“Pleasant stay in tranquil location”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Dedza
Dedza Pottery Lodge
Ranked #1 of 1 Dedza B&B and Inns
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Pleasant stay in tranquil location”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2013 via mobile

Just back from a two week work trip in Malawi and spent one night at the pottery lodge. Compared to other places I stayed along the way the pottery lodge is nice and clean but was very quiet,perhaps too quiet if you are on your own. No Internet meant it wasn't great for a work trip but I only stayed one night so it wasn't a major issue. The rooms were clean, beds comfy and staff all very pleasant. The food was nice and came really quickly, breakfast the next morning offered a good variety- homemade marmalade was very tasty as was the coffee. All in all it was a nice play to stay if you need to be in dedza.

Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Ely
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2013

After 3 attempts via email and phone to book 2 rooms for 2 nights, here, I wasn't too surprised to find confusion when we arrived. An inexperienced employee was blamed and we were upgraded to very pleasant, clean, well-appointed rooms with a lovely view, However, my minibar was non-existent. TV functioned but channels limited, to say the least.

Meals were average with acceptable service.

I feel an opportunity is being wasted here: this is a lovely place - chase up / complete / check bookings and make guests feel wanted. I usually tip generously but didn't feel I received more than a very basic level of service.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Caroline H
Lilongwe, Malawi
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2012

We camped here in October 2012. For the price (about $4 per person) we were quite happy. Campers have use of a separate bathroom and shower facility which was clean and pleasant. There are rarely other campers so you'll probably have it to yourself. The campsite itself is nothing to love but you're not there to spend a bunch of time in your tent anyway.

The pottery is a great place to stop in at. The food was tasty and quick and the ambiance of the restaurant was lovely. Maybe I've been in Malawi for too long but we thought the cheesecake lived up to it's reputation - delicious. Staff were friendly and helpful; we had none of the issues with ambiance or attentiveness previously mentioned. We hiked in the surrounding mountains and had great views. Overall a fun weekend (or day) trip from Lilongwe or a good stopover between Lilongwe and Blantyre.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank sp12363
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

It is quite unexpected to find a lodge attached to a pottery, but there it is. The rooms are comfortable and attractively furnished with pottery, among other things. The beds were comfortable, the room was spacious and everything (TV, shower, hot water) worked. The view is pleasant as the lodge is surrounded by very well kept gardens. Each room has a pleasant verandah. The food is excellent, if a little slow coming. However, as we waited we enjoyed the spectacular sunset. The sun slipped behind the mountain as we watched. We were working so couldn't visit the nearby rock paintings, which was a pity. However we did buy some lovely pottery which is now being shipped back home.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
leeds
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2012

It's not often I write a really bad review but here goes.
Check-in was a bit pitiful and the situation didn't get much better as things panned out. A quick check around the room showed that we had a range of bottles, a socket but no fridge. Back to reception where I was told "go and see Samuel in the cafe" so I find Old Sam and break him off from his gossiping and he says the fridge in my room is away for repair. "So get one from another room" too much trouble it seems so we have to swap rooms to next door. They do have a fridge here the bottom of which was running with a bright orange liquid but ho hum I want my lunch and I just can't be bothered to go on. They have cats running around the place and they jump up on the tables and eat off the plates at any chance they get. This place is famed for the cheesecake - well if the staff could be transported by magic carpet to Mamuska in Mapperley, Nottingham where they do real cheescake they would all die of shame. I can't be bothered to tell you the trouble we had ordering two bottles of beer at lunch time but their coffee was sort of okay. You have to order meals an hour or so in advance as they're not over run with customers (I wonder why). Even so dinner was just plain bad so we drowned our sorrows in two bottles of (credit where its due) very good white wine - one on the porch outside our room. The wood yard next door keeps up a din all night so you need something to send you off. Breakfast was no great shakes but look on the bright side we're only here for one night and it's time to go. Check-out was chaos too but I had a feeling it would be, backwards and forwards between the bar and the reception speaking to some of the surliest people I met in all my time in Malawi. They wanted to charge 5% to use my debit card but this wasn't an issue as the phone line was down - probly not their fault but there was no need to show such glee.
I didn't leave a tip.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Winchester
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2012

We stopped off here a few times on the trip from Lilongwe to Blantyre and found the restaurant and bar very friendly and served some great food. Only problem was the speed of service which did take some time.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Riethoven, The Netherlands
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2012

We stayed one night at the campsite of the pottery. We had selected this place because of the convenient location and because it is a community initiative.
Our experience was a little disappointing. The pottery factory itself is very beautiful and provides good jobs for the community. The tourist facilities however were lacking attention. The small campsite was not well maintained, e.g. the grassy path to the ablutions block was not mowed. Staff was not very attentive.
The ablutions were not clean. We were given a key to unlock the main door, but one of the toilets was very dirty.
We had dinner in the restaurant, and quality of the food was very good, but atmosphere was lacking. We were the only guests in the house, but we had to ask to turn the volume of the stereo down.
The surrounding landscapes are beautiful, and the pottery is nice to have a look and buy souvenirs.
All in all, we believe this is a promising place, if staff would get some better training in how to service guests.

Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dedza
Thumbi View Lodge
#1 of 46 in Lilongwe
Mgoza Lodge
Mgoza Lodge
#3 of 19 in Cape Maclear

Been to Dedza Pottery Lodge? Share your experiences!