“A Really Nice Dorm... or Hospital and that's not a Bad Thing”

Candlewood Suites - Des Moines
Ranked #18 of 22 Hotels in West Des Moines
Reviewed July 18, 2012

When I first entered the Candlewood I immediately though "hospital" or "dormitory." The high security entrance and the nondeacript lobby evoked the sterile and clinical environments we all are familiar with. However, the helpful desk staff had me in my room within minutes.

The newly remodeled room features a kitchen area and a sleeping area. The floor vinyl and carpet reminiscent of my hospital stay. The desk and dresser area offer plenty of work and storage. The LCD TV was anchored to the wall and offered great viewing for all areas of the room. The queen bed ( no kings in this place ) had soft sheets and a comforter beginning to show some wear from frequent washing. (I will consider this a plus ). The bathnroom was large and newly remodeled. Like the kitchen, the counters were granite-quartz and has the sleek IKEA look. The water and water pressure were amazing. I had hot water and amazing water pressure. I have seldom enjoyed a shower so much.

The front desk staff were very helpful and friendly. The public areas inside were IMMACULATE. The folks who clean the place deserve high marks.

Although the services at the hotel are minimal, the price definitely justifies the lack of services. However, if I were not getting a rebate through an awesome promotion, I would probably not tolerate having the room serviced. My ratings would be much lower if it were not for the promotion. The rebate promotion made this the best value in town.

I understand that long term stay hotels like Candlewood do not offer daily maid service to long term guests. This practice saves money and keeps rates low. However, short term guests who pay a higher daily rate expect more in regard to having he room refreshed.

• Stayed: July 2012
2  Thank TomRiedmiller
There are newer reviews for Candlewood Suites - Des Moines

Reviewed July 14, 2012

I travel for work. My husband and I picked this hotel on our way to visit our parents after the birth of our first son. Staff is amazing, the rooms are new, CLEAN, modern and well stocked. I prefer my room here to the high end W Hotel rooms I've booked for work -- seriously. Laundry (wash) is free and they have an "honor bar" with food that you can eat/cook that are not high priced and that you sign out and charge to your room. I LOVE THIS PLACE.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 6, 2012

Nice place. Clean - roomy and comfortable; however there were issues with our fridge.
Nice layout in the room.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed June 30, 2012

We are traveling over the July 4th weekend, and all hotels were booked that accepted dogs. We stayed here at Candlewood Suites and thought for the price it would be fine but not great. TO our suprise, the room which was alledgedly a smoking room didn't smell at all! Clean, neat, hardwood floors, great room and the front desk attendant helped us get acquainted with the free video rental and complimentary store area. They had doggy bag dispensers at well in the dog park area, and it is very close to a very high end shopping center. Overall an excellent experience.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed June 23, 2012

Was a little worried when I pulled up to this hotel as I have had a couple bad experiences at these older style Candlewood's that have this particular building design in the past, however, not so with this place, this was a great hotel.

The primary reason is that this hotel has already undergone it's room renovation, many of these older Candlewoods are being remodeled in 2012 and are in various stages of remodel, some had gotten pretty run down and desperately needed renovating. This Candlewood was the first one I've seen this year that had the new rooms designed by graduate students at Savannah College of. Art and Design. Their design is really classy and modern looking also very functional and comfortable as well. I did not post any pictures of the new rooms but the ones shown on Tripadvisor here are old.

A couple things in my room had not been upgraded yet like the dishwasher, fridge and carpet and while they didn't go with the new decor they still were functional.

Wireless Internet worked well, download speeds were around 3Mbps which was decent, didn't have any problems streaming video even when the hotel was full.

Location is good, West Des Moines is probably the nicest area of the city or at least the nicest part that I've seen in my travels. The hotel is right next to a Motel 6 but it's actually one of the nicer looking Motel 6's I've ever seen.

Cleanliness was good, my housekeeper was a guy, I have only seen maybe 3 or 4 male housekeepers total in more then 600 hotel stays but he seems to do a good job.

All in all I had a good stay, I don't really have many complaints, I guess the only real complaint is that I did not get an automatic room upgrade for being a PC Platinum Elite member as I typically do in IHG hotels.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed June 7, 2012

This place was impressive as far as the rooms , nice lay out and modern ; clean . Man at the desk was friendly and told me about the great place to have breakfast the next day but we were out all the next day and returned to the hotel by 10:30pm (sign says office closes at 11:00pm) and I asked if he could print out boarding passes for me but he said "the systems" are all down and he was talking to "corporate". So I went to my room only to find the room had not been cleaned or towels and coffee had not been replenished so I went back down to lobby(2 minutes) and he was gone . I had to go to their "honor system" store and buy coffee for the next mourning at $1.50 each . That's not a lot for a pack of coffee but just felt that it's usually free and even on the week ends your room is cleaned

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed February 7, 2012

I've stayed at this location several times over the years, but most recently to visit friends and use a Points Break offer. It's location is the highlight - being so close to the mall, but other than that it's just your run of the mill extended stay hotel.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo