“Not the best choice”

Holiday Inn Express Colby
Ranked #6 of 10 Hotels in Colby
Reviewed August 18, 2012

This hotel seems nice at first glance. We stayed here overnight on the drive from Denver to St. Louis because I thought it might be a bit nicer than the place we stayed going the opposite direction. I was wrong. It has been recently remodeled, so it looks very nice. I walked into the room thinking everything was nice. And then I got into the bed to find that the sheets were all pilled up and scratchy. The bed is the single most important part of a hotel stay. You can get breakfast on the road, technically even a shower on the road, but you can't sleep in your car. The whole point of stopping at a hotel is to have a good night's rest. And I could hardly sleep at all here. Besides the scratchy sheets, the a/c unit in the room was making a horrible noise all night. When I complained to the front desk in the morning at check out, she told me I should have complained the night before. I have two small children, whom I'd gotten to sleep already when I discovered the issue with the sheets. I wasn't going to call housekeeping to come in and change them and wake up the kids. She gave me a small discount, and said she'd have the manager call me. The manager never called.

The place isn't horrible, but it's not a good value. They are charging a premium (for this area) and aren't living up to it in quality.

2  Thank foxsummer
pennyjo8, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Colby, responded to this reviewResponded September 6, 2012

Thank you for your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Express, Colby, KS! I appreciate your review. I am happy to see that you liked the appearance of our recently remodeled guest rooms, but I apologize that you did not receive a good night's sleep. Please know that we do purchase new linens several times throughout the year and soft, comfortable sheets are of the upmost important to us! I do apologize that the air conditioning unit wasn't as quiet as it should be. I promise you that we will correct these problems, and I do hope that if you travel back through Colby, you will stay with us again and let us do a better job of serving you!

Reviewed August 17, 2012

Couple of observations: There is no trash can right outside the hotel doors. I'm always cleaning out the car where we stop, and there's not one single place to throw your trash. Once inside the hotel, I was still searching for a trash can and had to ask. It was around a wall in the breakfast area. Also, the entrance doors are not automatic sliding doors. So, if you have a wide load of luggage (as I did, traveling with a baby), it can be a challenge.

Once inside the hotel, the front desk didn't seem overly eager to help. As a frequent traveler for business, I am a rewards member for Holiday Inn. I stayed at this hotel one night with rewards points. The front desk clerk's comment was, "I guess we're the hotel where everyone is using their points tonight." It seemed like she was put off because I wasn't a paying customer. And that's not usually how I'm greeted as a rewards member.

On the upside, the room was extra nice and modern for a Holiday Inn Express. I was very impressed. Also, the staff in the breakfast area the next morning were very helpful and nice.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank OKTraveler77

Thank you for your recent stay at our hotel and for taking time to let us know about your recent stay. We are very happy to hear that you enjoyed our newly renovated rooms, as well as the breakfast. I do apologize that you were unable to locate the trash cans that we have located at each of our 3 exits. We appreciate each and every guest and are extremely pleased that you are a member of Priority Club. We hope that if you travel back through Colby you will stay with us again so we can show you what a valued guest you are!

Reviewed August 10, 2012

I book one night's stay for my family through Hotwire. I wanted a really nice place to stay that had a pool to work off all my 13 month old's energy after a long car ride. When we arrived we found out that the pool was under renovation (and had been for a couple of months), but that we could use another hotel's pool. We tried to get out of our renovations, or have some sort of compensation, since we paid $135 for one night. The evening desk clerk was very complacent (obviously she had heard this complaint MANY times before), and didn't seemed concerned that we felt we paid a high price for hotel room that didn't have what we were wanting most. I asked to speak to the manager, and she told me that there wouldn't be a manager in until Monday morning. I've worked in the entertaining and hospitality buisness, and have never heard of a manager not working on the customer peak times.
When we did get into our room, I was on the phone to Hotwire to try and change our reservations. Mean while, my son was crawling around on their "newly renovated" room floor. When I picked him up, the tops of his feet, and front of his legs were black! We'd been in the car from the time we picked him out of his crib that morning, so the hotel room was the only place he'd crawled all day. I went to the bathroom to start a bath for him, and found a dead bug and specks of dirt in the bath tub.
It made me sick to my stomach that I paid this much money, for a filthy room, and no pool. We don't have a lot of money, so this was supposed to be a special treat for us. I tried not to let it ruin the rest of my trip, but it definitely ruined the first couple of days for us.
I called the manager during the week. She didn't seem very emphathetic, but did say she would compensate us $25 back. A far cry from the $135 that we spent...

1  Thank Brandi S
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Colby, responded to this reviewResponded August 27, 2012

Dear Brandi S,

Thank you for taking time out of your busy day to leave us a candid review. I would like to offer a sincere apology regarding the pool renovation, cleanliness of both the room and bathroom. I understand the discomfort this caused you. I assure you the feedback of our hotel will be reviewed and most certainly forwarded to the appropriate departments. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Orlando A.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed July 13, 2012

We probably would have stayed somewhere else if we had known the pool was out of service. They had a deal with another hotel to use their pool but it was not convenient. The rest of the stay was fine with good staff and we had a nice quiet night's sleep despite the hotel being quite full.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the highway, it was very quiet on the side with the empty field.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Colby, responded to this reviewResponded August 4, 2012

Dear JoeMiner,

Thank you for staying with us on your recent visit to Colby and for taking the time to write about your recent experience at our hotel. I am delighted you enjoyed your sleep during your stay. We always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. I am so sorry to see you did not enjoy your overall experience with us because of the pool being out of service. We work very hard to ensure our facilities are superior and the best in the area. Again, I do apologize and regret that this impacted your experience at our hotel.

We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to our hotel and replace your bad experience with one that reflects our true standards.

Ferdinand G
Case

Reviewed June 30, 2012

This is just remodeled ( they may be still working on it, since the pool was unavailable at our stay).
The lobby and rooms are fresh and clean with modern furnitur, etc. The price is slightly higher than you'd expect for this quality, but still within the realm. Staff is great- helpful and friendly.Breakfast is like you'd expect from this chain- decent but not inspired or outstanding.
We've stayed a couple other places in this town and recommend the HIE over anything else we've tried.

Room Tip: Top floor king suie is good, pets are on the 1st floor
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed June 14, 2012

Typical Holiday Inn Express - I mean that as a positive.

We got exactly what we expected, clean facility, nice room, and decent breakfast.

Have stayed here before and would stay again

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 31, 2012

Hi-Express in Colby is a great place to stay. Rooms are very clean and the usual Hi-Ex standard. Breakfast Ok. The only downside to staying just off the interstate is that there are no bars or resturaunts that you can easily walk to. We did walk to one but quite a hike. Otherwise very good.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Colby
Hampton Inn Colby
Days Inn Colby
#5 of 10 in Colby
Budget Inn & Suites Colby
Sleep Inn & Suites Oakley

Been to Holiday Inn Express Colby? Share your experiences!