“This place hit the spot”

Pheasant Run Pancake House
Ranked #8 of 92 Restaurants in Hays
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed June 13, 2014 via mobile

Just passing through. Service was fast and friendly. Simple down home cooking hit the spot. Seemed like a local favorite with lots of customers.

Reviewed June 5, 2014

A great place to eat breakfast before the drive home across Kansas. They open at 6:00 a.m. and the food is great. The folks who run the place are friendly and very nice. It started my day off great. A high point for me was the bottomless coffee pot, at 6:00 in the morning I run around in a fog.

Reviewed May 26, 2014

Had Lowlander, egg, hash brown, sausage and pancakes. Know the owners and they're good people. Will be back.

Reviewed January 19, 2014

Our group of four had breakfast at about noon on a Sunday. Most of the tables were full, but we were waited on within a few minutes. We all had either an omelets or pancakes, and everyone thought that they had a good breakfast. The price was reasonable.

Reviewed September 26, 2013 via mobile

This is basic breakfast fare. If you prefer patronizing local businesses as I do, it's a good alternative to the local IHOP. Just don't expect some hidden gem that the Food Network would want to film.

I had the 2-egg breakfast with hash browns (needed salt), decent bacon and OK blueberry pancakes. Not bad. Not great. For what you get and considering this is Hays, Kansas, at 10 bucks and change it was a bit pricey. The same meal at my usual diner (much larger and nicer inside) in my much, much larger home town would be about $7.

I wish the coffee had been better. That's one thing a local joint can do really well and beat the corporate formulas of the chains.