“Good night's stay”
Review of Fairfield Inn Hays

Fairfield Inn Hays
Ranked #10 of 13 Hotels in Hays
Reviewed July 18, 2012

Randy, Front Desk, is most helpful and courteous. Room was nice. Only disappointment was that the hotel advertised fresh fruit as a breakfast item. There was no fruit but they had yogurt, breads, frozen breakfast sandwiches, and hard boiled eggs. Many restaurants within driving area.

Room Tip: Get a room on the backside of the hotel to avoid highway noise.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank NeilRocks
There are newer reviews for Fairfield Inn Hays

Reviewed July 13, 2012 via mobile

Let's face it, Kansas is flat and boring. But this hotel is a great respite along the way. Clean and comfortable. Last stop before Denver.

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank Shishkabob
Reviewed June 30, 2012

Our room smelled like a wet dog. So did the hallway and stairway, but especially our room, it was overpowering. My wife said it smelled like mold to her, but I'm sticking with wet dog. And we don't even have a dog.

I could go into further details of the room but it's really hard to get past the wet dog thing. The room was basically ok, the shower was fine, the sheets did have a hole and didn't really fit the bed. The tub seems permanently dirty, like it's a 20+ year old plastic tub where the grime is permanently imbedded. It looks like the hotel has had a minor remodel since our last stay, my wife asked how you could remodel a room without cleaning it (as in everything still looks old and grimy). I have to say overall it falls pretty short of what you usually expect from anything with the Marriott name on it, even without the wet dog smell.

Sadly it does seem to be the nicest place in town that allows pets, so if you're traveling with a dog (wet or otherwise) this may be the place for you. If you're not traveling with pets there's no reason to even consider staying here.

This is a solid 2 stars at best, but since we do occasionally travel with our cats I'll give them an extra star for being pet friendly.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank M421
Reviewed June 29, 2012

I have stayed at this hotel many times in the past and had good accomodations. This time was terrible, the room smelled so musty i told the clerk i needed a different room he offered me febreze air freshner because they were full, i said just cancel my reservation and i will go somewhere else....i was told they could not do that...if i left i would be billed for the room. Then i found out the toilet would not flush, the AC did not work properly. Too many nice hotels in Hays KS to waist your money on this poorly managed hotel!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed June 22, 2012

So far I have seen exposed pipes in the bathroom, rust around the tub, an unflushed toilet and a hole in my sheets. Not worthy of the Marriott name.

• Stayed: June 2012
Reviewed June 1, 2012

The bathroom was not as clean as it should have been. The room was very noisy from the rooms on the floor above which was very creaky (not experienced problems from rooms on the floor above before). The coffee at breakfast was very weak and they had run out of all types of jelly! This is the worse Marriott we have stayed in and as we have a gold and silver Marriott card we have stayed in quite a few.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed May 24, 2012

I had to stay here for business travel, and was less than pleased at the service, cleanliness, and over all hospitality of this Hotel.

The shower had a shampoo that was already used in it the first day I checked in, the couch in the room had stains on it, and the room lacked a directory of nearby Restaurants. I also realized that hallway traffic made my room very noisy, and found myself waking up periodically through the night as other guests opened and closed doors. The gym was very small and ill kept.

On the second day of my stay I had hoped they would replace the shampoo and conditioner, and to my surprise when I returned that night, it was still not stocked.

At check out, I asked the staff for more information on getting a rewards card, and they told me to go online, with no instructions as to getting this stay put on my rewards card. The front desk staff payed no mind in greeting the hotel stayers. The hotel also lacked a sense of security, and made me feel unsafe outside of my room.

This hotel has great potential if necessary renovations are made:
* Bath tub/ shower (model in my room was way outdated) I noticed a lot of rust on the fixtures
* Better care of room furnishings IE the couch, which sported easily cleaned stains on the outdated model
* Elevator --- very scary ride, loud, jerky, and wood paneled. Riding in this at night was very unsettling.
* Vending --- THIS IS IN THE MARRIOTT FAMILY?? You should at least have water available on all floors... The snack machine was almost completely out of stock.

Basically the odds of me or my company doing business with this hotel again... NOT A CHANCE. My company only books with MARRIOTT hotels unless circumstances such as this arise. I'll be staying at the new HOLIDAY INN which is the neighboring hotel. I personally think the MARRIOTT is cheapening their brand by letting a hotel like this be part of them. It's a sad day when a person rather book a holiday inn over a Marriott.

Thank you!
BUYERS BEWARE

Room Tip: Thoroughly inspect your room.... review other reviews about this hotel on here before you consider s...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business