“Nice , quiet and relaxing.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hampton Inn Des Moines-West

Hampton Inn Des Moines-West
Ranked #3 of 22 Hotels in West Des Moines
Kalona, Iowa
“Nice , quiet and relaxing.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2013

I was pleased that our room was right an exit door, so, that we were quickly in and out. That has never happened before and quite pleasing. Other nice touches was the quick access to shopping and eating. the room lacked the typical yucky hotel smell. The towels did not smell like bleach, either..the breakfast was very good with an expanded menu. Nice! But, the sitting arrangements were a bit oddish. The staff was nice and helpful. the movie channel was interrupted with intermittent static, so, we ended up going to a movie at 9:30 at night.. Our room was quiet, but, i did notice you could hear the guest in the room next to us. the hot tub was nice but a little hard to get in and out of for having no steps, which i thought was odd being a handicapped room.

Room Tip: Looking at other remarks, I would suggest asking for a quiet room if the interstate noise is a bothe...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Lincoln, Nebraska
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2013

The hotel is very accessible from the interstate and close to shopping. The hotel is very clean and inviting. The complimentary breakfast is exceeds the usual fare. The AC/Heating units are extremely quiet for a hotel.
The only negative is the road noise from I-80. If you are a light sleeper you better bring earplugs or a white noise geneerator.

Room Tip: Due to the hotel's perpendicular orientation to the interstate, all rooms are exposed to the roa...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank trentandcindy
rhansenwdm, General Manager at Hampton Inn Des Moines-West, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your comments regarding your recent stay with us. We sincerely welcome and appreciate any feedback we receive from our guests.

I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. We do occasionally hear from our guests that they have heard some road noise from the interstate. My best recommendation for any guests who may be light sleepers would be to request a room on the north end of the property as any reported noise issues from that side of the hotel are extremely rare.

Thank you again for your comments. We do hope to have you as our guest again if your travels bring you back to the Des Moines area. Please do not hesitate to contact me at 515-223-4700 or by email at rhansen@ncghotels.com if I can be of any additional assistance, now or in the future.

Best Regards,

Ryan Hansen | General Manager
Hampton Inn - West Des Moines | 7060 Lake Drive | West Des Moines, IA 50266
P: 515.223.4700 | F: 515.221.1010
United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2013 via mobile

I am currently sitting in the loudest hotel room I've ever stayed in. There must be a distinction between rooms purchased on Hotwire and all others, because I am shocked the reviews are good. The road noise is awful. And the noise from the parking lot. But add the hall noise lasting until 2am, the paper this walls telling me exactly what my neighbors on both sides were talking about, squeaky pipes that began at 6am this morning and I'm about out of my mind. It's just so loud! The bed was fine. No outlets to plug in a phone near the bed. Very small room. No curtains so the room is bright as daylight with a light outside the window and only a blind to cover it. No chair so if you want to sit, you sit on the bed. A plus...pretty close to Jordan Creek so you can vacate the premises. Apparently I should have showed my HHonors card to get a decent room. Don't book with Hotwire if you can avoid it...not worth the horrid night.

• Stayed February 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments regarding your recent stay with us. We sincerely appreciate any feedback we receive from our guests. I do apologize for the noise issues interfering with the enjoyment of your stay. A couple of years ago, we did install a second pane of glass in all of our guest rooms to help alleviate the traffic noise. That has helped alleviate the road noise, and although we do periodically hear some road noise concerns from the interstate side of the building; we have found that even our noise sensitive guests have been very satisfied when placed in a room on the north side of the property, away from the interstate. Should your travels bring you to West Des Moines in the future, we would appreciate the chance to have you stay in another room to see if that provides a better experience for you.

I would love to hear what room you were in so that we may check the window seals as well as investigate the pipes you were hearing. I would also appreciate the opportunity to speak more at length with you specifically about your stay and what I can do to help rectify your less than satisfactory experience. If you are so inclined, I can be reached at 515-223-4700 or by email at rhansen@ncghotels.com.

Thank you again for your comments and please do not hesitate to contact me if I can be of additional assistance, now or in the future.

Best Regards,

Ryan Hansen | General Manager
Hampton Inn - West Des Moines | 7060 Lake Drive | West Des Moines, IA 50266
P: 515.223.4700 | F: 515.221.1010
Madison, Wisconsin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2013

The hotel was clean; the staff was nice; the bed was comfortable. As always, it was a little noisy in the lobby, night and day. The breakfast items were hot, but there wasn't quite enough space to sit, and the breakfast crowd was noisy. The food--oatmeal, make-your-own waffles, muffins, scrambled eggs kept warm, was filling, but not to my particular taste.

Room Tip: The floors above the first floor are quieter.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Des Moines, Iowa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2013

Ordinarily, I wouldn't have an opportunity to review this hotel, but a when a recent blizzard left us without power and looking for a warm, bright place to stay, we decided to try the Hampton. What a lucky choice! In addition to having power (!), the hotel was beautiful. Its warmth included not only the excellent heater in the room, but the friendliness and consideration of the staff. If we ever need a hotel in this area again, you can be sure it will be this Hampton.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Chicago
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2012

I stay in lots of Hamptons and this one is very nice. The lobby was recently remodeled and it would appear so were the rooms. Everything was as nice as any Hampton I've stayed in. The heater in the room was very quiet (unlike my last Hampton) and I could not even hear when it cycled on and off during the night. The full hot breakfast was very good and there's a very nice shopping mall (Jordan Creek) just a mile or so south of the hotel with several restaurants including PF Changs, Cheesecake Factory and Bravo Cucina Italiana.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
San Francisco
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2012

I was here on a business trip for a couple of nights. Normally I stay in the Hilton Garden Inn in West Des Moines, but they were sold out.

Happy:

- Room ready when I checked in early around noon

- Front desk always friend and helpful

- Reasonable rates

- Free Water and Breakfast (at least for this trip)

- Had "bag breakfast" to go for those in a hurry

Unhappy:

- Did not offer my HHonor water upon check in, and no water in the room either. When I went to the front desk to ask for a bottle, they were happy to oblige.

- My profile is for a queen or king bed in HHonors, but I got 2 doubles in the room, no bid deal, but they should have known

- Apparently breakfast was free, which is great, but no one told me, so I made arrangement to meet someone for breakfast somewhere else

- The hotel is practically on the free way, so there was a constant freeway "hum", not horrible as you can get used to it, but I would prefer to be at the Garden Inn where it is more quiet

- Paper cups in the room. Not a big deal, but it would be environmentally more friendly and more "classy" to have real glasses

- the Room had a little odor, maybe from old carpet, not horrible, but didn't smell clean.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business