“A Nice Stay”

Ranked #5 of 15 Hotels in Emporia
Omaha, Nebraska
“A Nice Stay”
Reviewed September 5, 2013

Stayed here on business for two nights only. The room was quiet, clean and very comfortable, especially the bed. Though not as spacious as other suite hotels I've stayed in, this wasn't bad at all. The oversize desk was a nice touch. I didn't take advantage of the extended stay features, such as the stove, dishwasher, or microwave (I didn't find the free microwave popcorn in the machine until someone in our party pointed it out to me), but since we were only there for such a short time, it didn't matter. The bathroom was a good size and shower was just great - lots of hot water when I needed it.

Minor issues - no breakfast (I know this is a feature of these hotels, but I didn't realize that until we checked in), the sink in the bathroom is a bit tall, making it a bit difficult to bend over the sink when brushing my teeth, and the internet was spotty on the second night (the first night seemed fine, but on the second night I couldn't get a strong enough wireless signal to even download email).

Overall, it was a nice stay.

Room Tip: You might ask at the desk to see if they can suggest a room location with better than average wirele...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
DianeTrofholz, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Emporia, responded to this review, September 16, 2013
Thank you for the positive comments! We do hope that you will stay with us during your next trip to Emporia.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Albany, New York
Reviewed July 24, 2013

I stayed at the Candlewood Suites for 5 days mid-July during a Kansas heatwave. I was there for a tournament. The room was clean, well suited for eat-in, cook-in living. The refrigerator was super cold a real plus because I needed to bring cold drinks to the outdoor tournament. I used the laundry facilities once. Though free, the washing machines are a little worse for wear. As was mentioned by others the rooms don't get cleaned regularly. They were not cleaned at all during my 5 day stay. I exchanged towels once. The room was quiet. The AC worked great. Great bed.

The Holiday Inn Express is a sister facility. Though they charged different rates/night the cost with taxes was almost identical.

Room Tip: Upper floor away from elevator and highway
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Reviewed April 15, 2013

We had reservations and were checked in very quickly by a very friendly front desk person. When we went into the room it was a pleasant suprise to see how nice and oversized it was. The entire room was very clean and extremely quiet. I have never stayed in a hotel this quiet, it was wonderful! The bed and the pillows were quite comfortable and having a full kitchen was a plus. The staff was always extremely courteous and helpful, but I think the most pleasant surprise was the quietness of the entire hotel. I will definately stay again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank GKB_12
Marla W, Director of Sales at Candlewood Suites Emporia, responded to this review, April 17, 2013
Thank you so much for your feedback! We truly appreciate your time spent in presenting us with your insights. We constantly strive to provide comfortable, clean rooms to our guests. Our staff members want to give you, our guest, a friendly, "home-away-from-home" experience. Having a quiet atmosphere is key to a relaxing stay, and thank you for letting us know you enjoyed our peaceful environment, as well as our comfortable beds and pillows. We are happy you found the kitchen to be a plus, and our guests also appreciate our complimentary washers and dryers. We look forward to having you as our guest again at Candlewood Suites Emporia. We will do everything we can to make your future stays with us as pleasant as your recent stay!
Harker Heights, Texas
Reviewed November 27, 2012

First, I have no idea what DonSanFrancisco_CA is talking about that the rooms are cleaned once a week. That is not true at all. They clean every day IF you desire them to. Of course they clean when someone checks out and they will clean your room while you're staying there if you choose for them to. Otherwise they have little magnets to put on the door to decline cleaning services. We stayed Nov 21-24 and our room was spotless when we arrived. As far as the furnishings and appliances, well what the heck do you expect for a 2 star hotel. This ain't the Ritz! However, for a 2 star hotel it is the nicest one we've ever stayed at. I have never stayed at a Candlewood Suites before and was a little hesitant, but all that subsided when we pulled into the parking lot. The staff was extremely warm, friendly, and helpful. There was never any 'lack of service' by anyone here. They do not provide breakfast because it is an extended stay hotel with a kitchenette! People who make arrangements to stay here know this and don't expect breakfast. As they say, you get what you pay for. For all of the amenities and the price they charge it was a major bargain! The rooms are very nice and clean, the towels are not the thin kind. They have very nice towels and the bedding is also above average.....thick and fluffy. The beds are on the hard side, but some people like that. They maintain this hotel extremely well. The kitchen is stocked well with the basic necessities to cook with. They have a full size refrigerator, a full size microwave, full size dishwasher, nice size sink, the stove top has 3 burners (I think, plenty of cupboard space. There is a pretty big closet in the room.They have a little store that is on the honor system. It is small but it has quite a few choices, and they have complimentary coffee 24hrs...which was really very good coffee. They have a small sitting area in the front with a TV, a small gym, a laundry (free of charge), a conference room, FREE internet, a small computer area w/computer and a copier, and you can borrow DVDs from their movie library. It actually has a pretty good selection and even some new releases. It is located near several eating places, Walmart and other stores that are within walking distance. It was also surprisingly quiet, which is impossible to find at a hotel. I will make a point of staying at Candlewood Suites wherever we travel. This should be the model for their chain.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank tamsam07
Sarah L, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Emporia, responded to this review, December 10, 2012
Thank you for the wonderful feedback. We look forward to having you as our guest again.
San Francisco, CA
Reviewed November 18, 2012

At Candlewood Suites they clean your room ONCE A WEEK. The towels and sheets are exchanged ONCE A WEEK. You must take your dirty towels down to the front desk to exchange. However, you cannot exchange your sheets. There is no breakfast and no social area. The pillows are the lumpiest you’ll ever sleep on and the furnishings are of the lowest quality such as Haier refrigerators and Sanyo TV sets. The reason for this total lack of service is because they call themselves an extended stay hotel. My home is extended stay and I don’t have to live with dirty towels and sheets. Residence Inns are extended stay hotels too, but they have daily housekeeping and a buffet breakfast. I will never stay at another Candlewood Suites again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay and Candlewood Suites. We always strive to make your stays with us enjoyable so your feedback is critical. This is a Brand Standard of Candlewood Suites, the idea being, to respect the guest’s privacy. I will forward the concern on to our corporate office Brand Standard team. Enjoy the Holliday Season.
Oklahoma
Reviewed September 26, 2012

Coming out of Kansas City late at night after a horrible experience at Union Station we were exhausted and looking for a place to stay. Reading the reviews for Candlewood Suites at Emporia we decided to stay there. The girl was a little slow at checking us in with no reservation, but she was pleasant. The place was clean and comfortable. Coffee is free but the creamer is powdered (the reason for 4 stars). I will stay there again if I'm in the area.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
north carolina
Reviewed August 23, 2012

Business travels brought me to this hotel and it is very nice! It is just a few minutes from ESU campus and has a Wal-Mart, Starbucks, and other offerings nearby.

This hotel is a great value but it is achieved via limited amenities: Maid service is weekly and there is no pool onsite. However, you can always request fresh towels and I think pool access is offered to a nearby one.

Rooms are nice with a equipped kitchenette with dishes, full size fridge/freezer and microwave. Closet is big and bed is pretty comfy. Internet is reliable, though, on one visit I called the front desk about sluggish speed. The staff member rebooted the router and it was remedied very quickly... that was great service at 4 am in the morning!

What surprises me is that I am usually greeted by name when I check in... there is one front desk staff member who is great with names. That is such a nice touch.

Only issue I encounter is with the honor pantry. This one is well stocked and is a great convenience. But again I had a issue with billing (had a similar issue at another Candlewood). It was promptly resolved with a call (same thing at the other one). So be sure to check your bill at checkout or just pay cash as you go.

• Stayed August 2012