“Homestyle Fried Goodness”

Hays House
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed October 14, 2013

Had a large group dinner here where we tried nearly every menu item! Not a fancy place, but good cookin'. Loved the fried chicken livers and mashed potatoes!

Reviewed October 9, 2013

My wife and I just happened to get to Council Grove at breakfast time while on a trip through Kansas so we decided to try out the Hays House. Good decision. We each ordered a one-egg breakfast with other side items - bacon, toast, fruit, etc. The eggs are huge and the in-house made bread was amazing. Everything was absolutely wonderful. Our server was very friendly and invited us to tour this 1857 building on our own, including the upstairs and the cellar. The cashier was just as friendly and gave me a little flyer telling some of the history of the building and of the Santa Fe Trail. I highly recommend that you go there if you are anywhere close.

Reviewed September 27, 2013

Had lunch at the Hays House with family that lives there. Very tasty meals for all. Friendly service, Good prices for lunch. Portions were large for a luncheon menu. Chicken fried steak cooked as it was originally prepared in days by gone.

Reviewed September 9, 2013

The oldest continuously operating restaurant west of the Mississippi! The food is GREAT, service can't be beat and the staff is friendly. There is nothing on the menu that I wouldn't recommend. I'm a local and we eat here quite often. Their desserts are wonderful and they make their own ice cream. There was a change in management a few years ago and the food went downhill very fast. But Rick is back and you won't be disappointed!

Reviewed September 4, 2013

Liked the hamburger I was served a lot. Nice staff; had been told that it was good and had eaten there before. However, another friend had indicated that the food had gone down hill. This was not the case. Very pleasing experience.