“Worked out fine, but the pool was too cold!”

Stay Suites of America - Dodge City
Ranked #7 of 19 Hotels in Dodge City
Reviewed January 5, 2014

The hotel worked out fine for our trip home. I would say that the pool was too cold (in the winter, it is nice to have a warm pool!). Also, the room didn't smell very good (like someone had smoked in the room and the staff tried to cover that up with a disinfectant smell? -- the window to the room was open). There was also a small mixup with our receipt (we pre-paid, yet received an unpaid receipt). Breakfast and staff were fine, as was the location.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
Linda B, Manager at Stay Suites of America - Dodge City, responded to this reviewResponded January 8, 2014

I apologize for the inconvenience that you had during your recent stay with us. Please accept my sincere apology. I have instructed the maintenance to check in to the problems that occurred and I certainly apologize for the window being open. It is hard for us to keep the pool at a steady temperature with the weather as cold as it has been. Your receipt would have came from the company that you paid and not from the hotel as most prepaid reservations are made through Expedia, Hotel.com etc. Please feel free to contact the hotel if you have further concerns. However, I do appreciate you taking the time from your busy schedule to write a review. Again, thank you.

There are newer reviews for Stay Suites of America - Dodge City

Reviewed November 4, 2013

It was our last night of a 4 day road trip. I was a bit dissapointed to arrive at this older hotel after passing some other more attractive locations.
The room was comfortable and clean, and we actually were able to get a smoking room, which is becoming rare these days. The breakfast was typical of a place of this caliber.

I'm trying not to let my impressions of Dodge City Kansas reflect on this hotel. We planned on visiting the town because of what was written about the old west atmosphere. What we witnessed was a working class, older town whose wild west history was isolated and mostly reproduced. What was planned to be a day of sightseeing turned out to be just a couple of hours of investigating the few attractions, only to end up heading home to Nebraska earlier than planned.

The hotel is okay for the price. Nothing extravagant, but nothing terrible either.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Stay Suites of America - Dodge City, responded to this reviewResponded November 19, 2013

Dear cantstayhome,

Thank you for taking the time to convey your comments regarding your recent experience with us. I am glad you liked your room accommodations. We rely on you, our guest, to let us know how we are doing and how we can better meet your needs. I have taken note and wish to thank you for all your valuable comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually.

Regards,

Jaime W

Reviewed October 5, 2013

I stayed here for 1 night of a 33 night roadtrip. The hotel is slightly out of town, but only a few minutes drive away and there's plenty of parking at and around Boot Hill. My room was quiet and clean, although I felt it was slightly overpriced. However, there's not a huge amount of choice in Dodge City so it could have been worse! The staff were friendly and check-in was swift. Would I stay here again? Yes, although I'm not sure when I'll next be in this part of the US.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
Linda B, General Manager at Stay Suites of America - Dodge City, responded to this reviewResponded October 8, 2013

Thank you for the nice review you gave the Holiday Inn Express in Dodge City Kansas. As general manager I appreciate the comments. We feel that it is essential to have a nice clean facility for our guests. I hope your journey was pleasant and if in the future, you are ever in the area again, we hope that you will stay with us. Again thank you for the nice review.

Linda

Reviewed September 22, 2013

As you reach the outskirts of Dodge City, KS on Highway 50 eastbound you will easily branch off to Wyatt Earp Blvd.. A short distance down the road you will see this Holiday Inn Express situated just off the roadway. Other hotels are located in the same general area as well. This two story Holiday Inn Express appears older on the exterior. Plenty of parking was available in the front of the building or rear area. The staff was friendly and helpful. The interior of the building was very clean and well kept. Our room faced Wyatt Earp Blvd.. Noise from traffic on the roadway was not bothersome during the night. As morning approached the heavy truck noise on the roadway picked up. Our room had a small refrigerator, microwave and desk. WiFi internet access from our room was free. The hotel is located near many restaurants, gas stations and other services. The hotel offers a free morning breakfast buffet that included a variety of dry or hot cereals, bread, yogurt, eggs, juices, coffee, milk etc. that was good and plentiful. If we were to return to Dodge City we would not hesitate to once again stay at this hotel.

Room Tip: Request a room facing the rear of the building.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Stay Suites of America - Dodge City, responded to this reviewResponded October 7, 2013

Dear SeniorExplorer,

Thank you for sharing such nice comments about your stay with us. I am glad that you were able to enjoy the breakfast and convenient hotel location. Our goal is to make your stay the best it can be and it looks like we accomplished our goal. We look forward to making your next stay even more memorable. Thank you again.

