“Best birding in Kansas”
Review of Cheyenne Bottoms

Cheyenne Bottoms
Ranked #1 of 16 things to do in Great Bend
Reviewed February 18, 2012

Great birding, the central flyway migration stopping point. Spring and Fall thousands of birds many rare to Kansas stop on their annual migration. The Education center is great and can tell you where the best sightings have been in recent days.

2  Thank wandersfar
in 20 reviews
in 16 reviews
in 5 reviews

Reviewed May 25, 2011

I recently went to view the Cheyenne Bottoms. I am a born and raised Kansas native and had never seen or heard of the Cheyenne bottoms until researching my own state. I spent so much time exploring other parts of the U.S. that I didn’t take time to explore sights, landmarks, and destinations within my own state of KS!

I rode my motorcycle out to this place all by myself. It was a great ride as I had never been to this part of KS before. I first stopped at the Kansas Wetlands Education center which is just across the highway from the entrance to the bottoms. I spent some time there viewing some of the info they had on display. I also picked up a map of the bottoms in order to navigate through it. It’s 41,000 acres of wetlands and marsh so it’s a lot of ground to cover. I was on my motorcycle which happens to be a sportbike so you can picture me on a sportbike riding down the gravel road that leads all over the bottoms.

I caught some great pictures of cranes flocking in packs just hanging out on the water. I also caught them as they were flying up and out of the bottoms. It was a great experience and view. I didn’t quite make it all the way around the whole entire Cheyenne Bottoms because for one I was on a sportbike. Sportbikes aren’t really made for gravel roads. HA! And two It was about 6pm and pretty soon the sun would start going down and night would come. And if you’re an avid motorcycle rider like myself then you know about the dangers of riding at night.

I covered as much of the wetlands as I could in the short amount of 2 hours. There is definitely a lot of ground to cover and the view was just spectacular! Especially while on a motorcycle! It was a beautiful, sunny Saturday. I’m definitely coming back to this place again sometime in the future. And hopefully with a better form of transportation like a truck or SUV of some sort rather than a sportbike.

2  Thank BobbyPhengvongsa