I found this property great. No, it's not fancy. It's very basic. But it's immaculately clean, well-maintained and a great bargain. One review noted that there are no ice machines. No, there are no ice machines in the HALLS. But each room has a full sized refrigerator with it's own ice maker, plus a stovetop, full sized microwave, dishwasher, dishes and silverware, pots and pans, toaster, and coffeemaker. Even a garbage disposer. Coffee and microwave popcorn included. And a little convenience store next to the FREE guest laundry and fitness room, where you can get food to prepare in your room, plus snacks and sodas--all on the honor system. Pay by putting the cash in the slot, or a slip with your room number and prices of what you took and they'll put it on your room tab. High speed wired and wireless internet access--free--with speeds that are usable but not blazing fast. The property is quiet, and in a small grouping of hotels of various price points and flags. The front desk personnel were very friendly and eager to please. I am disabled and walk with a crutch, but I never reserve handicapped rooms, but the first thing the young lady who checked me in was concerned about was if I needed a room with an accessible bathtub or any other features. I assured her I didn't need these. She placed me near a door on the first floor so it would be as easy as possible for me to get my stuff in, but happily moved me upstairs when I said that I felt safer there, and made sure my room was close to but NOT across from or adjacent to the elevator.
I see reviews of this property complaining that the TVs are not large flat panels, that there are no soup spoons in the rooms, that it's "no frills," "dated," and "tired and dingy." One even suggested that it cost "nearly as much as most other hotels in the area." Really? Something other than the Motel 6 was nearly as cheap as this property's full rack rate of $79/night? And do these "nearly as cheap" rooms have full sized fridges, stovetops, full sized microwaves, dishes, pots and pans, dishwashers, and pretty much everything--including the kitchen sink? The Hampton Inn nearby has rooms with just beds--no fridge, no microwave, nothing like a kitchen--same for the nearby Fairfield Inn--so much for Hilton and Marriott. The Hampton's rack rate is a whopping $139, and the Fairfield's a more reasonable $84. For MUCH smaller rooms with far fewer features, though both are much "fancier."
I don't know that you could do much better for less than $80/night. Certainly not in the Des Moines area.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Come and experience our new Comforts of Home Bedding Collection. At the Candlewood Suites West Des Moines hotel, we put the amenities where they really count: in the room. Each suite has a fully equipped kitchen that includes a microwave oven, full-size refrigerator and 2 burner stove. Work efficiently at your over-sized desk with 2 phone lines and complimentary high-speed Internet. Relax in the overstuffed recliner while enjoying the DVD/VCR player. Borrow some of your favorites from our free video/CD library. Work off some stress in the fitness center or grab a snack from our Candlewood Cupboard where you can purchase meals, beverages, snacks and sundries at value prices. We are proud to be a pet friendly hotel (fees apply), which can be helpful when relocation with pets forces you to leave your old surroundings. Our location is perfect for business and leisure travelers alike. Located just 1 mile from the Wells Fargo offices in West Des Moines and the Jordan Creek Town Center Mall. Offices for State Farm Insurance, Farm Bureau and American Family Insurance are only minutes away. Downtown Des Moines is an easy drive (12 miles) and the Des Moines Airport is only 14 miles from the hotel. Enjoy the zoo or the best restaurants and entertainment the Des Moines area has to offer only minutes from the hotel. Also located nearby are HyVee Food Stores, Wal-Mart or Sam's Club and Target. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Priceline, Cancelon, HotelQuickly, Hotwire, getaroom.com and TripOnline SA so you can book your Candlewood Suites - Des Moines reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Candlewood Suites - Des Moines Hotel West Des Moines
- Candlewood Suites West Des Moines
- Candlewood West Des Moines
- West Des Moines Candlewood Suites