“Nice rooms, Good location, Horrible service”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Hays
Ranked #3 of 13 Hotels in Hays
Portland, Maine
“Nice rooms, Good location, Horrible service”
Reviewed September 20, 2013

First, let me say that I am an owner of a travel agency on the east coast, and have stayed at many properties in my life. I am actually traveling across the country for pleasure and am trying to stop at different chains of hotels to recommend to my clients. I chose this particular property because of its location to I-70 (perfect location). There is really not much to choose from in Hays. I came here from Kansas city the night before (stayed at the Drury inn, if you get a chance to stay in one they are great hotels) after getting halfway I noticed that my wallet was missing, after looking for it for quite some time with no avail I pulled up to the Holiday Inn Express Hays, Ks. I went to check in and they refused to check me in without a credit card for incidentals, I explained to them (two young ladies, one of which seemed to be in training) my situation and they were unwilling to work with me. I offered to give them cash to hold for incidentals, and they told me to go over to Wal-Mart and buy a prepaid card and put the $25.00 on it and they would use that one. I explained to them why would I do that and pay extra to Wal-Mart to get the card. Anyway, I asked for the general manager’s business card, which was promptly provided to me, and I left the building to try and call her to see if there was anything she could do for me. I tried to call the general manager and got the front desk I was then advised that the General manager was not in and would not be back to until the morning (this was the same front desk person who I was dealing with before) I was offered to be transferred to her voicemail, I said that is not going to help me for my stay tonight, she told me "oh, well there is nothing else that she could do." Okay, so I called the consolidator who I booked the room with because the front desk clerk told me she would not be able to issue a refund to me and I would have to go through the people I booked it with. I was speaking to the consolidator and they told me there was nothing that they could do, but they would be more than happy to call the hotel and see if they would let him refund my wife's credit card. He called and was told to have me go to Wal-Mart to get a prepaid card because there was no manager on duty to allow them to obtain a refund so, I was stuck. I ended up having to have my wife transfer money to my father’s account so we could use his bank card to put a deposit on. When I arrived back to the hotel to give them a card for the room I (as well as my father) was still treated with disrespect. The trainee was actually nice about the whole thing, but the girl who was training her was still rude. When I was first waiting in line to check in she had offered the woman in front of me a discount card for dinner at a local eatery I never was offered the same (not a big deal, but respect would have been nice). I went into the room and it was as expected, a decent place to rest my head after a long hard day. The internet is a little slow, but can be tolerated. Needless to say because of my experience at this Holiday Inn I will be writing a letter to corporate, and will not recommend this chain to ANY of my clients. Respect is important to me and I was the customer. You are supposed to go out of your way for customers / clients I know for a fact there is a way around not having to take a credit card for incidentals. What happens to cash paying customers? Do you not let them have a room? When I was told there were no exceptions that just showed me how far holiday inn employees will go for their customers. I guess in Hays, Kansas we don't matter too much!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Travelbizzman
Express4650, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Hays, responded to this review, September 24, 2013
Thank-you for your comments. Please feel free to call me at the property and I would be glad to address your concerns.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed September 17, 2013

We always stay at this hotel when we visit our daughter who attends Fort Hays State University. The staff has always been warm and welcoming-quick check in. The rooms are spacious, clean and nicely decorated. Breakfast has consistently been excellent. I have also used the gym and the pool/hot tub and have had them to myself.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Yorba Linda, California
Reviewed September 1, 2013

I have stayed here more than once and always love it. The staff is always so welcoming. The pool is amazing. And the beds are so comfortable. Probably the only thing about Hays Kansas that I like. This is normally my stopping point when travelling to see family.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Holly L
Fort Worth, Texas
Reviewed August 28, 2013

