“Great Group Supper”

Trail Days Cafe & Museum
Cuisines: American, Native American, International
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Enjoy museum surroundings and a dining experience with history at the Trail Days Cafe & Museum located in the 1861 stone Terwilliger Home in Council Grove, KS. Guests are transported back to a time when homes along the Santa Fe Trail served as eating places. Delicious American Indian, Old world, Early American and 20th Century foods are served in a beautiful and cozy victorian setting.
Reviewed December 13, 2012

Our group of fifteen gathered for a family style dinner. It was a real treat. The food is homemade and very, very good. The husband and wife volunteers do all the cooking and serving. We enjoyed our own private dinner and were treated to the history lessons. I will definitely return if I am in Council Grove again!

2  Thank Bearpup

Reviewed October 28, 2012

Part history museum, part restaurant featuring foods the native Americans and various groups of settlers would have eaten. It is obviously a labor of love for the proprietors. They will discuss history of the building, area, ancestors or whatever you care to discuss. This is not everyone's cup of tea, but we loved it.

1  Thank Lee K
Reviewed October 5, 2012

We spent three days in Council Grove for a get away trip. We stayed at the Heritage House Bed & Breakfast, just west of town. It is a lovingly restored farmhouse, now a B&B, on a working farm.
Having seen the Trail Days Cafe in the restored Terwilliger Home when in town early in our trip, we decided we'd stop there for lunch the day of our departure. We weren't disappointed. You're greeted by your waiter who is also a volunteer historian who helped to restore the house. The menu contains specialties of the Flint Hills, such as beef and buffalo, but also meals from around the world: Italian, French, Scotch-Irish, German, English, and Early American, to name a few. My meal began with a garden salad of mixed greens. I chose for my main course a French Croque Monsieur, grilled ham and cheese topped with melted shredded cheese and walnuts. It was was hot, crispy and flavorful. My husband chose the "American Farm Meal" of meatloaf and mashed potatoes. Meals are homemade and fresh, prepared to order, and served with warm bread and butter. Fiddle music by the local Council Grove barber played in the background, and the dining room is delightfully decorated with period wallpaper, portraits, and furniture. Yes, as another reviewer said, don't be in a hurry while you enjoy the dining experience.

1  Thank Jeanne S
Reviewed September 29, 2012

I drove to Council Grove because of all the signs about historical sites. I was not disappointed. I stopped in at The Trail Days Cafe and Museum and had a great lunch with a history lesson from the waiter. He was a waiter and a volunteer at the museum. He was very knowledgeable about the area and told story after story. I would go back just to listen to him....and maybe have lunch too.

2  Thank targun
Reviewed September 13, 2012

Your meal comes with a large helping of history. After an overview of the history of the place, while your food is being prepared, you are welcome to tour the downstairs and outbuildings. It was pouring rain when we visited so we didn't see anything other than the house. The large variety of food, divided into historical time periods, was fresh farm-to-table fare.

1  Thank CheckOffBucketList