“Pub Food at its Finest”

The Red Lion
Ranked #3 of 3 Restaurants in Gilmorton
Cuisines: British
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Leicester, United Kingdom
“Pub Food at its Finest”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 6, 2012

The Red Lion at Gilmorton serves some of the best home cooked food that we have tasted in the Midlands. It is rare to be able to say this but it really does taste as though only the best ingredients are used and the kitchen staff really can deliver on flavour. From the moment you step over the threshold - decorated beautifully for Xmas - you sense that in this place the staff work as a team and they really care about the quality of your dining experience. It is friendly, welcoming, and just the sort of place to spend a lunch-time or evening over a welcome glass of wine savouring the sort of food that simply melts in the mouth. It is difficult to pinpoint the best dishes because everything we tasted was so good - but whoever cooks the scallops starter deserves a big cheer - perhaps though the biggest surprise are the soups of the day - made on the premises I am told by a member of staff who clearly has elevated soup-making into an art form. Try it and you will experience just how special big, hearty, melt-in the mouth flavours can be in every spoonful - more, please!
The Red Lion in Gilmorton really is serving Pub Food at Its Finest and if you haven't visited recently then you are missing out on a very fine dining experience. Hope to see you there before they get booked up because there is no question that this is a 'find'.
Quite literally, the word-of-mouth is that this Leicester hostelry truly deserves a 5-star rating - keep up the great cooking!
Dr Elizabeth Hurren and Professor Steven King

• Visited December 2012
1 Thank Elizabeth H
adrienne_king1, Owner at The Red Lion, responded to this review, December 8, 2012
Hi - thank you so much for your comments. I have worked very hard for 6 and a half years to achieve what and where we are today. I have a great team - the greatest in fact - who support me in everything I set out to do. Obviously things can go wrong but we hope that on the rare occasions that they do that we can put them right. The feed back that you have given us is so gratifying and I am so pleased that you recognise our achievements. Our soup is mainly made by a lady who lives up the road (Glynis) - yes, we have our own soup dragon! - but all the kitchen staff are operating to very high standards, lead by our head chef Stephen Moore who just gets better and better. In the bar/restaurant area we have outstanding staff lead by me (abrupt older woman?!) who all constantly exceed my expectations. I hope that we can welcome you to the Red Lion again very soon where it will be a pleasure to serve you. Adrienne

Lutterworth, United Kingdom
“A real proper English country pub that serves great food and beer at a reasonable price with a smile.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2012

I love this place, great real ale and real food not pre cooked chain pub rubbish. I love the Steaks which are from a locally reared herd. It is good to see a place that uses local produce and supports local suppliers. I have tried most things on the menu and have never had any cause to complain. My friends and I often eat here early doors after a day out in the country, we are made very welcome and fed a hearty tasty meal at a great price washed down with a pint of real ale whilst we are warmed by the fire. Well done to the owner/ landlady and her team. You deserve to be successful .

adrienne_king1, Owner at The Red Lion, responded to this review, November 29, 2012
Thank you for your comments. It's nice to know that our hard work is paying off and I am delighted that you have taken the trouble to post such a complimentary review. I will pass your comments on to all the staff. Thank you again. Adrienne
UK
“Reliable local fare!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2012

My wife and I have used this friendly pub-restaurant several times and have always enjoyed the experience. The quality of the food is very good, and not too expensive even without the early bird freebies. We have come to rely on this place for an unfussy, tasty meal out that doesn't break the bank. Much better than the usual pub grub!

• Visited October 2012
Rugby, Warwickshire, United kingdom
“First visit”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2012

We chose the Red Lion for an evening out with friends as it was not too far out from Rugby and the menu online looked reasonably priced with good choices. When we arrived our table was waiting for us. It was the only vacant table in the room, very busy for a Friday night, so we were pleased we had booked. The waitress was attentive but not obtrusive and took our orders efficiently.
The food arrived piping hot and cooked to perfection, the salad had a delicious dressing and the chips were home cooked. Delicious! We particularly liked the freshness of the food and that it was locally sourced. The Stilton sauce was the best I have ever tasted and definitely not out of a packet! The red lion at gillmorton is on our list of restaurants to visit again.

• Visited September 2012
Leicester
“Groupon Voucher”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2012

We decided to try The Red Lion after it was featured on Groupon.

We rang up to make a reservation for a mid-week evening in February(stating that we had a Groupon voucher). We were told that they had no availability until the end of March. We were shocked, but thought that it must be excellent on account of how busy they are.

We arrived for our reservation to a near empty restaurant - The first clue that Groupon customers aren't welcome. They obviously were only allowing a certain amount of Groupon customers per week to reserve a table.

We were greeted by a very abrupt older woman at the bar who asked us our name. We told her and instead of showing us to our table, she said "your table is through there" and just pointed at the restaurant. We weren't sure which table was ours, so we just picked one. The waitress came through with our drinks and made us feel awkward that we'd sat at the wrong table.

When ordering the food, again with the older woman, she was abrupt and disinterested.

The food was average and not worth a return. As others have said, The Goose is a much better experience.

I do wonder why these places decide to put a deal on Groupon, and then completely ruin a chance to gain new customers by treating the people with a voucher as less than.

• Visited March 2012
1 Thank Sezsez
adrienne_king1, Owner at The Red Lion, responded to this review, October 21, 2012
We are sorry that you were disappointed with your visit to us using a Groupon voucher. It would have been very helpful if you had discussed any issues that you had with us on the evening rather than waiting 7 months to post a review. Groupon was very successful for us and we have had huge amounts of repeat business from the offer - please do read our other reviews. Groupon themselves told us to restrict the number of Groupon tables although in reality we far exceeded the number of bookings we orginally allocated, on a daily basis. The offer ran from October to March and we did find that many people left booking until the very end of the offer before booking and were then surprised that there was limited availability. We have a TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence, we are Marstons Cask Ale Pub of the Year this year and were finalists for the overall competition (that's from around 1200 pubs). We have also previously been runners up in the food category. I would ask that you give me a call so that we can discuss a way that you might give us another chance to prove why we have so many regular customers, both returning Groupon voucher holders, and other satisfied clients, based on a reputation I have worked hard to build up over six and a half years.