“Very Nice Stay”

Ranked #6 of 15 Hotels in Emporia
Iowa City, Iowa
“Very Nice Stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2013

We really enjoyed our stay at this property for many reasons. It had the quality we expect from the Holiday Inn chain, priced right, great location off the interstate and many good restaurants very close by. The front desk staff was friendly and the breakfast not too bad either. The rooms were clean, comfortable and quiet. We would stay there again if in the area or just passing through.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Wichita, Kansas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for 2 nights and after reading the previous reviews we were pleased with the customer service and how friendly they were. We stayed in a double bed room and it was roomy and clean. The bathroom is small but we didn't have a problem with the sink being separate. The closet space is little but the dresser had 4 drawers. The laundry room is a nice plus since each machine was $1. We usually stay in Hilton brand hotels but for the price this was a nice place to stay, we were deciding between here and the candlewood suites and for the price difference I'd stay here unless you need the full size fridge and kitchenette.

• Stayed July 2012
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Quality Inn & Suites, responded to this review, June 23, 2013
Dear mdttwilliams,

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review on your stay. It is great to read that you are pleased with the service received during your visit. I regret however that the size of the bathroom facility did not completely meet your liking.

Again, thank you for staying with us and we all hope to have an opportunity to serve you again!

Regards,

Pam G
Case Manager
IHGCare
Bettendorf, Iowa
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2013

I stayed at this hotel May 21 - 22. Bathroom was very odd. Door swung inward and barely cleared the toilet, and when you open the door it completely covers the sink, vanity and mirror. You have to open the door, stand between the toilet and tub, then shut the door to use the sink. What kind of an idiot designed this? On top of that hot and cold faucets were reversed, 2 days and I still couldn't get used to that one! Hair dryer didn't work, Kleenex dispenser empty, mold on the bottom of the shower curtain, shampoo and conditioner but no lotion (saving pennies there), towels frayed and could be softer. Main room was pretty clean except for a large deposit of bird poop on the outside of the window, had to keep the curtain shut, who wants to look at that? Bed was comfortable. Daytime construction next door during the day, new hotel, not this hotels fault. Breakfast was only OK, no granola (just my choice), no waffles or pancakes like almost every hotel has. WIFI was reliable and fast, that upped my review from poor to average. For what it is the price is high, should be $80 or less per night. Don't know if I would stay there again, maybe. I know I would look at others first.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Quality Inn & Suites, responded to this review, June 8, 2013
Dear Randy B,

Thank you for writing a review about your recent stay with us. We work very hard to ensure our facilities and service are superior. It sounds like we fell below your expectations. Please allow me to apologize for the inconvenience and negative impression you may have had because of of the condition and layout of the bathroom facility as well as the food selections served during your stay. We take all reviews positive and negative very seriously, and your feedback will help us improve for our next guest or your next visit.

Once again, thank you for alerting us and bringing these unsatisfactory circumstances to our attention. I hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Zelyn N
Case Manager
IHGCare
Kansas City, KS
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2013

We stayed at this hotel April 12-13. We find ourselves in Emporia frequently for sports competitions. I booked online a few months in advance and prepaid in order to get the reduced rate. When checking online a few weeks later, the price had even dropped more than what I prepaid. This was disappointing. When checking in, the receptionist was very kind with a smile. I asked for a quiet room. She gave me a room next to the construction on the back side of the hotel. Our view was of a large bulldozer. I'm not sure that was a "quiet" room I requested. There are obnoxious signs hanging around the hotel everywhere that warn everyone that the construction is not their problem. There was one at the desk when checking in, one in the elevator, one in the door to the pool. We saw all these signs within 1 minute of checking in . It scared us that the construction was noisy, and that the hotel didn't care about their guests. Take the signs down, management. They are tacky.

The room was average. 2 queen beds with refrigerator, microwave, coffeemaker, one TV. Bathroom quite small and difficult for 2 people to get ready in morning because the door swings inward.

When calling for wake up call, their official time was 15 minutes off. When receiving our wake up call, it was 15 min off also due to their incorrect official time. Not sure what that was all about.

Breakfast was average. Very kind man was recently new employee keeping everything stocked. He did well. Very clean area.

This hotel was too average for me to stay again for the price we paid. I would stay at another hotel in Emporia in the future. My family agreed.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from construction site.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank bananasue37
Kelli M, General Manager at Quality Inn & Suites, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
Thank you for your review, I have found it to be very helpful. I have taken your feedback and the wake up call system has been fixed. Along with more training for the front desk on where to place guest that request a certain area.
Kelli Mai

Travelers are raving about these Emporia hotels

kansas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2013

The hotel was right next to Pizza Ranch, which has the best broasted chicken around. The room was very comfortable, pillows and bed were good. Temperature was easily adjusted. They had some kind of sweet Danish when I checked in. A nice touch, very tasty. The wireless Internet was spotty. I think that just kind of goes with the hotel business. Breakfast was nice, very clean, good variety, good coffee. I'm not giving it a perfect score because of the Internet.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for the great review, it is always a pleasure to make a guest happy. You will be happy to know that we are in the process of having our internet upgraded. So the next time you come to visit us you should have no problem with it.
Pittsburgh
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2013

Just off I-35 in Emporia, very convenient area. Stayed here on business for 2 1/2 weeks. Rooms were clean, comfortable and well kept. Staff was friendly and helpful as I needed to extend my room twice and they were able to accomodate me. The hotel was pretty quite and was helpful since I was working at nights and needed to sleep during the day. On-site laundry,
restraunts within walking distance as is a Wal-Mart. Everty hotel in the area is overpriced and this one was as well. Don't know what the big draw is. One thing they can do better is snow removal! Had two storms with 10" each time. Hotel should make it a point to at least shovel the walkway. Overall, good place to stay.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
I want to thank you for the great comments you made about the staff and the hotel. I would also like to apologize about the snow removal. I have spoke to the snow removal company and our maintenance staff about the importance of keeping the sidewalks cleared.
Redmond, WA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2013

This hotel is in a convenient location in Emporia, walking distance to several restaurants (IHOP, Pizza Hut, Pizza Ranch, a buffet) and Walmart (which in Emporia is a decent place to shop). The rooms were adequately large, with plenty of bedding. I appreciated the soft, firm and hard pillows (labeled!). They had a crib ready and waiting in the room after I requested it in the online reservation. Friendliness of staff varied from helpful to harried, but I didn't have any problems. The breakfast was of middling quality but plentiful. (Cereal, oatmeal, scrambled eggs, biscuits and gravy, sausage, boiled eggs, yogurt, milk, juice, coffee, tea and an automatic pancake machine!) The common areas (hallways, elevator) were clearly in need of vacuuming. Construction is happening RIGHT behind the hotel, but that didn't affect us on a weekend. Overall a fine option but not the best value.

Room Tip: On weekdays ask for a room on the front of the hotel to avoid construction.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family