“Memorable”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in NamibRand Nature Reserve
Wolwedans Dune Camp
Vancouver
“Memorable”
Reviewed October 18, 2011

We spent a couple of nights at the Dune Camp in mid-August right after staying at the Sossus Dune lodge in Sossusvlei.
We loved the Sossus Dune lodge, so the expectations were quite high for the Dune Camp. And frankly, I have been waiting for a few years to stay there.

First of all, the drive from Sossusvlei to the NamibRand reserve was one of my favorites. It was just stunning. We hadn't been to Etosha yet so seeing springboks, ostriches, oryx and zebras with beautiful backgrounds was awesome and exciting.

We arrived a little late but still on time to join other guests for lunch. The food was really good.
It was difficult not to let go and start relaxing at the camp. It was so peaceful with gorgeous surroundings.
We were taken to our tent and it was even better than what we had imagined.
The camp is obviously very expensive. I would even say overpriced but with only 6 tents and so few people around, you're getting intimacy and privacy.

We just loved everything about the camp and it will rank really high on our list of best places we have ever been to.
We had a couple of incredible sundowners and one half day tour. We enjoyed it all.
We took a half-day excursion since we had decided to go on a flight over Sossuvlei and the coast. (it came up around 500$ per couple).
Words could not describe how beautiful it was up there. I would recommend it.

In conclusion, we had a great time at the Dune Camp. The only problem was to stay there at the beginning of the trip and set very high standards that were never met by any other lodges.
If we ever go back to Namibia, we may try the Dune lodge next time.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank bcgraph

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Hamburg
Reviewed October 17, 2011

Outstanding of this place are two things:
The surrounding landscape and the service and attention of the tour guides.
Negative is the extreme shortage of staff and the lack ofproper organization/managment in housekeeping and service.
In the evening dinner is served rather late (20:00 h) and - due to the lack of staff - it takes quite some time when fully booked. Changes to this are reluctantly accepted.Unfortunately the restaurant tent was kept open and the evening cold and the wind made the stay unpleasant.
Communication btween lodge and base camp are ineffcient. Messages to our pilot were not communicated.
Tour organization was not too godd and we had to wait for more than 90 minutes to get started. They tried to put us for a halftour drive(with picnic as final of the tour) together with Americans on a full day drive which included picnic but was scheduled much longer.
At the end the rearranged it for us and we had an excellent guide for the halfday and lunch at the lodge.
Wolwedans is promoting themselves the image of a lodge near to perfect and thus expectations are high. They do not fulfill this image at all, only the landscape an the guides are fully up to expectations, and are thus overpriced considering quality and service.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank WAV
Nottingham
Reviewed May 16, 2011

No need for alarm clocks the light streaming in to your room overlooking the namib is enough.
Lovely welcome. Great food and actually good value considering what is incluced. Lovely communal dining atmosphere.
An apres lunch and pre sundowner siesta in a hammock is higly recommend!
Very attentive guides and staff.
The flask of hot water in the morning was a nice touch.
Our nicest accomodation in namibia
Lots of places in Namibia seem to boast of their eco friendliness, I think Wolwedans truly lives up to its green credentials

Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank two_boots
Genk, Belgium
Reviewed December 14, 2010

Wolwedans is truely an amazing place. We stayed 2 nights at the Dune Camp and 1 more night ar the Dune Lodge. The 6 tents of the Dune Camp are brand new. The food served at the cosy restaurant was superb! We just enjoyed every second of our stay and when we return to Namibia (we will!), we will certainly stay again at Wolwedans at the Dune Camp. It was the most amazing accommodation of our 3 week holiday through Namibia, Botswana and Zimbabwe. Thanks again to the great staff!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank ASLTravel
Hoorn, The Netherlands
Reviewed December 20, 2009

It was hot when we visited Wolwedans last November. It was our third visit to the Namib Rand, and that area is so incredibile beautiful…. Big skies and what a space.
This was our first visit to Wolwedans, the place being on our wishlist for several years. We stayed with a couple of good friends at the Wolwedans Private Camp.
It is a beautiful camp in the plains with a great view. Two romantic bedrooms and a spacious living area with a big open plan kitchen in the middle.
The day we arrived we had visited Sossusvlei in the morning so we wanted to have an nice afternoon nap. But the place was hot, hot, hot.
In private camp there is no breeze, no splash pool, no outdoor shower….. we were boiling…. Late afternoon the breeze started and luckily the nights were much cooler.
The views are great and I can imagine that a lot of people will be caught by the magic of this place. For me, I don’t know if it was the heat, but this time no breathtaking moments during our stay, however seeing the sunrise in bed in front of you was a special moment.
Learning from our experience, next day we asked the staff where we could cool down during the day. We were dropped at Dunes Lodge; the only accommodation with a pool. We had a lovely day and learned that a lot of other Private Camp guests want to be dropped at Dunes Lodge to spent the day.
So if considering visiting Wolwedans, we recommend you stay at Dunes Lodge, on a beautiful location at a top of the dune, catching breezes (cooler) during the day at that location and having a most wonderful downhill view.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank amigo42
London, UK
Reviewed October 20, 2009

We stayed at the Dunes Camp for 2 nights in September and it was the highlight of our trip to Namibia. Set on a private reserve it was a magical experience where you do feel very close to nature. We left our tent open at night and were woken each morning by incredible views and the sun rising over the mountains. The staff were lovely and couldn't have been more attentive and the food was exceptional. Better than I have tasted in a lot on London restaurants.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Tubs
Köln
Reviewed June 25, 2008

Wolwedans fulfilled all my expectations. It was the higlight of our Namibia tour in 2004. Unfortunately we spent only 2 nights there, had we known before how exceptional the place is, we would have stayed longer, even though it's not exactly cheap. Friends who had been there before told us to stay at the camp to get the "real desert feeling". It was a good advice.
After we were shown to our tent (very nice on a wooden terrace overlooking the desert) we were introduced to the friendly staff and had a delicious diner. There I was told to leave the tent open during the night so I could watch the wonderful night sky. Even though I was a little nervous about reptiles and insects I followed the advice and so I fell asleep while watching the stars above me. I think I never slept so well! When I got up the next morning there was a tray with hot water for tea and coffee waiting for me and so I sat outside and watched the sunrise. The day we spent with our guide (I'm sorry I forgot his name) who told us everything we wanted to know and took us to the most beautiful spots in the area. Especially the place where we had our sundowner with its spectacular view I will never forget.
As I already mentioned the place is pretty expensive but since you have no extra costs and everything is included I found that it is worth it.

• Liked — Everything!
  • Disliked — Nothing!
  • Stayed October 2004, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank alida01
#3 of 8 in Sesriem
Soft Adventure Camp
Soft Adventure Camp
#11 of 12 in Sossusvlei

Been to Wolwedans Dune Camp? Share your experiences!