“Tired? Then you and this HIE feel the same way.”

Stay Suites of America - Dodge City
Ranked #7 of 19 Hotels in Dodge City
Wichita, Kansas
“Tired? Then you and this HIE feel the same way.”
Reviewed August 26, 2013 via mobile

Hands down worst Holiday Inn Express I have stayed in for a LONG time. I should know because I have stayed in a lot of great HIE's and this isn't one of them. No recognition as a rewards member when I checked in. I booked a no smoking room and ended up with, you guessd it, a smoking room reeking of smoke. The property in general is starting to look tired. Again I should know because I have stayed at this property a few times a year since it was first opened. Everything seems to have slipped a lot from the service to the general condition of things. Last but not least the bathroom had hair left in it. If I was staying for more than one night I would have gone somewhere else after the first night. This HI is going way done on the list of my list of places to stay in Dodge City.

Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Stay Suites of America - Dodge City, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
Dear Ken M ,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. I’m very sorry to hear about your experience on your recent stay. I would love the opportunity to regain your faith in our hotel and would welcome the opportunity to discuss your stay in further details. I have sent you a private message to obtain additional detail regarding your stay. I look forward to hearing from you and being of further assistance.

Connie D
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Goessel, ks
Reviewed August 7, 2013

I couldn't reserve a non-smoking room so I selected "standard" and noted "top floor, non smoking please". The double front doors are the guests first impression and unfortunately, it's not a good one -- they don't open automatically so for those traveling alone, you're really wrangling with luggage and bags trying to keep them open while the staff stands around watching you and has mentioned, the door area is absolutely filthy. I arrived to learn from the front desk associate how luck I was to get a ground floor king non-smoking because normally the standard selection gets the smoking rooms. I wasn't recognized as a Priority member and usually the front desk recognizes me then hands me a bottle of water or something - this isn't required but it's just a nice gesture that's nonexistent here. I went to my room on this 95' day to feel the same temp in my room - the a/c unit was set to "fan" rather than "cool" (a/c) so the room was basically a sauna. I appreciated the laminated note from the manager telling me the unit was set to fan, but it wasn't needed as that was incredibly obvious. If the room was reserved and guaranteed, couldn't someone have turned on the a/c at some point in the day for the guest. There were four flies in the room as well as stains on the bed coverlet. The rooms and furniture are definitely in need of an updating and a coat of paint, mine looked very very worn, the bathroom toilet was really stained, the tub would barely drain, the shower head had great pressure but it was covered with scale. The internet service kept dropping and I finally just paid my cell provider to create a hot spot. It was difficult to work anyway because the desk area only had one plugin. I couldn't use the couch area because the springs were shot and I sunk to the ground when I sat in on it. I finally used the bed and just ran my longer cords across the room. The large dog next door barked and being on the first floor there was a lot of traffic in the halls (which is why I request top floors) creating noise making it difficult to work. The general overall feel is an outdated, musty, and not-too-clean facility. I realize a standard response could be "Did you notify the front desk about these issues?" Well no I didn't. The rooms are supposedly cleaned daily/very often and should be thoroughly inspected by management on a regular basis so there should be no need for guests to notify the front desk about something as obvious as severe scale on fixtures, musty smelly rooms, and tubs that don't drain. I will say that the woman handling the breakfast area and the housekeeping staff were VERY friendly!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Linda B, General Manager at Stay Suites of America - Dodge City, responded to this review, August 12, 2013
I apologize for all of the inconveniences that occurred during your stay. I will take it to my staff and we will fix what issues that we can. I also apologize for not being able to provide an upstairs king room as this is an issue that was unavoidable since we were already booked.The rooms upstairs had stay overs already in the rooms. Please accept my sincere apology.

