“Nice Rooms but Norman Bates at the Front Desk”

Super 8 Bonner Springs
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Bonner Springs
Boulder
“Nice Rooms but Norman Bates at the Front Desk”
Reviewed January 15, 2009

It is a nice new hotel. The rooms are large and clean.The pool area looked nice all though it was closed. Breakfast was average.But the creep factor of the guy at the front desk was unnerving. I was not the only one to notice it, there were 5 in our group, men and women and we all felt it. He watched your every move. When you were bringing in your luggage, when you went out or to the vending machines.Not friendly at all on check in and he was still there in the morning and he would walk right up behind you while you were making your breakfast to wipe off the counters and I swear he was talking to himself.I expected to see him in a wig and a dress sitting in a rocking chair in one of the windows as we drove away.

• Liked — Clean
  • Disliked — Front Desk Clerk
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
iowa
Reviewed August 15, 2008

While sitting in the pool area with my daughter and granddaughter we spotted a 4 inch diameter black hairy spider, standing 1 1/2 tall. We emediately informed the front desk. They told us they would send someone emediately. After 1/2 hour no one came, so my husband killed it using a trash can. The staff never did come. I still have nightmares!

Stayed July 2008

Travelers are raving about these Bonner Springs hotels

Houston, TX
Reviewed July 16, 2008

My husband and I recently stayed here to be close to McLouth, KS, the Legends, and Kansas City. I chose the hotel based on reviews and the newness of the hotel in addition to its location. The location worked out nicely for all of our destinations. I thought it would be across the street from the Legends, but it was still not too far away. I think it was just an exit away down the freeway. It was also convenient to visit family and a night out at the Power and Light District in Kansas City.
As for the hotel itself, it did seem new. There wasn't a lot of parking out front, but there were always places around the back. The room was clean and painted nicely. Really my only complaint was noise from the room above. There were a lot of families with children staying there for basketball tournaments. They weren't the quietest walking up and down the halls or in the room above us. Breakfast was just okay except the waffles were good. There was dry cereal, bagels, toast, and muffins. I enjoyed the hot chocolate. There was a machine to make your own waffle. My first morning the line was too long. I made one the next morning and enjoyed it.
Overall, my stay was pretty good and would probably stay there again.

• Liked — The location and painted rooms
  • Disliked — The noise from above and in the halls
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
kansas
Reviewed May 2, 2008

Everything about this motel was excellent, extremely clean, friendly, nice pool area and breakfast area was very well kept. I would definately stay here again. Thank you !!

• Liked — Friendly and very clean motel.
  • Disliked — nothing !!
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
Durham
Reviewed February 14, 2008

We stayed here because they take pets, so my expectations were a little low. However, our room is quite nice with a fresh looking decor and a stylish flat screen tv. We stayed at a much more expensive hotel last night, and this room is much nicer, with a good wireless network, fridge, coffee maker, etc. A good value; I would definitely stay here again.

• Liked — great value; free wireless; nice decor
  • Disliked — there was some noise from the highway
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
Kansas
Reviewed November 1, 2007

This is HANDS DOWN, the WORST place to ever stay!. We were in town for one night. Our sheets and bathroom were dirty, and there was not much of a breakfast the next morning. They could not keep up with the demand (which wasn't much demand) We had packed only for one night and my daughter had packed 2 pair of shoes. She changed shoes in the hotel room and we forgot to grab her shoes which were in plain sight before we left. We went to one other place and scrambled back to the hotel room to fetch them up. Surprisingly they were gone!!! The help had taken them and the manager was completely non compliant. I expected more honesty from such a place and for the price we paid! The manager never called me back as promised and it took me 4 days to get a hold of her. By then she searched the room herself which of course did no good. The employees here are not to be trusted. It is obvious these people are hesitant in doing the right thing and I will never stay at ANY other Holiday Inn Express for as long as I live! Stealing is not what I expected from workers in the hospitality business. It is obvious they are not paid enough to do the jobs they are expected to do.

• Liked — It was out of the city
  • Disliked — Pretty much everything else
  • Stayed October 2007
1 Thank The_Missus_7
Gig Harbor, WA
Reviewed October 22, 2007

This hotel was chosen for its 1 ½ mile proximity to the KC renaissance faire, which my daughter, sister in law and I attended on October 7th.

I booked the room using the Super 8 website and got a great web deal that included additional $ off for the 55 & older rate.

We flew into MCI from Seattle, did not arrive at the hotel until a little after 9 PM and had no problem with the reservations.

The desk clerk was very snippy when we asked questions about the renaissance faire and said he knew nothing about it.

The desk staff the next morning was a breath of fresh air compared to Mr Grumpy the night before. They were very helpful and we were even able to buy discounted tickets for the renaissance faire at the hotel.

The hotel is a little over a year old so everything is still fairly new and very clean.
The room was standard size with two queen beds, table & 2 chairs, large bath/toilet and an extra plus for three girls, another vanity with separate sink outside the bathroom.

The complimentary breakfast is typical for this style hotel. Cold cereal, microwave oatmeal, boxed donuts & bagels, waffle station.

I’d stay here again if I needed a room in the area.

• Liked — clean, location
  • Disliked — rude night desk clerk
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled with family
Residence Inn Kansas City at The Legends
Chateau Avalon Hotel & Spa
Chateau Avalon Hotel & Spa
#9 of 21 in Kansas City

Been to Super 8 Bonner Springs? Share your experiences!