“Perfect”

Ranked #2 of 2 Restaurants in Riseley
Cuisines: British
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: A friendly and welcoming pub with a focus on good old fashioned hospitality. With a good selection of traditional home cooked pub food and a Seasonal menu, all freshly made to order. We open all day from 12pm and serve food up to 9pm ( 4.00pm Sunday ) WE welcome families and have a large gated garden area at the rear of the pub, along with ample parking.
Reviewed June 21, 2013

A first date scenario, which went well with a nice table position, warm helpful staff, and a no rush policy, which was ideal. I had a liver and bacon and my date had the goats cheese salad, both meals were excellent. I would definitely return, which is the highest recommendation that I can give,

AJ2155, Owner at The Bull at Riseley, responded to this reviewResponded June 27, 2013

Glad to hear the date went well and that you enjoyed your evening with us.
Hopefully we will be able to welcome you both back in the near future
Kind regards to you both Amanda

Reviewed June 16, 2013

We were off to Reading and thinking about our normal pub lunch when a quick referral to tripadvisor said that the Bull at Riseley was worth visiting. Do not be put off by the outside it is spotless inside with great real ales from a brewery not often seen in Berkshire (Faversham's Shepherd Neame) - the Spitfire was first class and fantastic food. We arrived at about 14.00 and asked if they were still serving which they were. Drinks were brought to the table and the order taken, (no leaving credit cards behind bars - a nice touch) I ordered my staple Fish & Chips and Ana had the Zesty Chicken. Both were fantastic with great big chips and really succulent fish, home made tartare sauce and mushy peas. The Zesty Chicken came with Chips, a large field mushroom, a really good sauce of onion, herbs and tomato, salad, cooked baby tomato's and got a real thumbs up from my wife and we finished with two after dinner mints (thoughtful). Very good staff in a real find of a pub / restaurant. Well done trip advisor for publicising the venue as we would never had such a great meal without your help.

PS - A group of 4 people arrived after us and the landlady was really good in that the kitchen was about to close but took the order and the kitchen team stayed on to deliver four really appetising meals (the burger was about a foot high). Shows a real commitment to customer service.

AJ2155, Owner at The Bull at Riseley, responded to this reviewResponded June 17, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write such a positive review. It was good to hear that you enjoyed your fish and chips and that Ana enjoyed her zesty chicken.
Hopefully the people who came in after you enjoyed their meals as much as you both did.
It was a pleasure to serve you and hopefully I will have another chance in the future should you be in the area

Reviewed June 14, 2013

Exceptional service, wonderful food at reasonable prices. The starters in particular were very tasty. Would definitely visit again.

Thank you for writing your positive review. I'm glad you enjoyed your visit and look forward to seeing you again the future

Reviewed June 8, 2013

There are a lot of Bulls in our area and we used to use this pub in the long-gone days of CB Radio as a meeting point and HQ.

I have just returned from the Isle of Man and decided to go out for lunch with my wife who I hadn't seen while I was away so I wanted a nice pub/restaurant so we chose the BULL......

It was a red hot day so we decided to sit outside but in the shade. We ordered our drinks and meals and the service was very quick. Carole had the bacon and brie baguette with french fries plus a glass of medoc...I decided on an omelette with extra mushrooms and tomatoes, french fries and a pint of Spitfire !! --

The food was superb and we thoroughly enjoyed the large portions that we received. In all it was good value and we will return. They are not open on a Monday..

AJ2155, Owner at The Bull at Riseley, responded to this reviewResponded June 11, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.
I'm glad to hear that you and your wife Carole enjoyed your lunch.
We look forward to welcoming you back again in the future

Reviewed May 18, 2013

Sometimes what you need is a decent pub selling decent food, not a 'gastro pub' where, in reality, portion control is king, and The Bull way exceeded our expectations last Friday. We had seen the good reviews and my son and I dropped in and knew straight away we'd made a good choice. I enquired at the bar about ordering food and was told would we mind a 15 min wait as they were busy and were told to make ourselves comfortable with a drink and they'd be with us asap, we appreciated their honesty rather than sat stewing at the table wondering when we were going to be served. We chose burgers and they really were the best I've had, obviously homemade fresh and huge (my son 'complained' he still felt full the morning after!) Other diners meals looked equally good. Landlady and staff were the perfect balance of being friendly but not overbearing. So, in summary...Great food, service, value and friendly pub atmosphere.....a great package you've got there Mr & Mrs Landlord!

AJ2155, Owner at The Bull at Riseley, responded to this reviewResponded May 19, 2013

Thank you for your positive review, It was good to hear your enjoyed your burgers. We appreciate that you understood and didn't mind when we explained about the delay for food, we feel it is best to be honest and allow people to make a choice on whether they wish to wait to be served or to go somewhere else rather than mislead them
Good to hear that you found us friendly and look forward to seeing you again
Thank you again for taking the time to share your experience with others
Kind regards Mr and Mrs landlord aka Chris and Amanda