“Food”
Review of Super 8 Hays KS

Super 8 Hays KS
Ranked #7 of 13 Hotels in Hays
Reviewed July 29, 2012

Hotel did have hard boiled eggs on the menu, now they do not only sweet things, frosted flacks, sweet rolls, waffles etc. Diabetics have a hard time with this. It would be nice if this one item would return, the hotel staff stated the new Management Co. would not let them do this any longer.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank wro75
HaysManager, General Manager at Super 8 Hays KS, responded to this reviewResponded July 31, 2012

I'm sure the staff didn't mean to mislead you in anyway, but it is our Brand (Super 8) not our new management company that has changed the standards. Super 8 is rolling out a new Enhanced Super 8 Breakfast Standard to ensure consistency in breakfast presentation, appearance and choice of food items at all Super 8 hotels. The Signature Item is the Simply Super Cinnamon Roll. In addition each motel is to have wheat and white bread, Golden Malted Waffles, Yoplait Yogurt, Fruit or Dole Fruit Cups, Kellog's cereal, Florida's Natural Orange and Apple Juice, Milk and Farmers Brothers coffee. Super 8 does allow each Super 8 to have one additional regional or rotational food item, clearly labeled so it isnot expected at other Super 8 Motels. Thank you for your suggestion. I a certainly leaning towards adding the hard boiled eggs back in as our additional item.

Reviewed July 10, 2012

I had asked for a quiet upstairs room and immediately upon checking in, the manager asked me if it was OK that they had put me in a room with a king bed and mentioned that despite a baseball team being on the same floor, she assured me my stay would be quiet. The concern was genuine and greatly appreciated. The staff was very friendly. Breakfast was good, fairly typical of most hotels nowadays. The room was quiet comfortable and my stay was quiet and cool even though it was 110 outside.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo

I am so glad that you had a good stay. I have a lot of great people that work here. I have passed on your kind words to them. Its been a long hot summer already and it is cool to have the positive comments posted. Thank you!

Reviewed July 9, 2012

Granted, I stayed here because it's cheap. I'm fine with cheap & I'm fine with small - I'm not fine with hair all over the bathroom....especially if it does not belong to me. Hair on the sink, the toilet, the bathtub and the floor - just not OK. Like I've posted before, I own a property management company and I'm very particular about cleanliness - I would not allow a guest of mine to check into a condo with bathrooms that looked like this. The bed was clean - no problems there. When I asked the lady at the desk for 2 more pillows, she was great about getting them for me. The desk staff was very nice and very helpful. The house keeping staff has a LONG ways to go.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business

Thank you for responding to my email asking for more information. I appreciate you giving me more of the specifics of your stay so that I could follow up with my staff to correct the situation. I have followed up with the appropriate departments to ensure that your concerns have been addressed. Our goal is to meet and exceed all of our guests expectations and I am sorry this didn't happen when you stayed. I hope that you will give us another chance and stay with us in the future.

Reviewed July 1, 2012

I've been coming to Hays for a class at Fort Hays State of an on for the last year, and usually stay at the Baymont. I gave the Super 8 a try this weekend, and not only was the price much better...the room was much better as well. The room was clean, the air conditioner worked great, the bathroom was extreemly clean, and the bed was really nice. You can not beat the price, and I will for sure be staying at the Super 8 each time I come into town.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank FortHaysStudent
Management response:Responded July 3, 2012

Thank you for giving us the opportunity to be of service to you and for posting this review.. We appreicate the business that FHSU brings to our community. Students such as yourself, parents dropping their freshman off for the first time, tiger sports fans, suporters of the arts and musical events, confernece attendees and of course those same parents comming to see their seniors graduate, are all welcome at the Hays Super 8!

Reviewed June 28, 2012 via mobile

My husband is staying here and I come to see him due to other issues. Upon arriving at this super 8, I noticed that he slept in a nasty bed. The sheets had blood and hair all over them. I told 2 ladies at the front desk and one of them said they would tell Connie "manager" when she arrived. Connie called and said her and Kim "house keeping" would come up when she got here. They arrived. I showed them and explained the room wasn't even clean, fridge dirty, microwave had spilled food in it, bedspread with blood spots on it and I can't remember everything else. They come back with clean sheets and bedspread. Kim and another girl cleaned the room. They thought that what happened was they put my husband in here and someone didn't check to see that it was already a check out. (so the room wasn't clean) well I complained about the toilet not flushing very well. I was informed there was no maintence at all, 3 months without one. I was laying in bed this morning and 3 times I heard my door open, no knocking, just open and close. I found the house keeper and she said sorry. Well I was just got dressed and there was a knock at the door and then the door opened. There stood a housekeeper and a man! I told the housekeeper "give me time to answer the door, I could of been naked". She said this is the maintence man to fix your toilet. I'm mad. My husband has been staying weeks at a time here and before I leave today I'm going to go check all the hotels out in this area. He won't complain about things but I'm tired of him living in filth at a well known chain hotel. I will be finding something new for him. This is uncalled for. Also the steps are still dirty from two days ago. I should of took pics of the sheets but I didn't.

• Stayed: June 2012
Management response:Responded July 3, 2012

I’m sorry that you found your stay at our motel so disappointing. We pride ourselves in being a great home away from home for many extended stay guests (such as your husband) as well as those arriving just for an overnights stay. Thank you for bringing these issues to our attention so that we could fix them and compensate you with a full refund for that nights stay. The goal of Myself and my staff is not only to meet the needs of each and every guest but to exceed their expectations. It is my hope that your husband will continue to stay with us and your next visit to him will be more pleasant. Again I apologize for the inconvenience and if I can provide any assistance don’t hesitate to contact me directly at 785-625-8048

Reviewed June 25, 2012

I don't normally stay at Super 8s because I don't find them as good of value as other chains (that include a hot breakfast, better decor, etc.), but as all the hotels in Hays were filling up the weekend we were there, we ended up at the Super 8 Hays.

The check-in staff was very friendly and knowledgeable and willing to assist when our air conditioner was being very loud. Because the hotel was so filled, there were no more parking spaces available except for behind the hotel, where we ended up having to make a space. This hotel is very close to the interstate but you can't hear any road noise, and you are very close to dining options in the area (think Applebee's, Carlos O'Kelly's and IHOP).

I didn't make it down to try the breakfast, but I didn't think it was guest-friendly to have it open until just 9:00 a.m. Overall, the decor was what you'd expect but didn't feel grungy or outdated at all. It was simple, but simple is nice for a change.

Overall, I would recommend this hotel for a quick weekend overnight stay in the Hays area. Would I recommend it for a romantic weekend out or for the highest degree of luxury? No, but that's not what it was made for.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Management response:Responded July 3, 2012

Thank you for posting this review. I appreciate the compliments to my staff. They do a great job of taking care of our guests. With the Summer traffic and soaring temperatures, things have really been heating up here in Kansas. I'm sorry that your air-conditioner was noisy and that our breakfast hours didn't fit your schedule. In addition to fixing air-conditioners my staff has been known to find a bowl of cereal or a yogurt for that guest that is getting up early or the one that has slept in when asked. I hope that you have a great trip and get a chance to stay with us again.

Reviewed May 15, 2012

Stayed here during graduation weekend. Encountered very pleasant staff members (even while hotel was at capacity) and while the rooms could use updating, items were relatively clean considering their condition.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
Management response:Responded July 3, 2012

Graduation is always a fun weekend for us. Getting everyone up, fed, and out the door in time to take part in the once a year traffic jam in Hays KS, is always a challenge. Thank you for posting this review.