“Newly remodeled Hampton - very nice”

Hampton Inn West Des Moines Lake Drive
Ranked #1 of 22 Hotels in West Des Moines
Reviewed November 30, 2012

I stay in lots of Hamptons and this one is very nice. The lobby was recently remodeled and it would appear so were the rooms. Everything was as nice as any Hampton I've stayed in. The heater in the room was very quiet (unlike my last Hampton) and I could not even hear when it cycled on and off during the night. The full hot breakfast was very good and there's a very nice shopping mall (Jordan Creek) just a mile or so south of the hotel with several restaurants including PF Changs, Cheesecake Factory and Bravo Cucina Italiana.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business

Reviewed November 16, 2012

I was here on a business trip for a couple of nights. Normally I stay in the Hilton Garden Inn in West Des Moines, but they were sold out.

Happy:

- Room ready when I checked in early around noon

- Front desk always friend and helpful

- Reasonable rates

- Free Water and Breakfast (at least for this trip)

- Had "bag breakfast" to go for those in a hurry

Unhappy:

- Did not offer my HHonor water upon check in, and no water in the room either. When I went to the front desk to ask for a bottle, they were happy to oblige.

- My profile is for a queen or king bed in HHonors, but I got 2 doubles in the room, no bid deal, but they should have known

- Apparently breakfast was free, which is great, but no one told me, so I made arrangement to meet someone for breakfast somewhere else

- The hotel is practically on the free way, so there was a constant freeway "hum", not horrible as you can get used to it, but I would prefer to be at the Garden Inn where it is more quiet

- Paper cups in the room. Not a big deal, but it would be environmentally more friendly and more "classy" to have real glasses

- the Room had a little odor, maybe from old carpet, not horrible, but didn't smell clean.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 22, 2012

We used this facility to house our staff as well as those attending a conference we were conducting at a venue nearby. The Hampton staff was most accommodating; the rooms were perfect and met staff needs-both personal and business; the breakfast was perfect and ready early; and the "living room" downstairs was a nice place to unwind and chit chat at the end of the day. Would recommend to anyone needing a place to stay whether for business or personal.

Room Tip: Did not use the spa so cannot rate.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 19, 2012

Our group of 18 stayed here for a conference down the road at the Hy-Vee Conference Center. We found this to be a top-notch Hampton Inn with a VERY friendly and responsive staff. The rooms and hallways were clean, comfy and crisp. The lobby was inviting, with comfortable chairs, and the breakfast was well-tended!!! In addition, this hotel is close to the highway, but there was no highway noise at night! Jodi & Liz helped us throughout the reservation process and once we arrived. Jodi even suggested a local restaurant for our departing dinner and reserved the hotel van to transport most of us there! Their efficient and upbeat support was much appreciated! Many thanks for alleviating a lot of the stress as we worked feverishly for two straight days!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed September 23, 2012

We stayed at the hotel for a soccer tournament this past weekend and I was very impressed. The rooms were clean and updated, when I called the hotel to make a reservation due to a mix up on my part with our team, "Betty" (?) at the front desk was very helpful in finding me a room. The check in was easy, the rooms are on the small side (double double) but still bigger than many hotels. The bed linens were clean and fresh, the rooms were quiet, and the breakfast staff absolutely busts their behinds to keep everything filled and clean. Good complimentary breakfast selection too! I Would definitely stay here again, this was better than a few Marriott's I have been at and at a much better price!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank kansasfamilyof5
Reviewed September 17, 2012

Stayed for two nights while in town for a soccer tournament. I was a bit concerned about the noise level as the hotel was full of boys from multiple teams, but I was amazed that once in our room how well insulated the walls were. This hotel is also close to HWY 235 and it you can barely hear any road noise. The room was large with 2 queen beds (comfortable) and bathroom was updated and CLEAN! Breakfast provided multiple options and was kept well stocked even though there were a lot of teenage boys eating throughout breakfast hours. Coffee and hot water and a variety of tea was also available all day which was a nice perk. All staff (front desk and housekeeping) were helpful.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 17, 2012

Stopped here on way to Estes Park, CO. We were pleasantly surprised at the amenities included - a very nice alcove for the computer/desk, a pleated window shade, good lighting, an AC/heat system that had a very low speed fan which brought in fresh air all the time so the room never felt stuffy or that you were in a gale-like breeze. Breakfast had loads of selections, incl. Denver omelets & turkey sausage. The price was good & we'd certainly stop here again.

Room Tip: even though it was near the interstate we had very little road noise in our room - ask for a room aw...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends