“Great place and expectations!”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites El Dorado
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in El Dorado
Reviewed January 19, 2013

This hotel is in a small town, but it is a nice one. The staff is professional, and helpful. The rooms are really nice, clean, and beds are comfortable. The breakfast is so delicious, and great way to start the day. This hotel is rather new. I wish the prices were lower, and more affordable. They don't allow pets, or smoking, so there isn't odd smells in the lobby, or rooms. The only problem is the location, although the hotel sits right off the main highway, there is a refinery plant in the town which does omit oders. Inside the hotel, is not affected. It really is a nice place, and I would recommend to family and friends.

Room Tip: Ask for the south side and upper level. The suites are really nice, and worth the price.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank CARYLS K

Reviewed December 31, 2012 via mobile

We pulled in here on our way back to Texas due to it started snowing. This one is located right off the turnpike across from the toll booths so easy access off and back on. They have an indoor pool and double queen beds, which is great when you have kids like us. Walmart and places to eat less than a mile down the road, although breakfast is included. The Huddle House next to Walmart is very nice and upscale from the normal ones. I would definatly stay here again instead of Wichita as planned.

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed December 28, 2012

What a great hotel! We had a super nice, clean, quiet room at this hotel with a super comfortable bed. Everything worked great and the breakfast was excellent as has always been my experience at an HGI hotel. The gent at the front desk was super friendly and helpful. The pool and hot tub looked so enticing but we were just too beat from our 13-hour drive that day. The workout room also looked great but we didn't use it. I would definitely recommend this hotel if you're in the El Dorado area.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 23, 2012

We were so grateful to find an affordable, clean, and comfortable place to stay in such a small town! The beds were cozy, the staff was amazingly friendly, and the breakfast had lots of tasty options. We will be staying here every time we go to El Dorado to visit family :)

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed May 27, 2012

I stayed here in April and was greeted with warm cookies and a bottle of water - I remember the room being fantastic and a great overall visit. I just stayed again last week and had a very different experience. No cookies at check-in and I was put in a room next to a woman with 6 kids, including a screaming toddler. I'm a mom and have traveled much with my kids so the kids themselves weren't the problem but why they'd place a business traveler next to vacationing, screaming, jumping, and running toddlers is. My room had a very odd smell to it that two days of air freshener and a candle burning couldn't fix. The king room rate is $20 more than a double queen.... ???? What the heck? This is the first time I've had a issue getting a king at the government rate at ANY chain. The pool and fitness room close at 10pm which is ridiculous for business travelers - I don't even get finished with work and back to my room until 9:30 or later and would love to unwind with a swim, hot tub, or workout. Another guest and I were asked to leave with a curt, "Guys, the pool closed 15 minutes ago, you need to leave." My room key worked on the outside end doors only half the time, forcing me to go clear around the building into the lobby and wait for her to code in another key, without so much as an apology.

The one thing I realize is a personal preference and probably not in the manager's control is the air conditioning system. As a frequent traveler, I prefer to set the a/c at a very cool temperature but appreciate being able to leave the fan on constant so the a/c kicks on when needed for temp control but there's air moving at all times. With this unit, that's impossible. Either the a/c is on auto, clicking off and on which means constant TV volume adjustment or the fan is on constant and within 1/2 hour I was sweltering.

One FANTASTIC thing is that this hotel keeps a/c units on in the hallways so they are cool. I hate being comfortable in the room and then walking into an 80 degree hallway.

Overall it's a decent stay, nothing special, but definitely the best in El Dorado. I will say that I did NOT appreicate the lecture-ish letter I received at check-in from the General Manager asking for a specific rating if I receive a phone call for a review.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Lisa H
Reviewed May 24, 2012

I was there recently for a one night stay and I have to say I was very impressed with this hotel and its staff. The front desk agent was busy at the time of my check in but recognized me and then apologized for my wait. He also acknowledged my Priority Club status.

Room was arranged very nicely, bed very comfortable, and bathroom met my expectations. All furniture was in great condition and the room was spotless clean as well as the bathroom.

The breakfast the next morning was filling, delicious, and really could not ask for any more than what was offered. I did get to enjoy the very nice and relaxing indoor swimming pool and hottub. Grounds were immaculate. It is very evident from the first to the last impression that the management and staff take great pride in their property.

Location of hotel is very convenient to the Kansas Tollway (right across the street from the exit ramp) as well as eating establishments, a Wal Mart and other businesses.

There was only one minor problem - I must have been the first person to want to utilize a safe deposit box. The front desk agent did not quite know what to do or how to handle it. Let me say, the front desk agent at check in and now dealing with my depost box was a very professional, polite, and eager to learn young man named Cody. If all hotel properties had front desk agents as great as Cody was that would be one complaint eliminated from their files. Cody's professionalism and manner is directly related to managment training at this property and strange to say on a site like this, his parents. He followed the protocol he was aware of and I kind of pointed out what needed to be done to protect my interest and to protect his and his properties interest. The next morning when obtaining my safe deposit box materials, the front desk agent again was unsure of what to do but did have some idea. With all of Cody's thorough notekeeping, my box was opened with no problem. I am sorry I do not have her name but again she was very pleasant, very nice, and quite interested in making the guest stay as great as it can be.

I would highly recommend this property as a very nice and very relaxing stop off for the evening or if business carries you to this part of Kansas, definitely would recommend staying here.

Managment truly deserves kudos on the exceptional quality of this property, hiring the "right" people for the "right" positions, and instilling pride in the team at this property.

I cannot promise I will ever be back in this area, but if I am I certainly would look forward to staying here once again. Keep up the great work and Cody keep that outstanding attitude you have towards your guests.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank twincitiestravler
Reviewed April 24, 2012

I only rate this an average due to the fact that they did not acknowledge me as a platinum priority member. Was not given an upgrade. That may seem harsh but as a traveler that spends about 300 nights a year in hotels it is important and it is a program Holiday Inn pushes so I feel the staff should be trained better. The hotel is super clean and well located.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
Andrea V, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites El Dorado, responded to this reviewResponded May 23, 2012

Thank you very much for posting a review about our Holiday Inn Express in El Dorado, KS. I am sorry to hear that my staff did not recognize your Platinum status as a Priority Club Member and will follow up with my team about it. We will roll out additional training for the staff members as well to ensure this does not happen again.

We not only value all of out guests that comes to stay with us but we also want to extend additional gratitude to our Priority Club Members. I feel we do so by honoring all the benefits thr program has to offer as well as offering a nice cold bottle of water at check in.

I hope you visit us again soon and get a chance to see our changes! When you know you will be visiting us again please be sure to ask for me and I will ensure you will be taken care of.

Happy travels!

#5 of 8 in El Dorado
No photo provided
Motel 6 El Dorado
#6 of 8 in El Dorado

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites El Dorado? Share your experiences!