I stayed here on a trip from Montana to Texas. I had stayed at this Hotel also on my Trip from Texas to Montana for 90 Days of work up there. I called when I was on the road to make a reservation. The Front desk staff is always super nice. After a 14 hour drive I checked into the hotel. At Check in I signed up for the loyalty club and received a bottle of water as a gift. Bottle water is a necessity when you are traveling long distance. The rooms are large for standard hotel rooms. They are also very clean. They have Bath and Body Works lotion and Shampoo in the bath room and that’s my favorite. The attention to detail at the chain is amazing the bed has firm and soft pillows! I slept like a baby and could have stayed all day but I had to finish the rest of my 22 hr drive. I stopped in the breakfast room and they had lots of sit down options. I would have liked to see more grab and go items like breakfast bars. So I settled with a cup of coffee and headed out. They slide the bill under the door so you don’t even have to stop and the front desk on your way out. This will be my cross country home as I continue to commute between these two states.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Missouri
Reviewed August 25, 2013

We stayed at this hotel twice within a week, on our way to and from Estes Park, CO. Absolutely excellent. I was very impressed. Holiday Inn has certainly revamped their brand from what it was years ago. Very conveniently located in Hays, and nearby were IHOP, Home Depot, Wendy's, etc. A decent assortment of places to eat. The lobby was clean and modern, with nice little homey touches, like pinecones in a bowl, vases, fireplace, seating area. The carpeting along the hallways and in the elevator are usually disgustingly filthy in hotels, but this hotel's carpeting was either brand new or cleaned and kept up. Very nice. I always inspect this sort of thing on my way to the room. Our room itself was absolutely spotlessly clean. The bathroom was bright, large, and clean. I would suggest another bar along the long wall above the tub because the tub itself was very slippery when wet, and the only handlebar was behind me on the nozzle wall. Inconvenient and a little scary for balance-challenged seniors when facing away from the shower spray. That said, the bathroom was top-notch. Beds were quite comfortable, though a tad firmer than I prefer, but that's okay. It's just a personal preference. I did like the four pillows of varying firmness on each of the two queen beds in the room. The flat screen tv was wonderful, and the microwave and fridge right there in the room made it nice for leftovers after eating dinner out that evening. Blackout curtains made the room nice and dark for sleeping, and the air conditioning unit in the room was the most responsive and accurate I've ever seen. And it's quiet, too, which is very, very appreciated. Wi-fi was available and simple to connect to. An ironing board and iron were there in the room, too. Nice touch. The breakfast bar left a little to be desired, but then, it was your usual run of the mill biscuits and gravy, a pancake maker (which was kind of cool....you press a button for the number of pancakes and out they come from a chute! I must be old because I found this fascinating). Anyway, scrambled eggs, cinammon rolls, cereals, juice, milk, coffee....standard fare. The staff was moderately friendly, at least the lady who checked us in was. I happened to be checking in two hours early. I came in the front door, gave her my name and said I was checking in. The very first thing she said to me was, "If your room is clean, you can." Pretty crappy first impression. We used the fitness room, too, and that was great as well. Clean and nice with ellipticals, treadmills, exercise ball, towels, flat screen t.v. Very nice. Bottom line--though a little pricey at $124 per night, this is our go-to stop in Hays, KS, from now on. And we will definitely try this brand of hotel when traveling elsewhere.

Room Tip: We stayed on an upper floor the first stay, and the bottom floor the second stay. Both were extreme...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 24, 2013 via mobile

The Holiday Inn Express I stayed was real nice and was cozy. The staff was wonderful there (I usually don't expect much from staff in small towns) and they were pretty smart and knowledgable.

The breakfast was good and as expected consistent across the board. I would rrecommend the hotel to any traveler across kansas on I-70

• Stayed August 2013
Tennessee
Reviewed August 14, 2013

Stayed here overnight on my way to Colorado Springs. Nice hotel. Convenient location. Right next door to a Wal-Mart and several places to eat. Hotel staff was nice and answered all questions about several places I wanted to visit. They also gave us a nice recommendation for dinner that night, along with a discount coupon. I will definitely stay here again if I am in the area.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Express4650, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Hays, responded to this review, August 16, 2013
I am happy you enjoyed your stay with us. So glad my staff was able to answer all your questions about the area attractions and helped with the directions you needed to get there. Thanks for staying.