“Oh for FSM sake!”

Candlewood Suites - Des Moines
Ranked #18 of 22 Hotels in West Des Moines
Reviewed December 28, 2011

I found this property great. No, it's not fancy. It's very basic. But it's immaculately clean, well-maintained and a great bargain. One review noted that there are no ice machines. No, there are no ice machines in the HALLS. But each room has a full sized refrigerator with it's own ice maker, plus a stovetop, full sized microwave, dishwasher, dishes and silverware, pots and pans, toaster, and coffeemaker. Even a garbage disposer. Coffee and microwave popcorn included. And a little convenience store next to the FREE guest laundry and fitness room, where you can get food to prepare in your room, plus snacks and sodas--all on the honor system. Pay by putting the cash in the slot, or a slip with your room number and prices of what you took and they'll put it on your room tab. High speed wired and wireless internet access--free--with speeds that are usable but not blazing fast. The property is quiet, and in a small grouping of hotels of various price points and flags. The front desk personnel were very friendly and eager to please. I am disabled and walk with a crutch, but I never reserve handicapped rooms, but the first thing the young lady who checked me in was concerned about was if I needed a room with an accessible bathtub or any other features. I assured her I didn't need these. She placed me near a door on the first floor so it would be as easy as possible for me to get my stuff in, but happily moved me upstairs when I said that I felt safer there, and made sure my room was close to but NOT across from or adjacent to the elevator.

I see reviews of this property complaining that the TVs are not large flat panels, that there are no soup spoons in the rooms, that it's "no frills," "dated," and "tired and dingy." One even suggested that it cost "nearly as much as most other hotels in the area." Really? Something other than the Motel 6 was nearly as cheap as this property's full rack rate of $79/night? And do these "nearly as cheap" rooms have full sized fridges, stovetops, full sized microwaves, dishes, pots and pans, dishwashers, and pretty much everything--including the kitchen sink? The Hampton Inn nearby has rooms with just beds--no fridge, no microwave, nothing like a kitchen--same for the nearby Fairfield Inn--so much for Hilton and Marriott. The Hampton's rack rate is a whopping $139, and the Fairfield's a more reasonable $84. For MUCH smaller rooms with far fewer features, though both are much "fancier."

I don't know that you could do much better for less than $80/night. Certainly not in the Des Moines area.

Room Tip: This is just a really great value. Unless you really want to pay a lot more to get a fancier room...
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank spookiewon319

Reviewed November 25, 2011

I spent 45 days at this property. This is basic extended stay property. No-frills lodging. The hotel nice and clean for its age. I really enjoyed being close to the mall, nice restaurants, and the interstate.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed November 15, 2011

Despite reporting a remodeled status in the past 2 years this hotel is clearly 'dated'. Everything from constantly broken washing machines that leaked all over the floors and into the main hallway. There didn't seem to be an overly focused effort to make a permanent repair. The television in my room was something from the past. Must have been a 20" TUBE TV that was frustrating to watch when one is used to a larger 26" or higher LCD or Plasma. The hotel just doesn't inspire confidence in me all all. The staff I found to be mostly friendly one moment and the next totally disinterested. It is easy to understand why this particular Candlewood isn't popular with traveling business staff. I'd avoid it and go to the Staybridge instead.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed September 28, 2011

We have stayed at Candlewood before and I didn't remember it being so tired and dingy. The room was spacious, we had a two room suite. The floors were what got me though, they really needed deep cleaned and well really the walls and everything could of used a deep clean. Very disappointing since it cost nearly as much as most other hotels in the area. We woke to the smell of fire...my guess someone burned something in another room and it just went right through the vents. There were a lot of channels to pick from which was nice.
I do have to say that the guy at the front desk, I can't remember his name, but he was excellent at his job and i wanted to like the place on his behalf, but we won't be staying there anymore.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed September 24, 2011

We had never included a stay at Candlewood because we knew nothing about it. We made a late reservation and had no problem. We were surprised. It is not your typical hotel. Geared to long term stays it included a full kitchen, including dishes and silverware. The laundry was complimentry. The room was clean and good size. The young lady at the desk couldn't have been more pleasant. A good stay.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank jcwdz88
Reviewed August 5, 2011

We made reservations using points. We were to get a NON SMOKING room. When we arrived our room was 60 degrees and FREEEEEZING!! We shut the a/c down and went to check out the fitness room...VERY SMALL! When we came back to the room it smelled like something was burning. We called the desk and someone came up. The thermostat was broke on the wall so the air kept trying to cool as it said it was 80 degrees when it was NOT! We were put to manual on the vent. We put it on warm which then made EVERYTHING in the room WET!! And the SMOKE smell came out horrible. I asked the man when he came to our NON SMOKING room why we had ashtrays and matches.....he said this was the only room left but it was treated to not smell like smoke. UMMM the bed and sheets smelled like an old ashtray and when we got home the clothes in our suit case smelled like a smokers bar. This hotel was horrible with what we were to get and what we got. PLEASE read these reviews. I am very honest and this hotel did us WRONG with the SMOKE room and broken a/c. We were also told there was not another open room when the parking lot was less than half full. SO DISAPPOINTED!!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank SEA S
Reviewed December 22, 2010

I stay at this Candlewood Suites location on a regular basis. It can't be beat for the personal service and as a frequent traveler, I almost always get a free upgrade I have experienced very few minor issues in the last several years that I have stayed there and they are promptly addressed. I am very pleased with the value and service from the excellent staff.

Stayed: December 2010, traveled on business