“This Motel Has Extras”

Ranked #5 of 10 Hotels in Colby
Castle Dale, Utah
“This Motel Has Extras”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2011

We have stayed at this motel several times when we drive I-70. Our most recent stay was Labor Day Weekend, 2011.

We booked a king, non-smoking room. It was very quiet (even though on the side of the freeway), meticulously clean, and has extras in the "kitchen" area. Besides the standard motel frig and microwave, this room has a separate kitchen area complete with overhead cupboard and kitchen sink with a high faucet sufficient for space to wash vegetables and fruit. Additionally, I was very surprised and pleased to discover in the cupboard good quality disposable plates, bowls, and plastic flatware stored in a clear plastic food zip bag.

The staff is very friendly. My husband and I especially enjoy the older women (about age 70?) who provide the breakfast service. They are kind and helpful. Be sure to leave them a tip as they deserve it!

This is one of the most personable Holiday Inn Express motels of the many we use in a number of states. We always enjoy our stay here.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
pennyjo8, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Colby, responded to this review, October 12, 2011
Thank you so much for staying with us! I am happy to hear that you always enjoy your stay with us and we enjoy having you! We look forward to seeing you again in the future!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Colorado Springs
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2011

If you want to know why this hotel received one star from me, just read the e-mail that I sent the general manager after the outrageous service that I experienced:

Ms Vogler,

I must tell you that on Friday, July 22, I received the worst service I've ever experienced at your hotel. I have never been so outraged. Here is what happened...

I pulled up to the Holiday Inn Express in Colby, Kansas at around 11:30 pm with my 2 yr old daughter and most of my belongings in the car. (I was relocating from Oklahoma to Colorado.) I went into the lobby to see if there were any vacancies. Chris told me that there was only one room left -- a king suite. After I inquired about the price and any discounts I might be entitled to, I told him (and these are my EXACT words) "I'll take it, but my daughter is alone in the car.. I'm going to park and come back in." So, that is what I did. I'm sure you can understand why I wouldn't want to leave my young daughter alone in the car, at night, while I filled out registration information. I parked my car, pulled out enough things to get my daughter and I through the night, got my daughter out of the car and went back inside. When I got back in the lobby, there was another woman in front of me at the registration counter. When it was my turn to be helped, Chris said to me that he just gave that woman the room that he had already given to me. I almost couldn't believe it. Let me be clear here--I did not drive away. I went from the lobby to my car, parked, pulled out my daughter and our belongings, and walked back in. So, WHILE I AM STANDING IN THE LOBBY, your employee is checking another guest into the last room that I had already spoken for. There I am--it is almost midnight, I'm alone with an exhausted baby who has been in the car all day, I'm carrying all of our bags and your employee has the nerve to say to me "Sorry, but people say they will be back all the time. You know, they say they have to check with their husband or whatever and never come back." This is still unbelievable to me, and I'm getting angry as I compose this e-mail. As I said to Chris, and as I'm saying to you, I never said "Let me check with my husband'. I never said "Let me think about it." I never said "Let me see if I can find a cheaper room someplace else and maybe I'll come back." What I said was "I'LL TAKE IT." Please explain to me why I had to pull my daughter and my belongings out of the car, put them back in, drive to another hotel and then unpack again?

Your prompt response is expected and appreciated. Also, please provide contact information for your supervisor. I would like him/her to know the kind of treatment that people can expect at your hotel.

Room Tip: Skip it. Go to the nearby Sleep in instead. Nice rooms and also cheaper.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank LauraColoradoSprings
Austin, Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2011

Be forewarned. When you make a reservation with this place in advance YOU CANNOT CANCEL IT. Plus they charge you the minute you make the reservation...not when you check out. Who knows if it's clean or not....just adding my two cents for the experience so far.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank emerald3358
pennyjo8, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Colby, responded to this review, July 26, 2011
Thank you for allowing me to clear up this particular situation. I am sorry that there was confusion about the type of rate that you booked on-line. Guests are allowed to cancel their reservation up until 6:00 pm on the date of arrival. Reservations are charged at the time of check out on the majority of reservations made. The only time a reservation cannot be cancelled and is charged prior to arrival is when the guest books the Advance Purchase Rate which is an on-line rate available to guests. This rate must be purchased at least 2 weeks in advance of the arrival date and gives the guest a lower rate than would normally be available for that hotel. Since the rate is quite a bit lower than the Best-Flex Rate, It states in the Terms and Conditions of that rate, that the reservation is non-cancellable, non-refundable, and can be charged at any time after booking and prior to arrival. We are pleased to offer the Advance Purchase rate and it can save the guest a lot of money if their plans are definite. However, we are happy to offer other rates to our guests who think that they might need to cancel their reservations due to unforeseen circumstances. Thank you for staying at the Holiday Inn Express in Colby, KS!
Fort Scott, Kansas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2011

This was the worst Hotel I have ever stayed at. At $130 a night you would think it would at least be CLEAN! Hair in the shower, roaches crawling on the wall, bathroom counter falling apart. No available electric outlet to plug in the laptop, had to unplug the fridge and use that outlet.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank debra000
Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2011

We stopped here on our way home from Colorado (got off late and storms between here and Abilene)... rates were great (thanks for the generous military discount!) room was ok. We had a whirlpool suite and the rooms were clean and well maintained if a bit outdated, but the hotel is obviously undergoing renovations. Beds were older and hard not the standard holiday inn comfy ones of newer hotels -- assume that is part of the renovation as well? Front desk staff was pleasant and fixed a glitch in our bill quickly.

Breakfast was standard HIE fare and ample although bacon/sausage would be a nice addition. There is a pool but we got in late and didn't use.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Thank you so much for taking the time to respond regarding your stay! We are indeed starting a renovation at the end of August. New mattresses are going to be included as part of the renovation! We hope to see you again soon!
Noble, OK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2011

Nice, clean rooms with no 'hotel' smell. The staff is friendly and the complimentary breakfast is hot. We stay here often on our frequent trips to and from Colorado - never had a bad experience.

Room Tip: We like room 209.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Taichung, Taiwan
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2011

This is, bar none, the worst HIE in the United States. I don't know if it's the lack of competition in this ghost town, or what, but it was horrible. The room was disgusting, small, and out-dated. The bathroom in 119 was atrocious! MOLD! RUST! AND LEFTOVER SOAP! INEXCUSABLE! The front desk clerk was a drag. Then in the morning I watched two things: The manager and the maids. The manager kept filling up her coffee, and joking around with her staff friends...right out in front of everyone. She was the most unprofessional manager I've seen in a HIE. Her maids though, took the cake. I watched these two Hispanic gals sit in a room across from us and watch TV for a few minutes, then clean. I watched them move to the next room, and one sat down in the chair and watched the TV as the other cleaned. What a joke! Don't stay here, you will be extremely disappointed.

Room Tip: Here's your tip, try another hotel!
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank greenmonstertaiwan
pennyjo8, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Colby, responded to this review, June 1, 2011
I would like to apologize that our hotel did not meet your expectations. We strive to do our best to provide a clean comfortable room and excellent service to all of our guests. We have begun a complete remodel of the hotel and are currently remodeling the exterior of the building and will start on the interior portion of the hotel in early fall. We do appreciate all feedback, and please know that although your stay was not up to our standards, we will do everything possible to improve our hotel based on your comments.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Colby
Hampton Inn Colby
Days Inn Colby
#7 of 10 in Colby
Budget Inn & Suites Colby
Sleep Inn & Suites Oakley

Been to Holiday Inn Express Colby? Share your experiences!