“Not impressed.”

Avaste Hotel Suites & Events Center
Ranked #15 of 15 Hotels in Emporia
Reviewed June 16, 2013

Skipped continental breakfast first day, didn't even try second. Training from food handlers permit warned us away. Room was mediocre with some mold showing in bath corners. Room service was not complete but adequate. Pool was good. Needs upgrade, but would serve as one night crash pad for price. Cheaper/better on other side of town, but no pool. You choose.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
ksenanayake, General Manager at Avaste Hotel Suites & Events Center, responded to this reviewResponded June 18, 2014

Cybernuke,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to fill out your review. I apologize for the issues you had with breakfast, the pool, and room service. I would like you to know that we are under new management and I can assure you these issues have been corrected. We do have new staff in place, and want to educate future guests that we do not have room service anymore. I apologize once again for the issues you encountered and would like the opportunity to be able to impress you on your next visit to Emporia.

Kap

Reviewed June 10, 2013

My family and I were in Emporia for a family reunion . We had three rooms reserved . Wish we had read the reviews/ comments before making the reservations . The rooms were old , smelly and dirty . The beds , hard and lumpy and the pillows were jokes , thin as pancakes . Carpet was nasty and ancient. You did not want to be bare foot and walking on that carpet . Tiny bathroom with a old and cracked toilet seat . Leaking drainage pipes around the pool area , with puddles of slimy water . Card keys wouldn't work ( for two of the three rooms) . We stayed for two nights , our room didn't get made up on the second day , not even a trash can in the room . Cracked walls , peeling paint . Birds had built nests in the alarm bells on the outside walls. The night manager , a female , said she needed to find a new job because the place was a pit . I read on this site, that
the hotel was under new management and renovations were being made , but the dates on those comments were two years ago. They must have decided against the renovations ? The best thing about this place , was leaving it. "Spangles " restaurant next door was a treat , good burgers and Ice Cream .

This is the first time that I have written a review on a hotel , it's the condition of the place that prompted me to do so.

Avoid at all costs . Sleeping in your car is a better option . I can't fully put into words how icky the Guest House inn truly was.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed May 17, 2013

I have modest expectations when using lower-priced hotels, but this place was appalling. The place was almost empty when we arrived, and that should have been a warning. I'd made a reservation by phone the day before, but the desk clerk had no record of it, and I had not received the email confirmation that I'd requested. The room we were assigned was dirty. One of the room keys didn't work, the refrigerator didn't work, and the door wouldn't close properly. There was no drain in the tub. The outlet behind the refrigerator was dangerous-looking, and when we tried to move the refrigerator to a different outlet, we found some kind of crumbly looking stuff (roach bait? old cereal? both?) underneath it. The doors were stained, the tiles broken in the bathroom. Avoid avoid avoid.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 24, 2013

We were coming back from texas. Due to bad weather, we stayed at Guesthouse inn. I believe, it is undergoing renovation and management change. We had hot breakfast in the morning. Clean rooms and I was able to finish my work for next day's meeting. V

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed March 25, 2013

It was an okay motel to stay. Room service was not that good but staff was really helpful and nice. Overall, it's a good place to stay for the price. We had some problem with the heating first but then it was fixed.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed January 22, 2013

Stayed 2 nights , had to put towels at door to keep cold air out, was told I would have room off atrium when I made reservations , when I arrived I was told they were all taken and if I didn't like it I could stay somewhere else. But it was the host motel for my group rally so I stayed I will never stay there again. Terrible. They didn't even make my bed the 2 day and I had to ask for extra towels only 1 washcloth and one towel was in the room for 2 people.

• Stayed: January 2013
Reviewed January 21, 2013

TERRIBLE EXPERIENCE!!! We stayed with a large group booked a year in advance. Not only were they not properly prepared to accommodate our group - all of who PRE-registered - but we had people who didn't have electricity in their rooms and were told they had to wait until the maintenance person came in the next day! They didn't have electricity in their room until NOON that next day AND ALL THEY HAD TO DO WAS FLIP A BREAKER. Other people had rooms with no working heat, dangling smoke detectors, showers that weren't working properly and sinks that wouldn't drain, TV remotes that didn't work, you name it. Even the towels and washcloths were stained and dingy. No one took responsibility and to make matters worse, those of us that paid by credit card are being charged an EXTRA $25.00 over and above the agreed upon price of the rooms.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business