“Tasty Chicken”

J D's Country Style Chicken
Ranked #13 of 100 Restaurants in Hays
Cuisines: American
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

JDs Chicken is a non-pretentious diner serving tasty food in a clean atmosphere. It is well worth the short drive off I-70 for local eats.

Date of visit: September 2019
Write a reviewReviews (50)

Reviewed February 13, 2019

My husband enjoyed the chicken livers with white gravy. I had chicken fried steak- very good quality. Great value and large portions. My only negative is the green beans that were canned. If you have worked in food service they were from a #10 can. Since we do not eat canned vegetables at home, this is very noticeable. Staff was polite. Refills and service are quick. We were, all and all, satisfied.

Date of visit: December 2018
Reviewed November 5, 2018

Visited for lunch on Oct 31, 2018. I had the open face hot roast beef sandwich with mashed potatoes smothered with brown gravey. It was outstanding in taste and huge in size. The meat was quite tender. The price was very reasonable. Next time I am in Hays I will eat there. Some how (magic I guess) this particular meal had no fat or calories. Thanks!!

Date of visit: October 2018
Reviewed September 30, 2018 via mobile

Based on the reviews, we were excited about trying this place! It was below average food! I tried the chicken and noodles that were raved about in the other reviews. I’m not sure if these other people haven’t had at least “good” chicken and noodles and have nothing else to compare to, but these were the worst chicken and noodles that I have had! They weren’t cooked thoroughly and were chewy. There were large clumps of them stuck together and hard. They lacked flavor, the chicken was obviously from a can and the mashed potatoes were INSTANT and very thick! My husband had the hot roast beef sandwich. It had decent flavor and the meat was tender, but it was on the cold side and again, the mashed potatoes were INSTANT! The chicken strips seemed to be the best meal that any of us had, but they were on the fast food quality, at best, but carried a $10 charge for them.
For a place to be ranked with 4 1/2 stars, I’m a little concerned about the true quality of food that the people in this town are consuming!

Date of visit: September 2018
Reviewed August 27, 2018

This is reminiscent of restaurants in the 60s: laminate tables & booths, casual atmosphere. Their Chicken Fried Steak is the best ever! It is served with a sald, a fresh roll, mashed potatoes and gravy & green beans - all for under $13.00! Their help is friendly, and the place is clean. I have never tried any other items on their menu (yes, the chicken fried steak is THAT GOOD) except for excellent seasoned potatoe wedges, You're in for a treat!

Date of visit: July 2018

Been to J D's Country Style Chicken? Share your experiences!