Travelers are raving about these Dodge City hotels

Wichita, Kansas
Reviewed August 4, 2013

Clean well-maintained older property. Exceptional front desk clerk who helped us with luggage upon arrival. Reservation correct at check-in. Recognized as Priority club member. Large king bedded room. No microwave or refrigerator. Good Internet service. Indoor pool/hot tub open 24 hrs. Breakfast-Loved the individually wrapped slices of bread! Served sausage. Prefer bacon. Quiet stay. No problems.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Linda B, General Manager at Stay Suites of America - Dodge City, responded to this review, August 6, 2013
Thank you so much for the nice review. I apologize for the room not having a microwave and refrigerator. We are working towards every room getting one, but just are not quite there yet. I sincerely hope you enjoyed the Dodge City Days and we are looking forward to next years event. Again, thank you for taking the time to write a review.

General manager
Rio Rancho, New Mexico
Reviewed July 22, 2013

We stayed at the Holiday Inn Express Dodge City on our way through Kansas. It is located at the extreme end of Wyatt Earp from the Boot Hill Museum. Front desk and breakfast area attendants were attentive.
However we had some minor problems with the room - the bathtub drain backed up during our showers, the wireless internet service kept dropping out and there was no desk chair, just an arm chair which made it uncomfortable to do any computer work.
Train tracks run parallel to Wyatt Earp which is next to the hotel (which is the even numbered room side). Train noise could be heard all night.

Room Tip: Odd numbered rooms will be quieter then even numbered.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Linda B, General Manager at Stay Suites of America - Dodge City, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. This gives us the chance to correct any problems that may exist. I am sorry the trains interrupted your sleep. This is something we cannot correct. At this time there are a few more trains running than normal since a lot of rerouting is being done due to weather issues, and some severe accidents in other areas. However, normally we do not have that many going through at night. I am confident that if you informed the front desk about the drain that this problem was corrected as no one enjoys standing in water while showering. Also, I want to thank you for the nice compliment on the employees attentiveness. Again, I apologize for any inconveniences and hope the rest of your trip was good.
Oskaloosa, IA
Reviewed July 22, 2013

The Dodge City Holiday Inn Express was a very satisfactory place to stop for the night. We were on our way home after a trip throughout the West, and welcomed the quiet of the hotel. The breakfast the next morning was not quite as good as the HIE we'd stayed in two nights before. I have a real aversion to those "formed" egg products. The breakfast room itself was one of the nicest I've seen in a HIE....very large, lots of seating, and tastefully decorated. I appreciated having a local newspaper available also. I appreciate finding a Holiday Inn Express when I'm traveling...

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us at the Holiday Inn Express in Dodge City during your trip. Hopefully ,we can improve on our breakfast as time goes on. I appreciate you taking the time to write a review. It allows us to evaluate on what we need to improve on. Again, thank you for staying with us and we hope to see you in the future if you are ever traveling in this area again.

SW Florida
Reviewed July 14, 2013

This was night 14 of a 20 day road trip. We booked a month in advance by calling the motel directly, and asked for a ground floor room. We were assigned room 221. The AAA discount was applied. The room had squeaky floors and thin walls. The plumbing from next door was very loud and there was lots of wall banging from 221. Teens were walking up and down the halls knocking on doors. This is definitely not on our return list. 2 of the staff recommended restaurants were closed.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Linda B, General Manager at Stay Suites of America - Dodge City, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
I apologize for the inconvenience you incurred during your trip while staying at our hotel. I also apologize that we were unable to fulfill your request for first floor as sometimes these rooms are not available because of previous scheduled guests even though we try hard to honor all requests. Thank you for taking the time to voice your concerns and hopefully the rest of your trip was great.

Texas
Reviewed July 9, 2013

Great place to stay during the annual sprint cars races. Well maintained hotel with a great staff. Rooms are very clean, everything works and can't complain about a thing. Kids enjoyed the indoor pool, and breakfast was fine. Internet works well so what more an you ask for. Lots of parking in the back also for the racers and their big haulers.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Linda B, General Manager at Stay Suites of America - Dodge City, responded to this review, July 12, 2013
Thank you very much for staying with us at the Holiday Inn Express in Dodge City. I appreciate you taking the time to write a review on our hotel. We appreciate all comments as we strive to create a great guest experience for our guests. Again, thank you and we hope that you will return to the Holiday Inn Express in the future, or next year at race time.