WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of Fairfield Inn Hays

Fairfield Inn Hays
Ranked #10 of 15 Hotels in Hays
tulsa,ok
“If you want ot take a break and get good sleep ,Dont go there.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

We had booked a room at this place, well in advance for our trip ,since this was like the mid point to our journey to Colorado.We reached there at around 10 at night and were given a king bed room inspite of us reserving a 2 double bed. I travelled with my husband and our 9 year old, so two double beds would be Ideal. We asked them to change our room and they refused citing that all the rooms were booked. Although I couldn't believe what they said we were tired and didn't want to argue.
We were given a room in the first floor .And it was a room for people with Disabilities. As soon as i entered the room I noticed a moist/mildew smell. It was so bad i started sneezing as soon as we entered the room.The AC was not turned on and when we tried to turn it on it wouldnt start . We called the front desk and the guy came in, carelessly removed the ac cover and tried Different things in there. Apparently he had no clue what he was doing. then he paged another guy and both of them came in and tried various other things.They couldn't turn it on and left the room to get some help. My husband reduced the temperature and it then started . It had stopped again a bunch of times and we had to call them again. Their advice was to crank it up every 5 minutes gradually or the AC will freeze and stop working. I was really angry at this point and had asked them if something else was available and once again we were refused another room.We couldn't go anywhere else since we had already paid for the room .
in addition to the temperature issue, the AC sounded like a Freight train whenever it would start. On top of this the Road noise was also pretty bad inside the room. So between the Road noise and the AC i got little to no sleep.
The bedrooms were another story.They were rust marks all over the shower and the towels looked old and were a diminished white almost looked yellowish.
All in all we wanted to get some rest in between our long trip and we would have been better of driving another 5 hours straight instead of staying here. Will never ever stay back here at any cost.I would rather sleep in my car on the side of the highway because thats exactly how it felt.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Springfield, Missouri
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2013

We had a free one-night stay here through a rewards program. No major problems but a few observations. There was a slight but persistent mildew smell every time we entered our room. The towels were VERY thin and limp. The next morning (Sat.), we picked a peak time to go down for the free breakfast: no seating, most hot selections wiped out, and one young attendant struggling to keep things going. The hotel space for breakfast is one the smallest I've ever seen and the scene was a little chaotic. Things got better after 30 minutes or so, and the food was pretty decent. Try to go early or late for breakfast, esp. on a weekend. Not a terrible stay, but I might pick a different place next time in Hays.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Gypsyrover51
Woodbridge, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2013

I chose Fairfield because I wanted a guaranteed non-smoking room and Marriott properties are good for that. The room was clean, fresh, and comfortable. Internet worked great. Breakfast was very good. But the parking lot light shined into Room 309. Even the darkening curtains could not contain the light. I want a dark room to sleep and this wasn't dark. Very disappointing. Maybe I should have told someone but I'm not normally a complainer. Except here, apparently.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Denver, CO
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2013

This hotel would've gotten another star except the rooms are looking a little tired. The location, parking, etc are all very good. The front desk staff is very friendly and helpful with restaurant suggestions. This is a great hotel for a stopover.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Oklahoma
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2013

I needed a place for one night on a quick trip from Denver to OKC. The staff was friendly, the room was clean and I had no problems. I needed an early start so I hit the breakfast early and was very pleased with the quality and variety.
An added note, Due to a recent injury I have not been able to sleep in a bed. However, I was able to relax in the bed here. I can't quite figure out why but it worked.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2013 via mobile

Great place to stop on the way through Kansas! Rooms were very comfortable. Convenient to the highway. We slept through the breakfast as we got there really late. Free Internet worked well. We will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed May 2013
Missouri50
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

We stayed at the Fairfield Inn in Hays for a track meet. We were there two nights. The hotel is clean, and while one of the older Fairfield Inns, it seems to be kept up quite well. The hotel is located just off I-70 and is near a Walmart supercenter and a couple of restaurants (Applebees, etc.). The staff was very good and attentive. Had a light go out in the bathroom and the young man working the front desk had it replaced in minutes. Clean, consistent Marriott brand and would recommend for anyone needing a night in Hays. Give Gella's Restaurant a try too!

Room Tip: We were in a room at the end of the hall and it worked very well.