“Prettiest small zoo I have visited”

David Traylor Zoo of Emporia
Ranked #1 of 14 things to do in Emporia
Bowie
28 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 67 helpful votes
“Prettiest small zoo I have visited”
Reviewed September 7, 2012

We have family in Emporia and over the years have visited this zoo with our children. It was a real eye opener when we revisited last weekend after many years and found that the zoo was far better and more pleasant to visit than it ever was and it is free! The grounds are beautiful with many hanging plants, shrubs, and small garden plots all along the main part of the zoo. It has paved walkways making it easy for parents with small children especially in strollers to have an enjoyable visit. There are not huge animal exhibits but there is a diverse selection and can easily be viewed. I always loved the prairie dog exhibit, the large raptors including a bald eagle pair and an Andean condor and they were still a part of this facility. There are also water exhibits with turtles, geese, swans and other waterfowl which can be seen close up, small wildcats and in another section a few large animals, including bison and a Texas longhorn. If you are in Emporia, go!

The Emporia area is in the midst of a serious drought; when I asked one of the employees how they kept everything alive, she told me staff was coming in at 6am or staying til evening when they are allowed to do some watering. Considering that their working hours are generally from 9 to 3, the staff shows true dedication in trying circumstances. The horticulturist on staff has done a great job.

Visited August 2012

Wichita, Kansas
25 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“Best Free Zoo”
Reviewed August 23, 2012

This is a great free zoo and they keep the grounds pretty. My husband and I enjoyed the animals and the flowers. Great place to go to.

Visited August 2012
Kansas
26 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Small, but good”
Reviewed August 23, 2012

Very small, easily seen in a half hour. Lots of cages, but all are pretty good. Landscaping througout the zoo is probably its best feature. Be sure not to miss the larger animals accross the street!

Visited June 2012
Topeka, Kansas
“Beautiful”
Reviewed June 13, 2012

Love this zoo! Not a lot of animals, but it is beautiful and it's free!

Visited June 2012
Rockford, IL
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“What a nice place to visit on a pleasnt afternoon!”
Reviewed May 17, 2012

What a great enjoyable surprise pleasure! We were in town for a wedding, and were looking for something to do for a couple of hours. I was not too thrilled from the website, but we ended up there anyway, after seeing the college campus (which took 3 minutes). Seeing that it was a free zoo...I was not ready to be impressed.

Then we arrived. What a beautiful place!! Pleasant walkways...everything looks new, even though the zoo has been around for some time. There was plenty of shade for the hot day...and a pleasant breeze. My daughter loved walking around seeing the animals, and we had a very enjoyable time. Highly recommend if you are looking to kill an hour or so!

Visited May 2012