not what you hoped it would be.

First and foremost I need to apologise for the inconvenience you and your wife went through during your stay. Your feedbacks are valuable as that helps us to improve our service for future guest.

I thank you for your honest feedback and I hope we have the chance to welcome you back again in the future for a much better experience.

Reviewed August 12, 2013

I stayed there last night and the staff is very friendly. The hotel is in the middle of two big city thus making it a great location to stop by and rest. Also I liked how close the restaurants are from here, I could walk to any after a long drive. Would stay here again if I'm by Hays in another occasion.

Dear Jrshields28,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post this review following your recent stay with us. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay at our facilities. Yes you are right on our location. We are located within walking distance of many restaurants. I look forward to welcoming you on your next visit to Hays.

Reviewed August 11, 2013

My wife and kids were headed back home after a long trip and were looking for a place to rest before heading back on the road. We usually stay at the Holiday Inn on the north side of town. However, when we got there had no vacancies for the type of room that needed. They recommended the EconoLodge as they had great reviews. They gave us a room that fit our need (unfortunately they didn't have rooms with new beds). For the price we got a great deal. The rooms were very clean. The service for the breakfast was great as well. Though it wasn't what we usually do, we thought the breakfast was great for being a-so-called budget hotel. If we ever go through Hays again, we will likely stay here. The only complaints I would have is that the hallways are stuffy and smelled a bit like cigarette smoke... but he said that hey would be a non smoking hotel in the coming months.Overall it was a clean hotel with friendly service.

• Stayed: August 2013
Sean P, General Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded August 12, 2013

Dear JohnWilson1960, Thank you so much for taking the time to review and rate your recent experience with us. I am delighted you were pleased with your stay and would recommend the property to other travellers. I look forward to welcoming your family back on your next Hays visit.

Reviewed August 4, 2013

While I must say that Hector was VERY nice, this hotel was gross and nasty. The room reeked of disinfectant and the floors were sticky. We joked that someone must've cleaned up a crime scene in the hallway because there was a fan and air purifier running just outside our room. This did nothing to hide the smell.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Sean P, General Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded August 6, 2013

I am so disappointed to read your review following your recent stay with us.

I first and foremost would like to apologise for any inconvenience that you may have went through during your stay. I would be more than happy for you to contact me directly at 785-625-4839 to provide more details on this so that I can follow up with the individuals involved like our head housekeeper and chief engineer. We appreciate positive as well as negative feedback and I would like to thank you for bringing this to our attention. Look like I also need to check on our housekeeping cleaning chemicals as it left our floor sticky.

Reviewed July 26, 2013 via mobile

I hadn't planned to stop in Hays, but driving two hours in a storm that wasn't going to let up did me in. This place had the best Trip Advisor rating for the price, so I gave it a shot.

The desk person was very nice, and explain he only had a couple of rooms left (no surprise). Two were non-smoking, but he said one had been smoked in and he wasn't sure how it smelled. That was the cheapest of the room, but he gave me that price for the other one.

While the room did not smell of smoke, the hallway certainly did. Both that night as well as in the morning. Seems the downpour was motivating the addicts to selfish measures. I didn't even want to have breakfast because cigarette smell turns my stomach. I simply left.

The room appeared old, with an old CRT television and chipped enamel in the tub investing in touch-up paint would do wonders for the appearance. Overall, I appreciated the last minute accommodation. The guy at the desk did say they were slowly making improvements, no it can only get better.

• Stayed: July 2013
Sean P, General Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2013

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave this detailed review following your recent experience at EconoLodge in Hays. Yes, We are gradually improving our facilities. We are also in process of having modern TV . We have that in our improvement plan. We really appreciate all of your feedback and will take that into consideration and will try our best to improve on all of them.
Thank you so much for staying with us and I look forward to welcome you on your next visit to Hays.