“Great home cooked chicken” 5 of 5 bubbles

Al's Chickenette
Ranked #3 of 89 Restaurants in Hays
Cuisines: American
Good for: Dining on a budget, Families with children, Kids
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Norwood, NJ
“Great home cooked chicken”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2012

We went there for a chicken dinner after reading some positive reviews on Trip Advisor. We were not disappointed. The chicken was fresh, not frozen and was very tasty and moist. We needed to wait about 20 minutes for the meal, but it was well worth the wait. We chose salads as one of our sides, so we were able to munch on that before the main meal came. The dinner was reasonably priced and the service was great. I recommend Al's Chickenette without hesitation.

Visited October 2012

Gillette, Wyoming, United States
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great Service”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2012

Ok, where can I begin we called to see if they were able to sit a large group. ( 15 People)We were told not a problem. We have conference room that we could setup. (Conference room my a@$) and after getting seated in the sardine can of a room . We walked in to Al's Chickenette with nobody Else around. The waiteress's took all of are orders for drinks and food 36 minutes passed before we saw anything from the staff. Then we recieved half of are drinks ( Only water, ice tea and one coke was ordered) which didn't make us to upset then came are second half of drinks which was i guess rust colored water and tan cement instant tea. lovely so we asked for CLEAR water for everyone that ordered Coke and Tea. 25 Minutes Later we received are new drinks. One Hour Fourty Eight Minutes Later we Received again half are order. It look good but I don't know because the other half of are group waited for another hour before just walking out.

• Visited August 2012
1 Thank Matthew C
Cleveland, Ohio
“If you're on I-70, you owe it to yourself to stop here”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2012

I have seldom been to a restaurant that has been in business longer than I have lived. Al's is one of them. And one can understand why it's endured for sixty-plus years when one bites into the luscious fare that graces every plate. I suspect that this is what KFC and other "industrial" food establishments aspire to, but never come close to reaching. DEFINITELY get the chicken. It's the speci-ALITY. And it won't disappoint. The plate is full and the crust is crisp and tasty. The atmosphere, too, is like walking back in time: to the 50s, or 40s. I wouldn't change a thing. And I WILL go back.

• Visited September 2012
Lee's Summit, Missouri
“Great Chicken!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2012

My sister and I went on a road trip to Santa Fe and stayed in Hays KS. I had 2 chicken breasts,
mashed potatoes with gravy, and corn. OMG! The chicken had a light golden crust and so tender and oh sooooo good! We made it a point to stop there again on the way back. I had the same thing and again my dinner was perfect! Funny, I've been craving it since I've arrived home.
My husband is taking a trip in Sept. and he's also going to stop. Think I'll pack him a cooler so he can bring some home to me, LOL. The folks are very nice, seems like everyone knew eachother, and the pictures on the wall are great. Oh, and a great old fashioned juke box belts out some the old tunes. You'll enjoy it as much as we did.

• Visited June 2012
Lawrence, Kansas
“It's still worth a trip...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2012

I had a 2 piece chicken dinner recently and it was very good. My husband had a hot roast beef sandwich and also reported that it was very good. The menu leans towards comfort food. There's plenty on the menu that looked tempting.

I'd be giving a higher rating if the mashed potatoes weren't out of a box and if butter were served with the dinner roll instead of margarine.

That being said, I'm looking forward to my next visit.

• Visited June 2012
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Been to Al's Chickenette? Share your experiences!