“Well worth the stop for John Wayne fans!”

John Wayne Birthplace & Museum
Ranked #1 of 20 things to do in Winterset
More attraction details
Owner description: Tour the modest 4-room home where John Wayne was born, and visit the John Wayne Birthplace Museum featuring the largest diversified exhibit of John Wayne artifacts in existence, including original movie posters, film wardrobe, scripts, letters, artwork and sculpture--even one of his customized automobiles. Admission includes the Museum, a guided tour of the Birthplace house, and a small theater with a documentary on John Wayne's life, with a special welcome by his daughter Aissa.
Reviewed April 27, 2014

Growing up I always enjoyed John Wayne's movies. As I got older I learned to respect the man and the values he worked to promote in his roles. When we moved to Omaha this February I had no idea The Duke was born in this part of the world. I have to wonder if his ties to the Midwest had something to do with the values he portrayed.

Nevertheless, my work requires me to travel around the Midwest and today my wife and I made a stop to visit the Birthplace of John Wayne. Only 14 miles off the Interstate! :)

We enjoyed visiting the house where he was born but I was a little disappointed and confused about not being able to take pictures of the interior of the house. Not that it mattered because I figure the $14 was for a good cause, preservation of all things John Wayne but it felt kind of slick that nothing was said about pictures until after we paid the tour fee.

If it wasn't so far from Omaha, I would take people when they visit but if you get the chance, take the 28 mile round-trip detour and relive some memories when the United States was a better place.

1  Thank EC170131

Reviewed April 22, 2014

Also saw the Bridges of Madison County and rural area. Nice break from driving I-35 from Minnesota to Kansas. Have driving past the area too many times over the years. Nice side trip and worth the stop.

Reviewed April 15, 2014

We thought the cost was too high for the tour. We only visited the gift shop and took pictures of the building and the statue outside.

1  Thank Diane P
Reviewed April 7, 2014

The house is located in a residential neighbourhood with on street parking only. Nothing special about the simple small white house. The Gift Shop sells everything John Wayne. Has a large collection of plates mounted on its walls of the Duke, and a large screen playing DVD's of his movies. For me the most remarkable revelation was a 1930 colour picture of Marion Mitchell Morrison at 23 before he assumed the well-known stage name.

Reviewed March 27, 2014

This was OK, not really anything special. I guess it was interesting. The town of Winterset though is pretty impressive, and worth the visit.