“Just average.”

Ranked #8 of 15 Hotels in Emporia
Kansas City, KS
“Just average.”
Reviewed April 14, 2013

We stayed at this hotel April 12-13. We find ourselves in Emporia frequently for sports competitions. I booked online a few months in advance and prepaid in order to get the reduced rate. When checking online a few weeks later, the price had even dropped more than what I prepaid. This was disappointing. When checking in, the receptionist was very kind with a smile. I asked for a quiet room. She gave me a room next to the construction on the back side of the hotel. Our view was of a large bulldozer. I'm not sure that was a "quiet" room I requested. There are obnoxious signs hanging around the hotel everywhere that warn everyone that the construction is not their problem. There was one at the desk when checking in, one in the elevator, one in the door to the pool. We saw all these signs within 1 minute of checking in . It scared us that the construction was noisy, and that the hotel didn't care about their guests. Take the signs down, management. They are tacky.

The room was average. 2 queen beds with refrigerator, microwave, coffeemaker, one TV. Bathroom quite small and difficult for 2 people to get ready in morning because the door swings inward.

When calling for wake up call, their official time was 15 minutes off. When receiving our wake up call, it was 15 min off also due to their incorrect official time. Not sure what that was all about.

Breakfast was average. Very kind man was recently new employee keeping everything stocked. He did well. Very clean area.

This hotel was too average for me to stay again for the price we paid. I would stay at another hotel in Emporia in the future. My family agreed.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from construction site.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank bananasue37
Kelli M, General Manager at Quality Inn & Suites, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
Thank you for your review, I have found it to be very helpful. I have taken your feedback and the wake up call system has been fixed. Along with more training for the front desk on where to place guest that request a certain area.
Kelli Mai

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
kansas
Reviewed April 11, 2013

The hotel was right next to Pizza Ranch, which has the best broasted chicken around. The room was very comfortable, pillows and bed were good. Temperature was easily adjusted. They had some kind of sweet Danish when I checked in. A nice touch, very tasty. The wireless Internet was spotty. I think that just kind of goes with the hotel business. Breakfast was nice, very clean, good variety, good coffee. I'm not giving it a perfect score because of the Internet.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for the great review, it is always a pleasure to make a guest happy. You will be happy to know that we are in the process of having our internet upgraded. So the next time you come to visit us you should have no problem with it.
Pittsburgh
Reviewed April 10, 2013

Just off I-35 in Emporia, very convenient area. Stayed here on business for 2 1/2 weeks. Rooms were clean, comfortable and well kept. Staff was friendly and helpful as I needed to extend my room twice and they were able to accomodate me. The hotel was pretty quite and was helpful since I was working at nights and needed to sleep during the day. On-site laundry,
restraunts within walking distance as is a Wal-Mart. Everty hotel in the area is overpriced and this one was as well. Don't know what the big draw is. One thing they can do better is snow removal! Had two storms with 10" each time. Hotel should make it a point to at least shovel the walkway. Overall, good place to stay.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
I want to thank you for the great comments you made about the staff and the hotel. I would also like to apologize about the snow removal. I have spoke to the snow removal company and our maintenance staff about the importance of keeping the sidewalks cleared.
Redmond, WA
Reviewed March 20, 2013

This hotel is in a convenient location in Emporia, walking distance to several restaurants (IHOP, Pizza Hut, Pizza Ranch, a buffet) and Walmart (which in Emporia is a decent place to shop). The rooms were adequately large, with plenty of bedding. I appreciated the soft, firm and hard pillows (labeled!). They had a crib ready and waiting in the room after I requested it in the online reservation. Friendliness of staff varied from helpful to harried, but I didn't have any problems. The breakfast was of middling quality but plentiful. (Cereal, oatmeal, scrambled eggs, biscuits and gravy, sausage, boiled eggs, yogurt, milk, juice, coffee, tea and an automatic pancake machine!) The common areas (hallways, elevator) were clearly in need of vacuuming. Construction is happening RIGHT behind the hotel, but that didn't affect us on a weekend. Overall a fine option but not the best value.

Room Tip: On weekdays ask for a room on the front of the hotel to avoid construction.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Schererville, Indiana
Reviewed March 15, 2013

I have been staying at this hotel since Dec 3. One would expect that I would get some treatment beyond the one night stand traveler (literally). However, this is not the case with some of the desk staff, in particular, Christine, the manager. She is obnoxious and thinks that the customer works for her. Along those lines, one of her proteges takes a similar attitude, Luara. However, to compensate, other desk staff personnel are really great especially Kelli, the overall manager, AJ and Kirsten. The housekeeping staff is pretty good but not exceptional. The pricing of the rooms varies greatly. If you are a senior make sure to ask for the senior discount as it's pretty good. I think better than AARP or others. I would recommend this hotel but not put up with guff from the individuals mentioned above.

Room Tip: Stay on the 3rd floor on the entrance side of the hotel. Construction activities are going on in the...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank lemonaid73
Lakeville, Minnesota
Reviewed January 29, 2013

Just off I-35 this hotel was not only convenient but the rooms were very clean and comfortable. Everything about this Holiday Inn Express was in tip-top shape! Staff was very friendly and breakfast was adequate (the hot scrambled eggs were delicious). We also appreciated being able to walk to a good steakhouse, Montana Mike's, and a Starbucks. Only complaint was the temperature ofthe room was hard to adjust - either too hot or too cold. We would definitely recommend to our friends without hesitation.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Raslakeville
Kelli M, General Manager at Quality Inn & Suites, responded to this review, January 30, 2013
I am trilled you enjoyed the convenience of the local area and the amenities the hotel has to offer. I will let maintenance know of you concerns about the AC units.
GM
Grand Island, Florida
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Stayed here on business for a week and its an older Holiday Inn Express in need of an update.

My room was clean but I had to move furniture to find available outlets for phone and computer chargers, only had three hangers to hang up some clothes, the bed was on the hard side but passable. A no frills room and hotel for sure...

Good luck with the internet! First night I had no issues, second night around 7:30pm the speed dropped and connection was horrible, spent an hour on the phone with eHost Tech Support which finally got me to a "Sorry, don't know what to tell you it's just a bad connection." The next night, same issue at the same time. I called back Tech Support and told the guy it was a bit suspicious and finally he finds me on the "penalize list" for no reason which was throttling my speed down to next to nothing. Unacceptable for business travelers that are trying to finish work. I know this may not be the hotels problem but they did choose to contract to this particular tech services group so it does fall back on them.

The "free" hot breakfast in the morning I wouldn't even feed to my dog so don't waste your time just grab a piece of fruit or muffin, not to mention there are just five small cramped together tables to sit at with the kitchen employee hovering over everyone while they try to eat.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank CCTVTrainer
I would like to offer my sincere apologies for the inconveniences you experienced at our hotel. We want to offer the best service possible, and feedback from our guests helps us to do that. Thank you for your review and I will take appropriate action to try to fix the all that you have informed me of.
GM

Travelers are raving about these Emporia hotels