“Excellent Food at Great Price”

Wanda's Roadside Cafe
Ranked #1 of 7 Restaurants in De Soto
Cuisines: American
Description: I just had probably the best hot roast beef I've ever had in more than six decades. The beef shunks were very tender, the mashed potatoes were real and fresh and to top it off the gravy was delicious, not too salty and get this-made from drippings not a mix. The helping was large and the price was $6.95. If you are traveling on K10 between KC and Lawrence, Ks., get off the road and go to the tiny downtown.
Reviewed March 24, 2014

If you're looking for copious amounts of excellent food choose Wanda's. We've eaten there twice, and both times were outstanding. Wanda's serves large portions, and uses meat from the local butcher shop. The service is friendly, and the décor homey.

The menu is full of comfort dishes. Two "best I've ever hads" include the chicken fried steak and the open roast beef sandwich. Oh yeah, and don't forget the homemade sweet buns which are incredible.

Overall Wanda's is a great eatery, and well worth traveling to. The only thing to keep in mind is that Wanda's is not a large place, so it can be challenging to find seating for large parties when busy.

1  Thank momof3js

Reviewed September 27, 2013

Wanda's is truly a tiny gem of a cafe located in downtown De Soto. My son and I stopped in for breakfast this morning and we both enjoyed our meals: I had a vegetarian omelet with hash browns and toast and he had french toast. The food is so down-home good that I felt like I was having breakfast at my Grandma's house. They had specials posted on a chalkboard and all of the specials sounded delicious. I live not far from DeSoto and I can't wait to go back. It's open for breakfast and lunch and closed on Mondays.

1  Thank Dena M
Reviewed July 20, 2013

A little off the beaten path, but worth the trip. Try the roast beef open sandwich. Friendly service and nostalgic décor.

Reviewed May 4, 2013

It is just down the road and it is good home cooking. Wanda expects everyone to come hungry. I don't think anyone has ever left unsatisified. I have not had anything there yet that I did not love and I have tried a lot.

Reviewed August 8, 2012

I mentioned wanting some of Moma's cooking so bad that I had made some of her potato salad and Wanda invited me to try hers along with some fried spice cake. These extras made my delicious breakfast seem like Mom sat it there instead of the lovely ladies at Wanda's. The only thing missing was the list of chores to be done when I finished. Thank you! Jeffrey Lee

2  Thank jeff s