“Very comfortable stay - out of the way...”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Concordia US 81
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Concordia
Reviewed July 30, 2013

If you are looking for a hotel review in Concordia, Kansas you are likely in wind energy, ag, doing business with the county or the junior college or passing through on 81 on a long road north or south. Whatever your reason, this little HIE turned out to be a very resonably price, comfortable stop with the kids while I was showing them the "last west of 81 highway".

Very friendly front desk. Small indoor pool and jacuzzi. Not much for swimming due to size, but for a splash or relax it worked fine. Good size suite for about 130 USD with breakfast included. There aren't a load of dining options in Concordia, but there are a couple of bar/grills, several Tex Mex restaurants - including a fast food Taco John's and a Pizza Hut just across the highway. The Pizza Hut will walk your pizza over to your room....can't beat that.

If you are in town and have a few minutes, do check out the Opera House downtown and spend a coupld of bucks on main street. This town is doing better than most on the high plains. FYI - just north and west of town are two very small sites marking the location of a WWII German POW camp that was set in the fields there. Don't know that I will be back, but if I were I would certainly stay here out of the three choices I saw.

Room Tip: If you are there in summer, face west to not have the early monring sun.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed June 30, 2013

After a long day on the road, part of which was spent driving through some very bad weather, this Holiday inn Express was welcome relief. The desk clerk was very friendly and helpful. She gave us a room at the end of the hall where it was nice and quiet and recommended a Mexican restaurant in downtown Concordia that had great food. Our room was very clean and the beds were comfortable. There was a nice variety of food the next morning at breakfast. My husband was fascinated with the automatic pancake-making machine. This was the first time that we had seen one in our hotel stays. It has been a number of years since we have stayed at a Holiday Inn Express. We were very pleased with our stay and will be booking more stays at this hotel chain in the future.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed May 27, 2013

We stayed at the hotel over the Memorial Day weekend. We were recognized as HI Gold members at check-in, and the check-in experience was easy. Although this is the newest hotel in this area, it did not live up to my normal HI Express standards. I can best define the hotel as average. The hotel is starting to show some age over the last few years and it does not look like it has been updated since it's opening. There are marks and dings on the walls.

The room was good, standard HI Express standard. I will note that our rooms Air Conditioner acted like it had a piece of paper or a plastic bag stuck in it. It was very noisy during operation. The rest of the room was nice. Good TV, a decent amount of Channels, and the bathroom was good. The "sanitary" remote was an interesting thing to see. I had never seen one before!

The breakfast was a disappointment. Not based upon the quality and quantity of food, but just the fact that the breakfast area was clearly not ready for a capacity load. We had to wait several minutes to get in line for food, and we had to wait for a table, then for chairs to set and eat.

Overall, to us, the rate did not justify the experience, and I will drive on to Salina for my next stay. The hotel was a disappointment for the rate paid. It did not justify a $120/night rate for the hotel, but more of a $85/night hotel.

Room Tip: The west side of rooms are opposite a highway, at a speed reduced zone, so you will hear trucks usin...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank HI-Gold-Member
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Concordia US 81, responded to this reviewResponded June 15, 2013

Dear HI-Gold-Member,

Thank you for being an IHG Rewards Gold member and for writing us a review. I am pleased that you have not encountered any issues at check in. However, I would like to apologize for any inconvenience the hotel conditions may have caused you. Rest assured that the issues you have raised about has been documented and will be forwarded to the appropriate departments for necessary actions. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Janice A
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed May 14, 2013

I stayed here for a business appointment in a small town near by. Concordia is a very small town, but is very easy to get in and out of due to great highways. The hotel itself is nice. The TV was large and offered a nice selection of channels. The bed was comfortable with plenty of pillows and was most importantly clean. The wifi connection was very good and I was able to stream HULU with no issues. I did not stay for the breakfast, but seemed to be standard stuff.
The only downside was it did seem a bit pricey for such a small town and the wall mounted heater/air conditioner was loud.
Bottom line ....I would rather pay a couple of dollars and know what I am getting. Overall nice property.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed April 4, 2013

Concordia, KS, does not have a great number of motels to choose from. We booked this based not on its reviews, but on the basis of the reviews of competing locations. It's a solid motel: clean, well maintained, well located, with all the comforts you'd expect from a HI Express. Breakfast was ample, with a good selection of foods kept replenished by a helpful and cheerful staff member, who didn't seem to mind working Easter morning. The exercise room and pool were appreciated by my son, who said the whirlpool had too little water.

I stayed in a comparable hotel the night before, in another rural town, for substantially less for the same 3 adults. The alternatives are substantially less but, based on their reviews, one can expect substantially less as well. It was worth the additional expense, from our perspective.

One complaint: the wi-fi was difficult to access using my Nook Tablet and iPod Touch, because one can't simply log into the router but must fire up a browser and then log in at a website. This is increasingly common, unfortunately.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed March 21, 2013

We got a late start on a recent trip and did not make it as far south as we normally do on this run, and have often passed this hotel by, but due to the lateness of the evening, we decided to stop. Price was near $120 with tax - again for a small town - and not nearly 1/2 full, that was pricey. The rooms however were very nice, the bed extra comfortable, and the TV was a large flat screen with multiple channels. I did have some problems with the Wi-Fi as it was slow and would get caught up - but otherwise, everything else was fine.

The breakfast was outstanding - the egg dish was very tasty, with meat and really everything you would expect with a continental breakfast going beyond normal average taste to what I would say was exceptional.

The parking was not good due to a couple of evening meetings going on in the hotel as I guess they rent out their rooms to locals. There should be parking signs that say reserved for hotel guests for some of the closer spots.

However, due to the price, I would push on if going south in the future, with only an hour's drive to an Americinn that is half the cost and the same amenities - now if Holiday Inn would lower their price to $70 to $80 - I would stay there in the future too.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed January 16, 2013

This is a typical new-ish Holiday Inn Express and it's a very clean hotel, nicely decorated. I'm spoiled by the other stays though because I'm used to being greeted with water and a snack or something as a Priority Club member, but not this time. My room was very clean and quite comfortable. Ladies, the bathroom has a very large countertop and the best hotel lighting I've ever seen for putting on makeup! As a business traveler, I have to carve out time for a workout on the road and often choose a hotel based on whether or not it has a decent gym - this one looked great until I went down there. Two treadmills that had to be the smallest ones I've ever seen, one didn't work, the water fountain didn't work, but I figured this was fine because there was quite a large apparatus in the other half for using weights. Alas, two of the three sides were broken and not working so I was left with no workout. As the title states, the breakfast server was absolutely fantastic - super friendly, chatted with guests, offered to assist, and made sure the coffee was full. I would definitely stay here again, just take a run outside rather than have any hope of using the gym.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Concordia US 81, responded to this reviewResponded August 1, 2013

Dear Lisa H,

Krysllin G.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Also consider these accommodations in or near Concordia
Rodeway Inn
Super 8 Belleville
Super 8 Belleville
#2 of 3 in Belleville
Americas Best Value Inn Belleville

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Concordia US 81? Share your experiences!