“Updated but still needs work”

New Sunflower Inn & Suites
Ranked #16 of 16 Hotels in Garden City
Overland Park, Kansas
“Updated but still needs work”
Reviewed January 6, 2013

After giving up on the Garden City Inn because the noise level was so unacceptable, I came to the Sunflower Inn & Suites. When I called them to see if they had a room, I specified that I was coming from a hotel situation that was unacceptable and did they have a quiet, private room for me? He said Yes. So, I came here, went in to check in and again, specified needing a quiet, private room. Not a problem.
He gives me a room in the building right behind the lobby. Even if they hadn't just had a big snow, there wouldn't have been a place for me to park. I had to park across the street.
The room itself was nice enough (Room 110). Nicely renovated, attractive, comfortable. Amenities included a frig, microwave, coffeemaker.
Wifi wasn't working, I had to call to the desk twice and then finally (after they reset the router) I was able to get online.
Issues started up about then. Issue #1: The wall-unit heater. With it turned off, the room got quite chilly. With it turned on, it was uncomfortably hot where i was lounging on the bed. The heater didn't seem to cycle on and off as it should. So, my options were: Cold & uncomfortable or hot & uncomfortable.
Problem 2: Since it's a non-smoking hotel, the lady in the next room whose car was parked in front of my room kept going out to sit and smoke in her car....letting her car run the whole time. Being in a hotel with someone's car running right in front of your window is not pleasant. And, a person who has to honk their car horn each time they lock their car prior to and after smoking...also is not pleasant.
Problem 3: The room I had included conjoining doors to the next room. Without even trying, I was able to see through the gap between the door/doorframe INTO the next room. I could see the bed, and the light from that room was coming into my room. I could hear the lady coughing, talking, rattling paper, and burping. I assumed...if I were to do any of these things, she could hear me too.
This was not acceptable. Being able to see through the gap in the door into an adjoining room...not acceptable.
At one point, the lady left. <honk> So, I opened the conjoining door thinking I would hang my bedspread over the door and then shut it...hopefully creating a visual and sound barrier between the two doors. When I opened my door, I was astounded. The door on the other side had no deadbolt, and no doorknob. I could have walked right into someone else's hotel room. Astounding.
I called the front desk at this point and told them that I would not be staying for 3 days after all, that I would check out in the morning.
They most assuredly did not want me to check out. They said they'd put me in a quiet room.
Why didn't they put me in a quiet room to begin with??? I specifically asked for a quiet room!
So, for the second time in one day, I'm moving again.
This time, they put me in the unit on the south side of Fulton Street and they gave me a suite at the same price as the regular room. Room #166. I have been comfortable and happy in this suite.
Few other people are in this wing of the hotel and it's been completely quiet. Only two issues with this unit. First is the wall-unit heater. Same issue as in the other room. It does not cycle on and off. I have to get up and go to it...crank the heat up to 74 for it to pop on...then turn it back down so it doesn't roast me. I woke at 5am today because the room was so cold. The heater was set on 69 but would not pop on. Since this is basically a double-sized room, it needs two wall-unit heaters (or a different furnace altogether). The bathroom area stays very chilly. The toilet is like ice to sit on. Not fun.
The other issue is the water. It's pretty brown & rusty. Hot water takes a good five minutes to reach this room. Turn it on and go do something else for awhile and when you come back, it will finally be hot. There is no tub plug so I had to use a washcloth to plug the drain for a bath. The washcloth is now fairly ruined from rust stains. My bad.
Otherwise, the suite is a comfortable room with a king bed, recliner, sofa, kitchenette/wet bar, frig, microwave, coffee maker desk and office chair. Lots of room, wifi has been working most of the time but it does glitch at times. I have to walk across the street to the lobby for their breakfast offerings. The parking lot was not really plowed and is treacherous with snow & ice. I've been fortunate to not fall.
Breakfast offerings...very slim. Coffee, dry cereal, toast, a couple of different pastries, and 2 lonely bananas.
They let me have this suite for $60 (the same as the price as the original motel room). I felt that was the least they could do for causing me such inconvenience.
Will I stay here again? Only in a suite...never in one of their motel rooms. I'm not shy but I don't need people in a neighboring room to be able to look into my room. I can't imagine why this defect has not been corrected. I can't imagine renting out a room with such a defect.

