“Fantastic experience- much harde than you anticipate”
Review of Lost City

More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Useful Information: Food available for purchase
Reviewed October 6, 2013

Our trek was wonderful! We had 16 people from all the tour companies combined. I guess they all recently merged to work together. We booked through Expotour as we liked their e-mail response to our inquiry the best. It was well written and thorough. The guides and cook we're fantastic. We had Omar, Jesus Alberto, and Paula. It wasn't an issue that we spoke very little Spanish, and the guides spoke almost no English. There were plenty of people of the trek that spoke both and translated for several of us. The food was great, and plentiful. Made friends with folks from 6 different countries on our 5 day trek. Would definitely recommend the 5 day option. The trek is grueling enough as it is. Doing it in 4 days would have been even harder. It is beautiful, and fun. A really neat experience to live among, meet, and learn about the indigenous tribes that live in the area. One does need to be prepared that this will be one of the hardest treks you may ever do. We all came back with lots of "war wounds"- blisters, bruises, scratches, rashes, and mosquito bites. The trail is hard! Uphill or downhill 90% of the time, through rocks, mud, streams, rivers, and jungle. Your muscles and knees will take a beating. Having said that, it was an amazing experience that will push you to your limits physically and mentally- and you will be very proud of yourself at the end!

2  Thank Janet W
There are newer reviews for Lost City

Reviewed September 29, 2013

On this trip we were a small group of 9 people, our tour guide was Edwin and our cook was William. The first ten minutes were supreme, then reality kicks in of what I really got myself into. This hike is very challenging and I could not keep up with my group at their pace, luckily they have a system. My angel on this trip was William, he stays behind with the slower hikers while Edwin keeps up with the rest. Even though it was a tough hike it wasn't impossible, and if you ever run into any trouble within minutes a mule will come to come to your rescue. Edwin was very informative and made this a very interesting experience while William kept your tummy happy. My best advice is.....don't over pack your bag. Its not worth it! And make sure you have extra camera batteries, the views every second of my five day trip were stunning. Thanks to Edwin and William for doing an amazing job, and please remember to tip them at the end of your trip. They deserve it and work really hard to make your experience memorable. I truly had the best time of my life, we laughed so hard everyday and learned a lot on this trip.

1  Thank marivelmae
Reviewed August 31, 2013

One of the most interesting and rewarding treks I have ever done (and I ahve trekked on 4 continents). Often reality can be disappointing and doesn't correspond to the image in one's mind about a place. Here, the reality exceeded my imagination. The scenery is breathtaking, meeting the Kogui Indians was fascinating and the Ciudad Perdida itself is extraordinary, mystical and moving. The fact that the Kogui have built ceremonial huts on the site using similar architectural styles to 600 years ago shows the high level of continuiyt between the present day and an archaeological site which I ahve never seen before. Ours was a small group (6 people) and we were the only tourists on the site, and this certainly added to my appreciation of the Ciudad Perdida.

I booked though Magic Tours in Taganga and found their guide (Magali) was superb. She was from the mountains herself and was extremeny attentive to our group's needs. The food was excellent and the accommodation was comfortable enough given the isolation. However, I preferred to sleep in hammocks rather than beds as the latter did smell of their previous occupants (musty, sweaty, stale). I also recommend ear plugs as there will certainly be snorers!

It was a tough walk. I am not young (63 years old) and am a very expereinced walker but I found the first day in extreme heat with no shade and walkign up steep slopes very demanding. However there was another 60 year old in the group who had no trouble coping with the trek and so it all depends on individual fitness rather than age!

If you are in the Santa Marta area and are reasonably fit then this trek is an absolute must.

1  Thank phalarope55
Reviewed June 23, 2013

great trek, fantastic tour but had my phone stolen from my bag on the way home (it was put ontop of the car along with everyone else{s) such a shame as otherwise the company was good.
so KEEP VALUBLES ON YOUR PERSON when travelling to and from the jungle

4  Thank Katharine E
Reviewed April 22, 2013

We booked with Expotur and were matched with a small group of another tour cie. Everything went pretty well. We were given good explanation before booking by David, the truck was there to bring us up to Machete, we were well fed, slept in well run camps, Wilson our guide was speaking a good basic english and was pleasant... the site of la Ciudad is not to missed!!

Overall the trek is simply not to be missed!

Martin