“Letdown from what I had heard”
Review of Hays House

Hays House
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed September 10, 2012

The restaurant has been open since 1857, but has obviously been rebuilt and remodeled several times. I stopped in on Sunday morning around 8 am and there was only one other patron. While I was there only a few more people came in. I had the "Railroad Special" with sausage patties. The biscuits were on the small side. The gravy appeared to have some little bits of meat that looked more like finely diced ham rather than sausage. The gravy was only warm. The sausage patties were real good with a spicy bite to them. For the price, I get more for my money in Kansas City. The waitress did a good job checking on me and refilling my coffee. She was friendly and cheerful.

2  Thank Steve K

Reviewed July 27, 2012

Went to the Hays House for dinner, primarily because of the historic nature of the building. Built in 1857, it is one of the oldest continuously operating inns along the Santa Fe Trail. The exterior of the building is interesting, but the interior portion containing the dining room has been completely remodeled (in a pleasant-enough style) so there is not much connection to the past history of the building. I thought the food was of average quality and the portions were large--too much for me to finish. The dining room was nearly full when we arrived at 7pm so there was a fairly long wait for our dinner. Not sure that there is really much competition in the general dining category in this small Kansas town, so you will probably visit the Hays House if you visit Council Grove.

1  Thank traveler4545
Reviewed July 13, 2012

This may or may not be the oldest continually operating restaurant west of the Mississippi, but it is certainly old enough to justify a visit by anyone who cares about the history of the Great Plains. We have not yet been disappointed by either the food or the service, though, depending on how much of a crowd is present, service is not always the speediest. In the evening, that does not matter very much for people like us, as there is seldom much to be in a hurry about in Council Grove at night. Having been born in Council Grove, I seize every opportunity to stop off there on trips to and from the Far West, and dinner at the Hays House is always a high point on those expeditions. We'll continue to patronize it whenever we can.

1  Thank Murray H
Reviewed July 6, 2012

It took us 45 minutes to get our dinner. The dinner was horrible, which is too bad, since we had eaten there once before and enjoyed our meal. We weren't the only ones waiting for their food. They had a huge party upstairs, but never said anything to any of us about it. We won't go again.
It's just bad planning for the kitchen help. It was also too noisy. Why are restaurants so noisy these days. Were they always this way?

1  Thank Paul M
Reviewed July 5, 2012

We arrived after 2pm and they no longer served lunch, only sandwiches. I had the brisket sandwhich which was average. The soup (beef and barley) was excellent. For dessert we had a cranberry-strawberry cream pie which was okay. The restaurant has a very nice and historical atmosphere.

1  Thank travellingJana