“Flimsy Curtains” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #10 of 15 Hotels in Garden City
Pueblo, Colorado
“Flimsy Curtains”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2013

Although the room was large and the bed comfortable, the curtains were flimsy and couldn't be closed plus, thin allowing outside lights to shine through. I can understand why "Mixed Bag" (review) complained about the noise. If other guests allow their door to slam shut it's not only loud but also shakes the walls. Be careful of what you say in your room because the adjourning room can hear most of what you say. Breakfast was suppose to be at 6 a.m. At 6:10 there were no lights, no coffee, and, no one in sight. at 6:20 a.m. lights were on, coffee being made, rolls set out, cereal and milk but never did see anyone. Not even at the desk for check out. I am not really sure how to rate this motel. I thought it was expensive for what you got but perhaps it's the going rate for Garden City. If so, I am not sure I'd stay here again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Augusta, Georgia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2013

stayed in this motel a couple of nights in Nov and really liked the room and staff. We asked for a handicapped room in order to have a walk in shower and it was located near the lobby, ice machine, computer, and w/d, so well pleased. Had to come back into town this past weekend, booked the same room a week and a half ago for 2 nights. Came to check in was told the rooms were being remodeled we would be put upstairs for the same price. I asked for a discount since their error, and was said they would be unable to do that. We left went to a motel down the street for almost $20 a night cheaper and was very content.

Room Tip: it is a lobby entry motel so try to get a room near the front, back, or side doors for easy access t...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Overland Park, Kansas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2013

I used to stay here all the time and got fed up because it's so hard to get any sleep. The place where I usually stay is full this week, so I'm back here at the Garden City Inn. This is night #2 of a 5-night stay...but I'm going to bail out and go stay somewhere else first thing in the morning. I will tell you why.

This hotel has interior halls. Sounds reverberate. If you stay on the bottom floor, the people above you will sound like they all have four feet each...and they seem to dance the mamba half the night. You'll think the ceiling is coming down. Unless you sleep like a log, you will not be able to sleep if someone is in the room above you.
Since I decided to give this place another try after a two-year absence, I requested a room on the second floor so I wouldn't be disturbed by footsteps. Au contraire. The people next door sounded like they were having football practice. I'm not sure if this place just has no insulation or if they just attract awful hotel guests...but my gosh, it's awful. Bang bang bang, pound, pound, pound. And, the slamming doors...hours and hours of slamming doors.
This morning, someone checked in to the room on the other side of me at 7am....and for a half hour, they were coming and going and slamming the door each time. Glad I was already awake.
I am cognizant of other guests and I close my hotel door quietly, regardless of the time of day. It's after midnight right now, and all up and down the interior hall, doors keep slamming. And slamming. I wish other people would be sensitive to the other hotel guests.

So, the upper floor in this hotel has its issues, too, and being up here has not made the Garden City Inn any better for getting a good night's sleep.

Also, there is no smoke alarm in this room (Room 206). The wires are hanging from the celing. The bathroom light is burned out. The ironing board is so wobbly, it almost fell over as I was trying to iron.
If not for the unacceptable noise level in this hotel, it would otherwise be fine. The room is decently sized; they provide a coffee maker, a frig, a microwave, a hair dryer, an iron and ironing board (albeit, rickety); plus, shampoo, lotion, toothbrush, shower caps and makeup remover pads. The bed is comfy enough and the tv remote works. There is an easy chair and a desk with chair, as well as a table with two chairs.
Their breakfast is on the lean side....fruit, dry cereal, bread (for toast) and muffins. Not much to offer for someone who would like to eat healthy.
If people continue to check in throughout the night, I doubt I will get much sleep. If noise is not an issue for you, you will probably not have any problems. I am quite sensitive to noise which is why I stopped staying here. I'd forgotten just how bad the noise here is.

Room Tip: The noise from 5 Points (the intersection where this hotel sits) can be kind of loud. I requested a...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Julie D
Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2012

The rooms were clean, had comfortable beds, and I liked how it had a recliner. The room had both a microwave and a fridge, which is great because some hotels do not have both. The clerk at the front desk was nice and friendly. The price was great except for their high tax rate. The only thing wrong was the pool which looked like maybe they were taking out all the water because it was almost empty? Great location because you are close to almost everything.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Lone Oak, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2012

We're always trying to find a good place to stay on our way to climb in the Rockies and this was a nice halfway spot. The bed was very comfortable, great amenities in the room, and the location is nice. The management is friendly and helpful, too. Very clean, and quiet. The only objection that I have is not the hotel's fault: the smell of the cattle yards is dominant at times!

Room Tip: Upstairs is probably quieter.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Zylon R
Kansas City
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2012

We moved our daughter to Garden City, and stayed at this hotel. It was clean, had a nice indoor pool and spa. Lots of parking. We felt safe as the exterior doors are all locked at night. Continental breakfast was fine--drinks, donuts, cereal, fruit and toast. The rooms had microwave, small fridge and coffee maker. All in all, this hotel was fine for sleeping overnight. It is a bit older than the chain hotels on the east side of town, but it suited our purpose. The price was very good, and they even discounted for AARP after we arrived. Garden City is not very big, so even if you have plans for another part of the city, it will only take you 10-15 minutes to drive all the way across town. The chain hotels were 40-50.00 more per night. There is a McDonalds across the street, and various small restaurants within 2-3 blocks. A/C was cold and not too noisey.

Room Tip: We stayed in the first room off the lobby, first floor, and never heard a noise all night.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank TipperKansasCity
Winfield, Kansas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2012

I cannot comment about the quality or the facilities of either of these motels because they overbooked. We traveled from the other side of Kansas having reserved and notified them that we would be checking in late. On the day of the reservation, we called about 30 minutes before our arrival to find out they had given our room to the people previously in the room the night before that extended their stay without even calling us. The owner offered to send us to their sister much lower quality motel at the same rate, 4 miles separate from our team, with no pool, and no compensation for our troubles or offer to help find or cover the difference at another hotel. We found out the next day that another family in our party received the same treatment. All in all they wanted us to stay in a lower budget room/motel for the same price separate from our party with no apology or offer to compensate us or find us another room in town. Sorry, but this is not good customer service.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family