The Fox Goes Free
The Goodwood Hotel(Chichester)
$157
$213
Chichester Park Hotel(Chichester)(Great Value!)
$84
$129
The Nags Head(Chichester)
$100
  • Breakfast included
Travelodge Chichester Central(Chichester)(Great Value!)
$47
Travelodge
Travelodge Arundel Fontwell(Arundel)(Great Value!)
$44
Travelodge
    The Angel Inn(Midhurst)
    $137
    $122
    Premier Inn Chichester Hotel(Chichester)(Great Value!)
    $90
    PremierInn.com
    All reviewsthe pubsouth downsgreat beerpiebeer gardensunday roastlovely gardensunny daylambmonday nightrisottoset us up for the daylovely foodfish and chipspuddingstayed here for two nightsfull english breakfast
    Reviewed January 12, 2014

What a pleasant stay in beautiful surroundings. The hotel/bar is warm & inviting. Open fireplaces adorn each room. The smell of woodsmoke and fine cooking waft around. The staff are fantastic and ensure your stay is memorable. The food is superb and great value. We will visit again and will make it our hotel of choice.

• Stayed: January 2014
    thefoxgoesfree, General Manager at The Fox Goes Free, responded to this reviewResponded January 18, 2014

Hi,

Thank you for your great feedback and delighted you enjoyed your stay with us over your birthday. Hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed January 11, 2014

Stayed here end of Dec2013 for a couple of nights and had a lovely time. Lovely rooms (especially room1 despite the lack of a nice view from the window), lively but not noisy pub (couldn't hear any noise in our room), very nice local beers, very friendly staff and great food! Must be especially nice in summer when you can enjoy the lovely garden with the views across the fields. Perfect location for nice walks through the Southdowns and for trips to Chichester (don't miss to go and see the Cathedral!).

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple

Hi,

Thank you for your kind comments. Our staff are a credit to us and I'm always pleased to read positive feedback on the service and welcome they provide.

Reviewed November 27, 2013

Clean rooms, good food, good wine, open fires and great atmosphere. We had an excellent short break here in lovely countryside. We could walk straight from the Fox Goes Free after a full English breakfast and return to an even better evening meal. Everyone was so welcoming and helpful - nothing was too much trouble. Looking forward to returning before too long!!

Room Tip: An outside room is very convenient if you have very muddy boots after a walk.
    • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple

Hi,

Thank you for your lovely review. The ground floor rooms outside are excellent for walkers and guests staying who want the convenience of being separate from the main building. We hope to see you back again very soon.

Reviewed November 20, 2013

Stayed here in early October Lovely big room and ensuite although a bit noisy being above the kitchen. This was made up by the friendly staff which could not do enough for us, great open fireplace, the atmosphere was every thing we had wished for. We had a evening meal which was excellent and breakfast was just as good.

Room Tip: If you choose the double room inside be prepared for a little noise but still worth it.
    • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

Hi,

Thank you for your positive feedback and review. We are delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and hope to see you again very soon.

Reviewed November 1, 2013

I don't usually write reviews on trip advisor but I really feel I have to write about this hotel.
    I booked and paid for a room via Expedia for the weekend of the Goodwood Festival of Speed. Expedia confirmed my booking and shortly afterwards I received a very lovely email from the Fox Goes Free confirming my booking. It sounded like a really lovely place to stay and the staff also sounded very welcoming. I was quite looking forward to my first weekend at Goodwood.
    Then came the email that said they had got their dates wrong and were already fully booked. Besides, rooms over Goodwood weekend were more expensive anyway. Could I please cancel my booking. I replied to say I was aware it was Goodwood weekend, why weren't they and all the rooms in the area were booked. To date, they have not bothered to reply. Although I did get a phone call asking me to cancel the booking.
    Sadly, the law allows this sort of thing to happen. Ruining a weekend break is one thing (I'm not going to Goodwood now), but to not even try to make amends or empathise with my situation, is shocking customer service.
    So my warning to potential guests is, it might be best not to book a room between mid June and Mid July because Goodwood dates move and to be on the safe side, I would also not book between mid August and Mid September just in case the Goodwood Revival dates move. I've never been to Goodwood Revival, so I don't know if the dates move every year or not. I do know the hotel is fully booked for Goodwood Festival every year and they will cancel your booking, leaving you high and dry.
    On the positive side of things, if you book any other time of the year, they seem quite nice and friendly.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
    4  Thank Rememberyoureawomble
    thefoxgoesfree, General Manager at The Fox Goes Free, responded to this reviewResponded November 6, 2013

Hi,

Thank you for taking the time with writing to us on this important issue. We can only apologise for this misunderstanding with regard to your booking with us. This has been an embarrassment to us and it is a very difficult job of balancing between potential dates for major festivals and returning guests booking year on year. You may have read on a previous review, you are unfortunately not alone with this problem and it has been an issue. We will be reviewing our online booking system with this in mind which will stop this from occurring. What we cannot do is control any changes of dates that come from the major Goodwood festivals. These have been known to change in the past and hope this doesn’t happen again for obvious reasons.