“coffee time”

Hays House
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed July 2, 2013

I had stop for a cake, it was so good...so taste..I would like to go back to eat that cheese cake...the best white cheese cake ever..

Reviewed June 22, 2013

Me and my wife had dinner upstairs middle of the week. We came in late but were invited in and food prepared from scratch for us. Excellent fried chicken and salmon. Thanked the chef personally. Very friendly manager and waitress who showed us around the historical buidling.

1  Thank Hein_Ria
Reviewed June 4, 2013

The Hays House, oldest continuously operated restaurant west of the MS River. Opened by a grandson of Daniel Boone, and visited by Jesse James and General Custer. Didn't really expect much from the food (1850's Midwestern cuisine? May have changed a little, but not much), and it lived up to my expectations. I mainly came to draw in the experience and to say that I tried that. Service was good, little bit of a wait, but not bad. Atmosphere was strange, and I don't really know how to put this into words. I am from rural KS, and KS is not at all like this, but the atmosphere had kind of a "Deliverance" kind of feel (like locals watching the out-of-towners). The history in this place is fascinating, especially the old bar downstairs! Hays House is not really about the food, the service, or the atmosphere though, it is about the history, and being able to still experience that history firsthand. This place is like a museum, and I hope that it stays open regardless of anyone's review of the food, service, or atmosphere.

1  Thank niel k
Reviewed April 2, 2013

We have only eaten at this establishment twice. Once for lunch in December and once for supper at the end of January for my husbands birthday.

The lunch was an very good experience for the money$. Service good. We enjoyed it enough to make plans to return for a supper/dinner a month later on a weekend night.

We understood the price would be higher but expected the food to be more than worth it.

Overall supper/dinner was good but not great. The portions size ok. The price off the chart for a small midwest town dining event with less than melt in your mouth food. For the four of us we spent over $120 for the evening with tip.

Would we go again. Yes, for lunch. The food, limited salad bar, and service just doesn't justify the expense for supper/dinner. Plus in our case it's about an hour drive at dark making the trip itself less than interesting. For a lunch trip the drive provides a relaxing and enjoyable view of the flinthills of Kansas.

If you do go in the evening ask to sit upstairs where the atmosphere and decor are far more interesting than the main floor.

1  Thank dewthedew
Reviewed February 17, 2013

This is the oldest continuously operating restaurant west of the Mississippi. It had fallen down some over the last few years due to poor management, but now they have new owners and it's back to it's previously good performance. Food was good, service was good and the place was clean. What more can you ask for.

1  Thank dqdick