“Definitely Should NOT Be Rate #1 Hotel For Colby, Kansas”

Holiday Inn Express Colby
Ranked #6 of 10 Hotels in Colby
Reviewed August 10, 2012

I book one night's stay for my family through Hotwire. I wanted a really nice place to stay that had a pool to work off all my 13 month old's energy after a long car ride. When we arrived we found out that the pool was under renovation (and had been for a couple of months), but that we could use another hotel's pool. We tried to get out of our renovations, or have some sort of compensation, since we paid $135 for one night. The evening desk clerk was very complacent (obviously she had heard this complaint MANY times before), and didn't seemed concerned that we felt we paid a high price for hotel room that didn't have what we were wanting most. I asked to speak to the manager, and she told me that there wouldn't be a manager in until Monday morning. I've worked in the entertaining and hospitality buisness, and have never heard of a manager not working on the customer peak times.
When we did get into our room, I was on the phone to Hotwire to try and change our reservations. Mean while, my son was crawling around on their "newly renovated" room floor. When I picked him up, the tops of his feet, and front of his legs were black! We'd been in the car from the time we picked him out of his crib that morning, so the hotel room was the only place he'd crawled all day. I went to the bathroom to start a bath for him, and found a dead bug and specks of dirt in the bath tub.
It made me sick to my stomach that I paid this much money, for a filthy room, and no pool. We don't have a lot of money, so this was supposed to be a special treat for us. I tried not to let it ruin the rest of my trip, but it definitely ruined the first couple of days for us.
I called the manager during the week. She didn't seem very emphathetic, but did say she would compensate us $25 back. A far cry from the $135 that we spent...

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Brandi S
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Colby, responded to this reviewResponded August 27, 2012

Dear Brandi S,

Thank you for taking time out of your busy day to leave us a candid review. I would like to offer a sincere apology regarding the pool renovation, cleanliness of both the room and bathroom. I understand the discomfort this caused you. I assure you the feedback of our hotel will be reviewed and most certainly forwarded to the appropriate departments. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Orlando A.
Case Manager
IHGCare

There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Express Colby

Reviewed July 13, 2012

We probably would have stayed somewhere else if we had known the pool was out of service. They had a deal with another hotel to use their pool but it was not convenient. The rest of the stay was fine with good staff and we had a nice quiet night's sleep despite the hotel being quite full.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the highway, it was very quiet on the side with the empty field.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Colby, responded to this reviewResponded August 4, 2012

Dear JoeMiner,

Thank you for staying with us on your recent visit to Colby and for taking the time to write about your recent experience at our hotel. I am delighted you enjoyed your sleep during your stay. We always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. I am so sorry to see you did not enjoy your overall experience with us because of the pool being out of service. We work very hard to ensure our facilities are superior and the best in the area. Again, I do apologize and regret that this impacted your experience at our hotel.

We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to our hotel and replace your bad experience with one that reflects our true standards.

Ferdinand G
Case

Reviewed June 30, 2012

This is just remodeled ( they may be still working on it, since the pool was unavailable at our stay).
The lobby and rooms are fresh and clean with modern furnitur, etc. The price is slightly higher than you'd expect for this quality, but still within the realm. Staff is great- helpful and friendly.Breakfast is like you'd expect from this chain- decent but not inspired or outstanding.
We've stayed a couple other places in this town and recommend the HIE over anything else we've tried.

Room Tip: Top floor king suie is good, pets are on the 1st floor
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed June 14, 2012

Typical Holiday Inn Express - I mean that as a positive.

We got exactly what we expected, clean facility, nice room, and decent breakfast.

Have stayed here before and would stay again

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 31, 2012

Hi-Express in Colby is a great place to stay. Rooms are very clean and the usual Hi-Ex standard. Breakfast Ok. The only downside to staying just off the interstate is that there are no bars or resturaunts that you can easily walk to. We did walk to one but quite a hike. Otherwise very good.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 16, 2012

It had been 2 years since we stayed at this hotel, so I was excited when I opened the door to a beautifully redecorated room. It was clean and comfortable. The TV screen was great quality. Lots of desktop space. Comfortable reading chair with light. Something else that was AWESOME was the individual bending small but powerful light that was on each side of the headboard. I have never seen anything like these in any hotel room!! GREAT JOB!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank love2travelanywhere
Reviewed May 13, 2012

After nearly five hours on I-70, and the clock approaching 11:30, I was tired and weary. Three minutes after exiting the interstate, I opened the door to a clean, comfortable guest room. The check-in was remarkably efficient. The front desk associate had the key card ready, and with one swipe of the credit card, I was on my way. If only every check-in was this efficient.

The room appeared to be recently renovated. After having stayed at several mundane Holiday Inns, I was pleasantly startled upon entering the room. I immediately felt relaxed, as the soft lighting and cool brown walls produced a soothing vibe. There is abundant space for work and relaxation. Regarding the former, the workspace was more than sufficient, and the wireless internet connection was swift. The oversized flat-screen television included a multitude of channels, more than the vast majority of hotels.

The complimentary breakfast reminded me of two things – 1) do not be fooled by the calming feel of the rooms – this is still a Holiday Inn, and 2) you get what you pay for. When I arrived around 7:30 the spread had been reduced to a handful of items. In this case, there were a few pastries and cereal – continental fare. As a result, I opted to stop at the nearby McDonald’s before heading westbound.

Finally, the hotel welcomes pets for a very reasonable $25 fee. The surrounding area is a sea of concrete, so it is not the most pet-friendly.

If you’re looking for a restful evening, this is a sound choice. But save a few dollars for breakfast.

Pros: Soothing vibe in recently renovated guest rooms, abundant space for work and relaxation

Cons: Save a few dollars for breakfast - only a handful of options by 7:30

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Colby
Hampton Inn Colby
Days Inn Colby
#5 of 10 in Colby
Budget Inn & Suites Colby
Sleep Inn & Suites Oakley

Been to Holiday Inn Express Colby? Share your experiences!