“Gone Downhill” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #12 of 22 Restaurants in Winterset
Fountain Hills, Arizona
“Gone Downhill”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2013

When I visited this bakery in 2010 I couldn't say enough good things about it, so I was anxious to return, so much so that we camped overnight in town so we could go a couple of times. The first visit was so sad we thought they must be having an off day, so we went again at 7am the next day when things should have been fresh and wonderful. Unfortunately things weren't any better. Even at 7am there wasn't much selection - one very sad maple long john left which was why I came. The doughnuts and twists they did have were flat and "meaty" , as my husband said, required much serious chewing. Three years ago the airiness just melted in your mouth. I hate to badmouth a small business that would be a real addition to the community, but these baked goods aren't worth wasting the calories on.

• Visited September 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Toledo, Ohio
“Sad”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2012

These use to be great doughnuts. I go to the bakery and also visit two retail establishments that they supply. They have significantly cut back on their products. Very few nuts on the tops and very little filling. Will have to find a new favorite bakery.

Visited February 2012
Champaign, Illinois
“Great doughnuts that even The Duke would love”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2011

Visiting during Winterset, Iowa's John Wayne Birthday Celebration gives one a reason to walk around the lovely downtown. That, in turn, works up an appetite.

On the town square, my wife and I found Bakery Unlimited, hoping to find something a bit out of the ordinary. Boy, did we find that!

The bakery offers homemade breads, pies, and noodles as well as a variety of pastries. We had the absolute best glazed doughnuts and a strawberry filled roll (with real strawberry as a garnish). The dough was solid and still airy, giving it a great chewy mouthfeel that stood up to the glaze. The pastries were remarkably not greasy as some deep fried goods can be.

Bakery Unlimited also offers wi-fi and very friendly service. And rather than rush rolls out, if they run out, then they run out. The place was a little dark, but it wasn't a deal breaker.

We planned to sample more of the goods that we bought but our travelling companion snatched them up and downed the rest of them. We can't say we blame her one bit. And I guess that means we'll have to visit there again next time we pass through the home of John Wayne.

• Visited May 2011