“Clint Eastwood Ate Here in The Bridges of Madison County Movie”
Review of Northside Cafe

Northside Cafe
Ranked #1 of 22 Restaurants in Winterset
Description: The Northside Café is located in a historic building built in 1876 by Eli Cox on the north side of the Winterset town square, across the street from the Madison County Courthouse. The Bridges of Madison County was written from our window seat booth (John Wayne booth), and was featured in the 1995 film “The Bridges of Madison County”, based on the Robert James Waller novel of the same name. In the Film the café is where Robert Kincaid (Clint Eastwood) meets Lucy Redfield (Michele Benes). Our café has been part of the presidential candidate circuit going back decades, and our upstairs has served as City Hall and Opera house in the 1800’s
Reviewed July 11, 2014

While visiting area attractions, I stopped here for dinner recently. This restaurant is located in an historic building circa 1876 with very high ceilings and has been in business for 100 years. A counter/bar with stools stretches the length of the restaurant, which is long and narrow. Booths line the wall. There is a sign in the window stating that Clint Eastwood ate here. I ordered grilled chicken with grilled vegetables served over brown rice. The chicken was delicious as were the vegetables which were grilled to perfection. The lemonade was homemade and refreshing on a hot day and the server was extremely friendly. I would return if ever I am in the area again.

1  Thank djphotos

Reviewed June 1, 2014

My brother in law live one block from the North Side so it was natural to meet them for a few meals. We had breakfast twice and Friday supper. Friday was a special baby back rib night. The food was very good and the place was packed. It is actually bigger than it looks from the outside. The breakfast was very good with the usual basic breakfast fare. The prices seemed fair. I must point out that they have a nice selection of local beers which was a nice surprise.

1  Thank Michael V
Reviewed May 26, 2014

We ate here on Friday before attending a musical in Winterset. Service was very good. We had the hot roast beef sandwich, it was hot and delicious. We'll go back again!

1  Thank Lakerfantoo
Reviewed March 4, 2014

This is a great café with wonderful food. While you can order and be very satisfied with the typical café fare such as burgers, hot beef sandwiches, etc., the Northside also offers up great pastas, steaks, and some really unique foods that have a Louisiana flare. This location has been a restaurant for over 100 years, and the owners have done a great job of preserving the history while also making it a warm and inviting place to dine. Check it out, and then enjoy a walk around the Winterset Square, and a visit to the John Wayne Birthplace.

1  Thank JDP1477
Reviewed January 7, 2014

even though I'm a local, I haven't been there much until lately because for a while they depended to much on being "in the movie". I understand that the management has changed so I tried it. It is much better than it was for awhile, so I have been there some lately. Don't go in with high hopes and you'll be happy with your fare.