Burbayar Lodge
$100
$80
$69
  • Restaurant
Mykonos Hotel & Convention Center(Santiago de Veraguas)
$100
Hotel Gran David(Santiago de Veraguas)
$95
$92
La Hacienda(Santiago de Veraguas)
$75
$211
Bookit.com
  • Pool
$172
See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed February 19, 2010

I'd like to add to the good reviews of Burbayar. We loved it there. The food was simple but delicious & there was plenty of it. The cabins were comfortable and well appointed for a remote lodge with no hot water & electricity for only an hour or two each evening - note: take a flashlight. Our cabin had a private bath & I believe they all do. We left the windows open (there are no screens) and the only bug problem we had were moths attracted by the lights in the evening. The lodge grounds are well kept.

Our driver was arranged by the lodge. He picked us up in Panama City and stopped at the last town on the highway so we could pick up some beer (which they kept cold in the fridge for us), some wine and anything else we needed. There is no bar service at the lodge and the town & store are pretty distant so make sure you have everything you need or want. The lodge info said there was a limit to how much luggage we could bring so we arranged with our Panama City B&B for storage of the things we would not need.

Michael was the onsite guide while we were there and he did a great job. He's quite a good birding guide. He also doubled as our 'host' at the lodge - making sure were had everything we needed & were comfortable, answering questions, etc.. He made our stay most enjoyable.

The trails are rough and quite steep in places, so you need to be in reasonably good physical condition. They are also very, very muddy and thus slippery (at least they were while we were there & this is rain forest). The lodge provides wellies which were essential. They also had walking sticks.

If this type of accomodation and adventure is your style, I don't think you will be disappointed with a stay at Burbayar.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank CINTraveler
Reviewed April 1, 2009

My partner and I visited Burbayar Lodge to do some birding last week. We were very impressed with the facility. While there I had a very unfortunate accident. More on that later in the review.

The area around the lodge is spectacular and, to put it tritely, a real paradise for birding. Its very interesting habitat and the birds were very cooperative. The food was excellent and the guides are knowledgeable and very friendly. Michael speaks excellent English and is a lot of fun to be around! The cabanas are primitive, with no hot water nor electricity, but they are very comfortable. We didn't miss air conditioning at all. There were no biting insects at all. We were very pleased.

On our second full day at the lodge I had a bad fall and broke my ankle in two places. I was walking on flat ground, stepped on a stick that rolled. I planted my left foot to try and stop myself from falling. Unfortunately I continued to fall and snapped my ankle! Ironically I had hiked a fairly difficult trail the day before with no problems. This accident in no way reflects on negligence by the lodge.

Inaki, the lodge owner was a real jewel! He rushed us to the best hospital in Panama City. He arranged lodging for us in the city and stayed with us through out the ordeal at the hospital, The doctor at the hospital wanted to operate immediately. Inaki had his secretery take the xrays across town to another orthopedic surgeon, who told us we could wait and have it done in the states. He took us to the hotel, where we stayed for 3 days, waiting to fly back home. He arranged transportation back to the airport. There were other things he helped with, also. He is an incredibly kind person!

I can not wait to go back to Burbayar to do more birding! I have downloaded several pictures that I took on the lodge grounds.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
5  Thank sngcanary
Reviewed March 27, 2009

This serene spot is perfect for anyone who loves to be in nature. Even if you're not a hard-core birder, as most of the guests are, the immensely knowledgable, professionally trained guides (included in the rates) will take you on easy walks or demanding hikes (your choice) , to see monkeys, sloths, frogs, snakes, fungi, plants. Can even go out at night to find nocturnal creatures. Two days is barely sufficient to see the main trails.
Hummingbirds dart around the porch all day. No mosquitoes ! Cool at night.
There's no electricity (except via generator for a few hours in the evening ). The rustic cabins have toilets and cold showers. The meals were homestyle and healthy -- chicken stew, fish fillets, rice 'n beans, fresh fruit. Delightful local family provides superb and friendly service.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank Spadina2
Reviewed June 28, 2008

We went to Burbayar for the second time. Last year we only went for 1 night but that was not enough to see al beauty around this place.
The owner picks you up at the airport (or another meeting point) and brings you in 4x4 to Burbayar Lodge. The ride is almost 2 hours from Tocumen airport.
The lodge is all made of wood (Kuna-style), as are the cabins.
Burbayar is surrounded only by tropical forest and you have a nice view over this forest. You can see there many birds (especially hummingbirds are numberous around the house), frogs, reptiles, butterflies, ...
You should really see the waterfall. It's about a 2 hour walk, but think about it : if you go for a hike in the forest, make sure your condition is good !!
Meals, cabin, bathroom are excellent.
If the prices make you doubt, think about it that "everything" is included. Pick up Panama-City, drop off Panama-City, meals, drinks, guide, ...

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank pumilio
Reviewed March 12, 2008

I have recently returned from Panama where I began my trip at Burbayar Lodge. I found the staff very friendly and helpful. Although I was intensely birding, my husband was not. Burbayar has something for both of us. My guide Jose was exceptional. The trails were extensive and productive. You could easily spend 4 nights there and find the time flying. A great beginning in peaceful, lush surroundings. I loved it and have no reservations recommending the experience.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple