“Awesome service and laid back atmosphere.”

Papa Bob's Bar-B-Que
Cuisines: Barbecue
Reviewed September 23, 2012

A group of us were on a business trip in the area and one of them had seen this place on Man vs. Food with their ultimate destroyer 6 lb sandwich so we decided to check it out. Having a food "attraction" dosen't neccessarily equate to GREAT BBQ. Although none of us raved about the food we had, the experience was wonderful and we may have been there on an off day. Talking to Judy and "Papa Bob" was a great time and listening to the story of how he came up with the destroyer was interesting. He even suggested we order it and share it amongst the group which may be a good idea if you go as a group but not good to try alone as you have to sign a waiver to try it (ask to read it it's entertaining)

There are newer reviews for Papa Bob's Bar-B-Que

Reviewed July 17, 2012

I was visiting from Eastern Carolina and my son suggested that I try Kansas BBQ. It was quite a pleasant surprise. The food was outstanding and only topped by the excellent service. Their horseradish pickets are a must try. My son and I shared a combination dinner and we both had plenty to eat. Only thing missing was corn bread.

Reviewed April 30, 2012

A long way from Southern California. After walking in in flip flops, shorts, and Hawaiian shirts we realized we were over dressed. I ordered the Destroyer, with hot links, pulled pork, and brisket. Outstanding. They offer an Ultimate Destroyer that is 6 lbs. and free if you can eat it in a certain amount of time. I saw a picture of one and figured I could finish it in about a week. The regular Destroyer with a couple of sides just about put me into a food coma. It wasn't just quantity, the food was very good. Everybody in the place was pleasant.

Reviewed April 30, 2012

There was a day, now passing into legend, when roadhouses populated the highways, feeding hungry travelers good food at fair prices. Each place served the standard items, but often with a regional or homemade twist. I don't know whether Papa Bob's was conceived with that idea, but its place on a well-traveled secondary road, its genuine personality, and food prepared with creativity and care make it seem that way.

No fancy restaurant-consultant decor here. Papa Bob's is small, and divey in a charming way. The smell of sweet smoke is in the air. The staff is friendly, and on our visits, seemed glad to see us. Both Bob himself and his wife Judy are on site, happy to chat and answer questions, and relate some history, all with good humor. They seem to take real pride and pleasure in their customers' satisfaction.

It's worth taking some time with the menu. All the usual Kansas City barbecue is there, but also creative additions, some of which I have never seen elsewhere. Smoked corned beef? Come on. Turns out Bob actually brines his own briskets and then smokes them. Brilliant, and, as far as I know, unique. A shredded smoked turkey leg? How awesome? A smoked burger? Why hasn't anyone else thought of that? This is clearly a man who has given serious consideration as to what might go into a smoker. All the fare is up to the high standards of Kansas City barbecue. Burnt ends were extra smoky and special.

Bob has become at least somewhat famous for combining those standards in his own way. You would think that the "ultimate destroyer," a ridiculous behemoth with six pounds of meat, would be just a stunt until you see the board with photos of scores of eaters, evidently suffering from delusions of grandeur, who tried to eat it unaided. Really? This thing would feed a village. The "destroyer" is a huge sandwich, regal barbecue filling a plate, that two rational people could make a meal.

Side dishes are not the forte. Stuff out of the deep fryer is fine but unremarkable. Cole slaw is mediocre. Beans, which are touched by the smoker, are very good.

No review of Papa Bob's could be complete without a mention of sauce, which is another outlet for creativity. He has a whole line of sauces of various intensity, using various peppers. We tried them all: every one is excellent. Real attention is given to the flavor of the sauce, not merely the heat, which arrives in the hotter sauces on the back end. I loved the Habenero, normally a very hot pepper, which gets your attention but does not burn.

Is this the best barbecue in metro Kansas City? I don't know. I do know that this is a place with real personality, with excellent food, prepared and served by real people who care. Why would you miss that?

1  Thank ajgkcmo
Reviewed April 23, 2012

We stopped here after a race. We were greeted by a very friendly staff. The restaurant is set up like a diner with plenty of tables and booths. When we first got there it was quiet then Quickly filled up. But I can see why, the food is good and you get a good size portion of meat, well we did on the sandwiches we ordered. The beans are yummy and a must have! We all said if we are in the area again we would go back.