Zelyn N

Reviewed September 6, 2013 via mobile

I made reservations using the ap on my iPhone knowing we would be arriving late at night. We had not stayed at this hotel before but typically the Holiday Inn Express is a good experience.
Upon check in at 11 PM we err told that it was a smoking hotel and the website does not allow the choice of smoking/nonsmoking rooms. We ended up with 1 of each. Our nonsmoking room smelled of smoke. It's may well be because the rooms are in very close proximity. They use very strong air fresheners to try to cover the smokey smell, however they are not very effective.
The hotel staff were friendly, the hotel was clean so we can't complain about that at all.
Those with respiratory issues or allergies may want to make alternate choices.

• Stayed: September 2013
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Stay Suites of America - Dodge City, responded to this reviewResponded September 25, 2013

Dear simonsays85,

Thank you so much for your candid review of our hotel. Please accept my sincerest apology for the inconvenience you may have had with the condition of the rooms that you were given. I appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services. Despite this, I am happy that you found our staff to be friendly.

We all hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Pam G

Reviewed August 26, 2013

Hands down worst Holiday Inn Express I have stayed in for a LONG time. I should know because I have stayed in a lot of great HIE's and this isn't one of them. No recognition as a rewards member when I checked in. I booked a no smoking room and ended up with, you guessd it, a smoking room reeking of smoke. The property in general is starting to look tired. Again I should know because I have stayed at this property a few times a year since it was first opened. Everything seems to have slipped a lot from the service to the general condition of things. Last but not least the bathroom had hair left in it. If I was staying for more than one night I would have gone somewhere else after the first night. This HI is going way done on the list of my list of places to stay in Dodge City.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Stay Suites of America - Dodge City, responded to this reviewResponded September 10, 2013

Dear Ken M ,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. I’m very sorry to hear about your experience on your recent stay. I would love the opportunity to regain your faith in our hotel and would welcome the opportunity to discuss your stay in further details. I have sent you a private message to obtain additional detail regarding your stay. I look forward to hearing from you and being of further assistance.

Connie D

Reviewed August 7, 2013

I couldn't reserve a non-smoking room so I selected "standard" and noted "top floor, non smoking please". The double front doors are the guests first impression and unfortunately, it's not a good one -- they don't open automatically so for those traveling alone, you're really wrangling with luggage and bags trying to keep them open while the staff stands around watching you and has mentioned, the door area is absolutely filthy. I arrived to learn from the front desk associate how luck I was to get a ground floor king non-smoking because normally the standard selection gets the smoking rooms. I wasn't recognized as a Priority member and usually the front desk recognizes me then hands me a bottle of water or something - this isn't required but it's just a nice gesture that's nonexistent here. I went to my room on this 95' day to feel the same temp in my room - the a/c unit was set to "fan" rather than "cool" (a/c) so the room was basically a sauna. I appreciated the laminated note from the manager telling me the unit was set to fan, but it wasn't needed as that was incredibly obvious. If the room was reserved and guaranteed, couldn't someone have turned on the a/c at some point in the day for the guest. There were four flies in the room as well as stains on the bed coverlet. The rooms and furniture are definitely in need of an updating and a coat of paint, mine looked very very worn, the bathroom toilet was really stained, the tub would barely drain, the shower head had great pressure but it was covered with scale. The internet service kept dropping and I finally just paid my cell provider to create a hot spot. It was difficult to work anyway because the desk area only had one plugin. I couldn't use the couch area because the springs were shot and I sunk to the ground when I sat in on it. I finally used the bed and just ran my longer cords across the room. The large dog next door barked and being on the first floor there was a lot of traffic in the halls (which is why I request top floors) creating noise making it difficult to work. The general overall feel is an outdated, musty, and not-too-clean facility. I realize a standard response could be "Did you notify the front desk about these issues?" Well no I didn't. The rooms are supposedly cleaned daily/very often and should be thoroughly inspected by management on a regular basis so there should be no need for guests to notify the front desk about something as obvious as severe scale on fixtures, musty smelly rooms, and tubs that don't drain. I will say that the woman handling the breakfast area and the housekeeping staff were VERY friendly!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Linda B, General Manager at Stay Suites of America - Dodge City, responded to this reviewResponded August 12, 2013

I apologize for all of the inconveniences that occurred during your stay. I will take it to my staff and we will fix what issues that we can. I also apologize for not being able to provide an upstairs king room as this is an issue that was unavoidable since we were already booked.The rooms upstairs had stay overs already in the rooms. Please accept my sincere apology.

Linda Breid