“Dogs with humans welcome”
Review of The Huntsman

The Huntsman
Ranked #2 of 3 Restaurants in Eridge
Cuisines: Pub
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Oxted, United Kingdom
“Dogs with humans welcome”
Reviewed August 18, 2014

We found The Huntsman via a recommendation as the most dog friendly place in SE England. WE agree. Although the menu is limited the food and staff are excellent. Worth a diversion--south of Tunbridge Wells.

Visited July 2014
1 Thank JDUBS1

Royal Tunbridge Wells, United Kingdom
“Spot on!”
Reviewed August 17, 2014

I ate here with the family last Wednesday, which as it turned out was a quiz night, which they have on alternate wednesday nights. We weren't intending to join in but we did and thoroughly enjoyed it, as it seems did the whole of the rest of the pub, every table was full. Even my kids had a go. We ate whilst playing, my wife had the cod and chips which was fantastic, lovely beer batter, and was huge. I had the steak and guinness pie, again large portions, and was just lovely. The kids had scampi, and sausage and mash with onion gravy. Both looked lovely and all was eaten!
I didnt have room for pudding but the kids shared an ice cream, and my wife had the homemade cheesecake. The staff were very attentive all evening and seemed to really enjoy what they were doing. Great atmosphere and quirky decor, we really enjoyed it and will definitely be back, even though we didn't win the quiz!!

• Visited August 2014
West Sussex, United Kingdom
“Proper Pub”
Reviewed July 28, 2014

Happened across the Huntsman last year when out walking. From the outside you wonder what you may let yourself in for but this is a pub...full and proper. Yes its frequented by locals who seem glued to the bar as if its their own drinking club, but you dont have to loiter for long before one of the staff will see you and get you served. Its quirky with a miss mash of furnishings but it makes such a difference compared to 'gastro pubs'. I dont think it pretends to be anything but a pub but one that does really great food from its 'selected' small menu. Only usually 5/6 to choose from but what there is usualluy very very good. We often take our children with us and they are always made to feel really welcom and there is always a great selection of 'treats' for them other the usual crisps. For the adults the selection of crisps and nuts are great. At Christmas we went just for a drink and were honoured to be there for the formal Christmas tree light switch on with free hot nibbles and mince pies. At anythime throughout the year you will find all sorts of events going on all of which have a great atomsphere - even if you arent a local - yes, the locals support it strongly, but thats whats keeping it going. Has a great outdoor seating area and plenty of grass for the kids to belt around on. Dont miss the downstairs bar with its quirky set of 'doors' - you will see what I mean. This is a great pub, run by a young couple who work hard to make it a welcoming place for all. If you want a pub with atmosphere this is recommended, the locals may discourage you but I urge you to look beyond and you'll find a little treasure.

1 Thank robnotso
Kent
“Confused Identity”
Reviewed July 20, 2014

Visited The Huntsman after seeing such great reviews so had high expectations. Initial impression when walking past the outside tables was not good. Swearing and loud clientele is not something I want to hear, especially when eating. Anyway, a very friendly welcome by the waitress was appreciated and we were sat close (unfortunately) to the bar. Each table is very unique (I liked this creativity and sense of fun!) The menu is on the blackboard next to the bar which is probably okay if there was no-one standing by the bar, but there was a gentleman enjoying his drink which meant we had to either stand right next to him, or look over his head which is not ideal! We didn't realise that they also don't do starters. Anyway, service very very good and we had the steak and lamb - both good (although husband's steak was more rare than medium rare but not a problem so didn't feel the need to raise this at the time). During our main course, some more locals arrived and one chap in particular was talking exceptionally loud and swearing and whilst we tried to tune out of his boring tale, it was not the type of environment for enjoying a nice evening meal. Fortunately, the bar manager/owner realised and told him to "ssshhh". Had he not, I think I would have said something myself! There was no menu for desserts; just the waitress telling us what was available. Crème brulee was yummy. The downside of there being no dessert menu is that we had no idea the price and was surprised to see it as £6.95 when we got the bill! I didn't think at the time of ordering to ask. Anyway, what stood out was definitely the service....really really good. Food was good too. Just let down by the noisy locals and upon leaving as we walked through the seating area out the front, we were subjected to more locals burping and swearing. Sadly, we probably won't return as I couldn't make out whether this is more of a local pub with food, or a restaurant with a bar in country settings. I was deciding on 3 or 4 star and the service just nudges it to 4 star.

London, United Kingdom
“What a lovely pub”
Reviewed July 4, 2014

What a lovely pub! brilliant service, staff were lovely, brilliant food, a very good atmosphere! Will deffinatly be visiting again soon!

4 Thank AGBurton2014