“Getting tired.....”

Cozy House & Suites
Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Williamsburg
Reviewed August 8, 2012

My wife and I spent the night at one of our favorite places from the past in the Amana Colonies. The BW Cozy Suites is still a very attractive nightly stop. The lobby is the same it has been for decades, same cozy furniture and the pool area is attractive with the indoor - outdoor pool.
BUT........
We found our room furniture to be the same as it was decades ago....sitting in them was very uncomfortable. The bed was the same way, we both rolled toward each other all night long and the mattress sagged deeply when you sat on them. The towel were small and on their last leg. We did find the WI FI to be OK. Breakfast is nothing special, but enough to get you going. If the owners would put some money into the basics at this motel, it would again be a comfortable overnight stop. If not this will be our last stop at an old favorite. Check out the room before you stay.................

Room Tip: Check out your room before you swipe your credit card........
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MNrumrunner
There are newer reviews for Cozy House & Suites

Reviewed July 3, 2012

I took my family to this hotel last winter for a overnight stay and some shopping at the outlet center.....Staff and accomidations were great......The main draw for us was the neat pool,The main pool was the typical stuff but a channel leads tot he outside and another smaller pool that was really cool to out in when there was cold temps and snow on the ground,My 6 year old grandaughter had a blast swimming "Outside" in the middle of winter! I recommend this Best Western!

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank Jerry455
Reviewed August 19, 2011

We stayed here on our trek through the NE quadrant of Iowa for a family road-trip-style vacation. I wanted something convenient to the Amanas with breakfast, and this ended up being our choice. Generally we were pleased - rooms were quite spacious, with two double beds and a sitting area with couch, chair, and both coffee and writing tables. Everything was clean and the place in general was pretty nice for the price range, sort of loosely keeping with the Amana theme by means of incorporating antiques (for example, one of our room lamps was made out of an old crock, and the phone in the lobby was antique-style).

The main complaint I had was with a few of the amenities that were promised but largely unusable. First of all, the free Wi-Fi was next to unusable. There appeared to be two Wi-Fi networks for the building, and I could get neither of them in our room, using both a laptop and an iPhone to test them. On our second day there I found that if I sat in the corner of the hotel room near the bathroom, I could eek out enough signal to get *very slow* internet. Remember that nice seating area I mentioned above, with the couch, table, etc? Totally unusable if you needed the internet. I saw someone working in the lobby on a laptop so I have to believe this problem wasn't isolated to our room.

Our other issue was with the "fitness center". First, calling this tiny room a "center" is a bit laughable - it was barely large enough to hold the three small pieces of equipment that were in it. But worse, all three of those pieces of equipment didn't work. The treadmill was missing the safety key. The stepper wouldn't turn on (possibly dead batteries). The exercise bike was somewhat usable, but the display didn't work (again, likely dead batteries). When we were checking out my wife mentioned this and we were told we were supposed to check out the treadmill safety key from the front desk. Well, nice of them to tell us that. Even if the equipment worked, it was very much the sort of stuff you might buy at Wal-Mart, not anywhere near fitness club quality.

Anyway, it was generally a good place, just don't count on the WiFi working or getting a good workout.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
4  Thank Rehcsif
Reviewed August 4, 2011

This hotel has several "theme" decorated rooms. We stayed in the Victorian Room and it was lovely. It made it feel as if we were at a bed and breakfast, or a family member's guest room rather than at a hotel chain. The breakfast room did not have near enough table seating but had more than enough couches and chairs. Several people had to eat while holding their food plates in their laps. It was an adequate breakfast but not the best hot breakfast available. Thank goodness there was a McDonald's across the street! We have family in the area so we will be back for sure - and plan to try a different themed room next year. Great place for families - the indoor/outdoor pool looked very inviting!

Room Tip: My suggestions to improve the room would be to add a darkening shade on the window and replace the t...
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank mdw50
Reviewed July 27, 2011

My wife and I stayed here with about 24 other family members from all over. The hotel is conviently located off of the interstate, close to the Tangier Outlet Mall and the Amana Colonies. The lobby is great for larger groups to gather and the indoor/outdoor pool is great for the kids. Some of the rooms smell like smoke pretty badly. I wish they would make the entire hotel smoke-free. Overall, our experience was about what you would expect for a BW in the middle of nowhere. Room prices could be cheaper though.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank rcooper1122
Reviewed November 22, 2010

Where do I start? We were traveling with our children age's 2 and 10. To start off we were promised a "HOT" breakfast at check-in which turned out to be.... burnt gravy and egg pucks that you were suppose to heat up in a broken microwave!!! But to top it all off we stayed in room 103, and in room 105 we had a couple that kept us up while they were "knocking the headboard" ALL NIGHT OFF AND ON!! The front desk wouldn't answer the phone and when the manager that lives on site found out the next day she tried to flip it and make us sound like we had issues!! I wouldn't recommend this place to anyone!! I called the 866 number and requested to speak to the OWNER just to have the manager call and harrass me again!! The owner of the property doesn't care about the customer's just that there is $$ coming in! If you do want a good night sleep I wouldn't recommend staying here or ther super 8 attached! It isn't worth your money!!!

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with family
3  Thank maverick2851
Reviewed November 7, 2010

We stayed here gratis courtesy of a Best Western summer promotion where you stayed x number of nights and got a voucher to use later for a free night stay. The promotion was a good deal. That said, we did not pay the $90+ our room would have cost, but I will write this review as if it did. We stayed on a weekend night. Our room was a loft king, with a large sofa sleeper for the kids. While the room arrangement seemed nice, it was a bit dangerous having no bathroom upstairs. We found cobwebs in our room and areas of the carpet that had not been vacuumed. The room was very dark (nice) but the stairs to the lower level have dim safety lighting. The HVAC was very noisy and obtrusive. The king bed was so/so...certainly not new and not the comfy pillowtop that other chains are using. The sofa bed was fine. No troubles or problems with the bathroom, either...large, well lit, and it seemed remodeled. The hotel has a unique indoor/partially outdoor pool which is clever but allows the many fall leaves to make it dirty. And we found the pool to be quite chilly. A request to have it warmer was met with an abrupt "its up as high as it will go" response. Front desk staff was also quite concerned when I requested additional pillows and towels for our room- there were 4 of us and just 2 towels and four flat pillow. This hotel is also lacking for a good breakfast. Other chains at similar price points offer a much better breakfast; the choices here were very continental, sparse, and unimpressive. If you can score a good discount, coupon, or promotion this might be an ok choice, otherwise I would look elsewhere...mainly there is a Super 8 attached to the other end of this hotel and if you don't mind not having a pool it might be a much better value.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank readittoday
Also consider these accommodations in or near Williamsburg
Best Inn Cozy House & Suites
#1 of 1 in Homestead
AmericInn Coralville
AmericInn Coralville
#17 of 21 in Coralville

Been to Cozy House & Suites? Share your experiences!