“great place” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #8 of 13 Hotels in Hays
Austin, Texas
“great place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2014

I was here for 3 months and was very satisfied. The place is kept very clean, and the staff is very competent, nice, and attentive to all requests. There is a hot breakfast 7 days/week with good coffee. Free USA Today to all guests. Quiet, restful place for short-term or long-term stay. Entrance to all rooms is from inside the hotel. Free wireless. No complaints.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Kathleen K, General Manager at Sleep Inn & Suites Hays, responded to this review, February 2, 2014
With a 3 month stay we are happy to hear you rated us top. That you found the staff to be competent. The hotel clean. The breakfast always hot. When your in the area again, we hope to see you at the Sleep Inn in Hays, Ks. For we want you to feel at home with us. Safe travels to you.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Gladstone, Missouri
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2013 via mobile

We wanted to try a few different hotels and we stayed at the Best Western right next door. Out of the two there was a 7 dollar difference and I would pick Best Western in a heart beat. A lot newer and roomy and classier. I understand the Sleep Inn is under construction but the room was no where close to the one in Best Western. Breakfast was decent but a small variety. The one thing I will say is the room was clean.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Yes we were putting new tile in the lobby & breakfast area. Sorry you didn't feel you had much variety for breakfast as we have fresh hot waffles, biscuits & gravy, sausage links, scrambled eggs, Bagels, muffins, Danishes, Toast, oatmeal, two types of cereal, yogurt. Three types of juice, coffee & hot chocolate. What else would you like to see on our breakfast line we are here to accommodate our guest. As you stated you found your room very clean. We are proud to say you will always find the rooms nice & clean here at the Sleep Inn. We do appreciate all comments good & bad as this is how we improve for you.
Denver, Colorado
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2013

We stayed here on our way back from thanksgiving with the family. I booked through a credit card points reward system so I probably payed "more" than most. I travel quite a bit so I have a few basic expectations of hotels.

Pros: HUGE shower. Made bathing the kids much easier without getting wet (no tub in this room). Beds are adequately comfortable (I would rate them medium firmness). Newer high def TV with pretty good channel selection.

Cons: Where to start? Night person at the check in desk was rather indifferent to me. Not rude, but not exactly "warm and fuzzy". I had to ask where the elevator was and how to get to my room. Not very helpful. If there were other things offered to guests, I was unaware because the night person was not exactly forthcoming with info. The room: Floor had stains right inside the door. Bathroom had mold in the caulking around the shower. My Socks showed dirt after walking around on the floor for the night. The Heat/AC is the old window style without a real thermostat, so we were up several times in the night adjusting it. The furniture in the room looked a bit dated. The overall poor cleanliness of the room led us to check for bed bugs (we didn't find any).

Conclusion: In general I was really disappointed with this hotel. The reviews I read online seemed to suggest something much nicer than what we encountered. I think most of my issues were related to expectations. Honestly, if this were a Super8 or Motel6 I would not be writing this review because you get what you pay for. However at 90-ish in the middle of KS, I expected better.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank bc8837
Kathleen K, General Manager at Sleep Inn & Suites Hays, responded to this review, December 3, 2013
I would like to say I am sorry we didn't meet your expectations. I will take care of your issues. We are in the middle of doing updates to the hotel. I am sorry the room you was in is not one of the rooms we have gotten to yet. But yes all rooms are being caulked and carpets shampooed. The desk staff is new and I will be sure they get more training. I do appreciate your comments both good and bad. That is how we improve to make your stay great. Glad your bed met your needs. You enjoyed the huge walk in shower along with our new TV. More improvements to come. I do hope when you travel thru you will give us another chance to make things right.
Morgantown, West Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2013

Stayed one night on a weekend visit to see a relative in Hays USA. The room was spotless and quiet. The staff was helpful and cheerful, with a special shout-out to the lady who worked in the brekfast room: she was incredible, assisting everyone in the room to make their breakfast time enjoyable.
No complaints here.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Kathleen K, General Manager at Sleep Inn & Suites Hays, responded to this review, November 27, 2013
Sleep Inn in Hays,Ks. The staff really enjoys their job. Which really shows from your great comments! The front desk love talking to the guest, the house keeping staff try their hardest to give you that clean room. As for breakfast Lorelei she enjoys seeing everyone of you in her breakfast room. She wants to start your day off special. So you will have a great day the rest of your trip. Hope to see you soon. The staff here wish you safe travels!
olathe
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2013

My wife and I stayed there for a quick stay over the weekend. The front desk staff was polite, and efficient, and the room was clean and a nice size. The pillows were plentiful but tiny. Bed was adequate. The water pressure in the shower was GREAT!.

Breakfast was good as well Sausage was better than most "give it to me free" breakfasts.

Would stay again.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Kathleen K, General Manager at Sleep Inn & Suites Hays, responded to this review, November 21, 2013
I'm very happy to hear you had a good little visit here at the Sleep Inn in Hays, Ks. Our desk staff want to make you feel welcome. The housekeepers take pride in giving you a nice clean room. For your comfort is very important to the staff here. I must agree the sausage is good! We hope to see you and your wife again soon.
Broken Arrow, Oklahoma
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2013

We were just there to sleep because only travelling through on the interstate, so didn't take advantage of all their facilities, but our room was very nice and clean. The furnishings looked like they had been updated recently. Breakfast was good, and the breakfast room staff was friendly. The front desk staff were friendly and helpful.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Kathleen K, General Manager at Sleep Inn & Suites Hays, responded to this review, November 12, 2013
We here at the Sleep Inn at Hays, Ks. Want to say Thank you. We are happy to hear you had a good stay. You enjoyed your room. Yes we have been doing some updating and more to come. Our staff tries very hard to make our guest feel at home. See you soon.
fort collins
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2013

We recently spent two nights in this hotel and found it to be clean, extremely quiet, comfortable and very convenient to everything in Hays and surrounding areas. The staff was very friendly and helpful and the free breakfast was beyond expectations with scrambled eggs, sausage, biscuits and gravy and waffles etc. The lady who managed the breakfast bar even served us personally and checked with each table of visitors to ensure that they were happy with their breakfast. The cost was a great value considering the quality of this hotel! Should we have the opportunity to visit this area in the future, this hotel will be our first choice!!!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you Sue! We are glad you enjoyed your two nights with us here at the Sleep Inn in Hays, Ks. Our staff from front desk to housekeeping to breakfast want you to feel at home when you stay with us. Glad you enjoyed our new expanded breakfast line. Next time bring your suites and enjoy our pool.