Room Tip: Get a suite in the wing on the south side of Fulton (across the street from the lobby)
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Julie D

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Colorado
Reviewed November 19, 2012

Front desk was nice and helpful. It was confusing to find our room but the front desk person showed us where it was located. Even though this property is an older property the room looked nice and clean, it also included a fridge and microwave. The staff could take care a little better of their outside, the stairs leading to our room were stained and dirty through the weekend we were there. Price was reasonable, but I expected more for the price.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Pueblo CO
Reviewed September 3, 2010

We checked into this hotel and were actually frightened. At 2:00 in the morning, bone weary, my young children and I were placed across the street from the main building in a dark, shady-looking strip of rooms. To make matters worse, we found a monster pick-up truck and 2 trash bags full of empty beer cans outside of our next door neighbor's door. Not looking good, and my kids were uneasy.

Then we went into the room.... At first glance, it was OK. The furnishing were nice enough, and the bed was made up nicely. But then we started turning on the lights. And we found bugs everywhere. I don't know what they were - long red insects with a gazillion legs, but not as fat as any centipede I'm familiar with. There was a live one in the bathtub and bunches of dead ones all over the carpet in the bedroom. Cobwebs with dead flies dangled around the bathroom. My daughter screamed and said there was no way she could sleep there. I was so tired, but I had to agree.

I went back to the front desk and said I wanted to cancel my reservation. To my surprise, the desk clerk didn't argue. But she couldn't seem to provide me with a cancellation receipt either. She said she had deleted our reservation from the computer system, so there was nothing to get a receipt for. I felt uneasy about this, but I was too exhausted to haggle.

Three days later, my credit card was charged for a 3 night stay. My original reservation was for 1 night. Three days after that, they charged me for another 5 nights! I'm just appalled and can reach no one at the hotel by phone. I will dispute the charge through my credit card, of course, but this whole thing is just very disappointing for a Choice hotel.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank AdventureMom25

Travelers are raving about these Garden City hotels

kansas city, mo
Reviewed June 21, 2010

Stayed at the Rodeway Inn for 2 nights while visiting family. Price was very reasonable. Room was large & bathroom was big. Rooms included fridge & microwave. Staff was friendly & helpful. It is an older hotel, but has a nice outdoor pool, and exercise room with nice equipment. Continental breakfast was limited, but very good. It also has free internet access. It is close to everything and just minutes from the zoo in Garden City. We enjoyed our stay and will stay again next time we are in town. If you are looking for a reasonable rate with everything you need, I would recommend it.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
United States
Reviewed August 10, 2009

I spent two comfortable nights in the Rodeway Wheat Lands. The property is a little older and maybe nothing special, but it was clean and comfortable and everything worked. One caveat: they DO have high speed Internet, but it isn't wireless so bring a network cable.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
Kansas
Reviewed February 2, 2009

Older motel yet quite clean. Walls are indeed thin. Comp breakfast was fair. Compared to other costly choices in this town it was a good choice and I will return.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
Denver
Reviewed March 9, 2008

I was in town for a dog show. The room seemed to be clean and it was close to the fairgrounds. Other than that, it had problems.

The walls were extraordinarily thin, and concrete. I had a headboard banger with a screamer in one room and a group of people in another room who not only talked so loudly I could tell you details of their conversation, but they also left their tv on all night. This was after I arrived late (2 am) after a very long drive, and having a very early ring time. The second night wasn't bad and was relatively quiet.

My plumbing didn't drip, in fact, the shower head looked rather new. There was a step just outside the room that I hadn't noticed at the aforementioned 2 in the morning. The first morning to let the dog out I took quite a tumble and have screwed my knees up.

They say they have high speed internet, which is true, however, it is on the opposite side of the room from the desk so it was not very useful.

I asked for a 6:30 wakeup call and thankfully I set some backups because my phone rang at 7:30. They hadn't accounted for daylight savings.

The staff was friendly and as I said the room was clean and very close the fairgrounds, though in a very questionable neighborhood. It was also cheap, but next time, I may spend a few extra dollars and stay at the other Best Western.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Thin walls & lack of convenience on the internet use in the room.
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)