“Cannot fault the food or service”
Review of The Royal Oak

The Royal Oak
Reserve with OpenTable
The Royal Oak is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 1 Restaurants in Kinnersley
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed July 10, 2013

My husband and I visited The Royal Oak for a late Sunday lunch which in the Cotswolds for 4 days. We booked the restaurant was has recently been refurbed. On arrival we were taken straight to our table and orders taken.
We ordered mussels and goats cheese for starts followed by salmon and chicken. Presentation of food was excellent as was the quality of the food - probably one of the best pub meals we have had in some time. Our waitress was very helpful and efficient and as it was 30 degrees and pretty warm in the restaurant, she constantly topped up our jug of iced water.
I would have no hesitation in recommending the restaurant of this pub - and we will definitely be visiting again when next in the area.
There is parking in front of the pub and seating outside.

3  Thank LAD63

Reviewed July 4, 2013

Pub seems to be a popular place for locals to drink but it's food quality is very poor. Menu is basic pub standards, ham & chips, burger & chips, everything with chips and has poor quality ingredients. They ought to try to offer more home made items and pay more for better quality bought in items.

sarah a, Owner at The Royal Oak, responded to this reviewResponded July 5, 2013

I am disappointed that you did not like the food but when did you come. The menu you are talking about seems to be the bar menu there are also 2 other menus that are available. All items on the menu are home made and cooked fresh we have daily deliveries and use nothing frozen.

Reviewed June 30, 2013

We had a great lunch, the pub is lovely and has been done up to perfection especially the dining room. Staff so helpful and friendly and food can't fault it. I had mussels and partner goats cheese both excellent. Partner had roast beef which he could not fault I had plaice with potatoes and veg which was lovely plentiful and freshly cooked. This was a groupon and one of the best we had had. Would thoroughly recommend this to anyone lovely country pub well worth a visit.

Reviewed June 28, 2013

Visited with a groupon voucher like many others by the sound of it.
Started with the Bathams in the bar, which I questioned with the bar maid if it was the first pint out that day. Usually this is exceptional ale if well kept. Didn't go a bundle on the amount of hounds in the bar, but in fairness they do advertise as a dog freindly pub.
Quality of main courses was very good, though the plates looking very bare, with only my steak having any quantity of carbohydrates,(very nice chips which the other three looked longingly at) and no veg other than a tiny amount of red cabbage served with the lamb.I see they now have veg as an extra which I would hope overcomes this problem.
Puddings were varied, with the two sticky toffee puddings very bland, tasting like a water based packet mix. Sorry to the chef if I'm wrong!
Overall, with the groupon voucher, it was a very good value meal. However, if I was paying full price for the whole meal, then I probably would't be recommending, or returning.
Shame not to be able to praise more, as I like to have good quality eating places close to home.

Reviewed June 21, 2013

In the past we had nothing but praise for this pub and visited frequently, even spending Christmas lunch there one year but then the pub changed hands and we were advised by friends not to bother going. We then heard it had changed hands yet again and as we had a Groupon voucher four of us booked a table for 6.45pm on a Thursday evening. Our husbands were pleased to see that Bathams was served and indeed the wine menu was very reasonably priced. The staff were extremely friendly and the décor much improved however the food was very disappointing. The starters were very good however three of us had rump steak, two of which were so tough they were almost inedible. We didn’t complain but did mention the fact when the waitress collected our plates but felt as we hadn’t paid the full amount we could hardly take the matter further. On the whole we were disappointed with our visit and were extremely pleased we hadn’t paid the full price.

1  Thank Pauline S